PDA

View Full Version : Camera clean

dieselpower
31-03-2010, 11:04pm
I had a lot of dirt and dust, and maybe even hair(!!) on the filter of my D50. I took it in to a local shop today to get it cleaned (wanted it cleaned before Easter and a cleaning kit wouldn't get here in time).

Before:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/thomasando/DSC_0243.jpg

Picked it up, did a test shot and it's cleaner but now there's spots in places there wasn't before, and what looks to be a streak.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/thomasando/7a8e1094.jpg

I'm going to take it back in the morning but cant really afford to pay for it again so hopefully when I show them the before and after images, they'll clean it up properly. Has anyone ever had to request re-cleaning after a first non satisfactory clean, and do you think I should be able to get it redone without it costing more?

Speedway
01-04-2010, 12:51am
The first time I cleaned my sensor I had to go back and do it a second time, but you got it done professionally and it should have been checked. Did you clean your lenses before refitting as there may be dust there depositing it back on your sensor.

dieselpower
01-04-2010, 7:21am
The lens was refitted at the service centre. I left the entire kit with them so would assume they would have checked that it was clean. I even switched the lenses and repeated the test to make sure that it wasn't just dirt on the lens. Same spots were there on both lenses.

dieselpower
01-04-2010, 8:22pm
Took it back in today. No charge and they cleaned it again. The guy asked how I was testing it so told him - he said he tested and couldn't see anything. His test shot is still on the memory card, was taken on full auto with f/9 - no wonder he couldn't see anything! It's better than it was but still dirt on it. I think I might be pushing my luck to go back again. I can put up with it now I think, but will order myself a Copperhill kit ASAP so that I can repeat as much as I need without having to go down to the service place.

Latest test shot:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/thomasando/428f6719.jpg

wideangle
01-04-2010, 9:14pm
I think you are going to have to try and do it yourself, as there is always probably going to be the chance that dust will get back in when it's done. Even doing it yourself, after you change lenses a few times dust is going to get back in again.

dieselpower
01-04-2010, 9:28pm
Yeah prepared to do it myself. Just wanted to get a clean done before Easter as I'm planning to take quite a few pics. It's ok for now so it'll get me by.

wideangle
01-04-2010, 9:38pm
Yeah, I reckon it looks a lot better than it originally did.

Speedway
01-04-2010, 10:06pm
Sounds like the pro was more an amateur. You're a lot more tolerant with them than I would have been.
Keith.

dieselpower
01-04-2010, 11:25pm
I'm a very tolerant person, but if I'm dissatisfied I'll just let my money do the talking and go elsewhere. Unfortunately here there's nowhere else to go, and I don't want to spend my life chasing around after a job that I'm not happy with for needless ends as I wouldn't be back anyway. I'd rather enjoy taking photos and will put up with having to potentially clone out some spots until I get my own cleaning kit.

arthurking83
03-04-2010, 3:57pm

Picked it up, did a test shot and it's cleaner but now there's spots in places there wasn't before, and what looks to be a streak.

This is not an uncommon thing to happen, if you haven't cleaned the sensor for a while.

the dust particles can become (almost fused) to the filter and you may need multiple swipes(always from new swabs) to get it 100% clean.

I just posted a sensor cleaning thread... HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=53283)

note; the streaking I saw after my first pass with the swab was excessive(ie. not dried) Eclipse fluid.. not dust particles being dragged along the sensor filter! :confused:

from memory, the hardest sensor clean I remember was having to clean my old D70s about 5 or 6 times, in one session, but that may have been after a long stint without cleaning it.
And don't be overly eager to clean it too regularly either. Only really clean dust spots that you can see(at the smallest aperture value that you're likely to shoot at, or after.. say.. 1K shutter actuations or so. There's no point in wasting it.