PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a re-shoot?

tcdev
01-04-2010, 11:57am
Last weekend my wife & I went to Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens with the express purpose of practicing our photography. We came away with a small selection of landscape, wildlife and a few macro shots.

After reviewing my work, I've decided that I'm not really happy with any of the photos, except for one, which I posted on AP (Wildlife) for C&C - but of course it's not perfect (nor did I expect it to be) and others have offered some helpful comments. I've been able to identify where most of my photos went wrong - boring composition, composition almost but not quite right, exposure issues, aperture issues, etc etc.

Anyway, to get to the point - does anyone here think there's much value in us "returning to the scene of the crime (against photography)" under similar weather conditions and attempting a re-shoot? Or should we simply move on and try another location. I'd prefer the latter (and the wife would need some convincing to return as she found it quite "boring"), but if there is real merit in re-shooting then I'd consider it. Or perhaps we should return, but only after we have more experience, say, in 6 months time? :confused013

TIA
Regards,

MarkChap
01-04-2010, 12:11pm
My personal opinion is to return and try again,

BUT, if you and your wife are both against the idea of returning to the same place, I would strongly suggest that you go somewhere else.
If you go with a preconceived idea then you won't get the most out of the opportunity, and will only be further disheartened if you don't achieve what you want.

So in your case I suggest somewhere else

kiwi
01-04-2010, 12:19pm
Id reshoot only to prove that changing/learning from last time actually works

gcflora
01-04-2010, 2:48pm
I'm been re-shooting several locations for about 6 months now every couple of weeks... one day I'll get 'em right ;)

Lani
01-04-2010, 3:56pm
If you find it boring then no....photography should be fun. You can still implement the things you learned in another location. :)

tcdev
01-04-2010, 4:08pm
Thanks for you opinions guys! I think I've decided to go with the majority here and give it a miss for now. I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as going somewhere different, I must admit. However, I feel it would probably be a useful exercise to return once I felt that I have made some notable progress.

And Kiwi - absolutely love your sig! :th3:

old dog
01-04-2010, 4:54pm
Hi Tia....all I can say is the world is such a big place. Go back later on, have a look elsewhere for the moment. My .02`s worth.

gcflora
01-04-2010, 6:21pm
Thanks for you opinions guys! I think I've decided to go with the majority here and give it a miss for now. I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as going somewhere different, I must admit. However, I feel it would probably be a useful exercise to return once I felt that I have made some notable progress.

And Kiwi - absolutely love your sig! :th3:

But... the majority said go back! LOL. Only one person voted not to. I am confused now

tcdev
01-04-2010, 11:38pm
But... the majority said go back! LOL. Only one person voted not to. I am confused now
Yes, but not straight away! Hence the reason I said I'd return later!

bigbikes
02-04-2010, 12:03am
If it was me and I wasn't happy with the first lot of shots, I would return and try again.
If you have an idea on how you did your last shoot, return and reshoot it differently.
The only other thing I would suggest is make sure you take a tripod with you as well.
Good Luck.
:th3::th3:

ricktas
02-04-2010, 7:52am
I think the phrase 'with similar weather conditions' is the wrong one. Go again, under entirely different conditions. Photography is about capturing light, and only taking photos under similar weather conditions is restricting you. Push yourself and go when the weather is completely different, you might just learn about how the ambient light affects the results.

Big Pix
02-04-2010, 8:00am
many a time I have looked at my shots and decided that they were rubbish...... went and shot something else and a week or two later went back for a re shoot of the first with a total different out look of what I was shooting and a total different approach....... the images were a lot better.

....... sometimes you need a break from a bad shoot day and return with a fresh approach

Steve Axford
02-04-2010, 8:11am
If you don't know where you went wrong, then don't go back. If you have an idea of how to make it better, then go back. Otherwise try something else.

tcdev
04-04-2010, 11:22am
I think the phrase 'with similar weather conditions' is the wrong one. Go again, under entirely different conditions. Photography is about capturing light, and only taking photos under similar weather conditions is restricting you. Push yourself and go when the weather is completely different, you might just learn about how the ambient light affects the results.
The only reason I specified "similar weather conditions" was to see if I could manage better photos with the same light. My reasoning being that better light might produce better pictures without me necessarily doing anything "better".

I see your point, but I guess my angle was learning how to use the light you've got. Your suggestion is of course equally as valid, though I think it's a different lesson altogether?!?