PDA

View Full Version : Time to pick a Pentaxians brain ---

I @ M
30-03-2010, 2:54pm
Has anyone got any recommendations for a particular brand or style of M42 adapter or even a particular seller of them so that I can have a play with an as new condition super takumar 55mm F/1.8 and very good condition Schneider 135mm F/3.5 on a Nikon body?

MarkChap
30-03-2010, 3:03pm
Yeah get the one from CR Kennedy,
My old man got a cheap one and it was rather thick tended to act a like a close up tube, lost infinity,
He then got the dearer one, $45.00 from memory, from Kennedy's and all was perfect. It is a lot thinner and didn't affect the focus

EDIT;- Whoops didn't see the Nikon body bit derrrr, give them a try any way, you never know

arthurking83
30-03-2010, 3:05pm
The only problems you'll have with M42-F adapter is that apparently they need a glass element to maintain infinity focus.
If infinity focus is not an issue.... ie. you want to use the lenses for portraits or closer upperer images, then any adapter is good if it doesn't have glass elements in the construction. Cheapie ebay versions apparently work well.

M42-K adapters don't require glass for infinity focus.. different backfocus distances compared to F's.

would be nice to see images from these lenses too on the new body :th3:

.. can't wait to have a play with one day soon! :p

I @ M
30-03-2010, 3:23pm
Thanks Mark, no worries on not seeing the Nikon bit, I will give CRK a ring and see if they stock anything suitable.

I had a look at the numerous ones on e$ay Arthur and similar looking bits of alloy seem to range from five or six dollars delivered through to "optically corekted with real glass element" at forty bucks.
I won't need infinity focus so I think I will just look at the plain jane versions and was wondering if any one brand or seller was better than the rest ----- :D

Kym
30-03-2010, 3:26pm
http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/adapters.htm
Has some good info re: Nikon.

In the Pentax world there are two types - those that work (i.e. focus @ infinity) and those that don't (cheap eBay ones).

Google 'nikon M42 adapter' ;)

I @ M
30-03-2010, 3:54pm
Thanks Kym, the register distance info was worth the trip to that link.

Kym
30-03-2010, 4:07pm
Thanks Kym, the register distance info was worth the trip to that link.

I read that about 2 years ago and vaguely remembered something, so I googled.
There is another blurb somewhere about why the cheap adapters don't work; related to that link; but I can't find that one.

jibbonpoint
31-03-2010, 6:15am
Cheap adaptors can work, I'm sure, but they themselves (sometimes) need modification. I reduced the thickness of one unit the use of an oilstone but overdid it a bit. However, I get great shots from my Supertak 50mm f1.4.

I tried to buy a genuine adaptor from CRK & got no reply.

I'll try again.

A couple of Camera Shops I've asked had no stock & seemed disinterested in getting any in.

CRK can be incredibly helpful or simply not helpful at all. I think it depends on the person you get.

Regarding the Supertaks, though; they are getting ridiculously expensive. The above lens went on e-bay for about 130 euro the other day & it had fungus.

I @ M
31-03-2010, 7:32am
Thanks jibbon, I might just go with a 'cheapy' and see what comes of it. If it looks promising I might work on beter types and if it doesn't look good I might just sell all the old gear. :D

Kym
31-03-2010, 8:19am
Camera Store in the Markets here in SA have a genuine K-mount/M42 adapter

I @ M
31-03-2010, 8:34am
Thanks Kym, wrong letter of the alphabet on the front of that one though. :D

mongo
31-03-2010, 9:12am
any M42 will do.

Mongo has an old Schneider 150mm (f4.5 ?) on a 'T' mount which he has used on his Nikon bodies for years with great results. So, when you find an M42 for the 135mm Schneider, you should find it very pleasing but do not expect it to be amazing.

forgot to mention that if you can get the Takumar 55 f1.8 it is quite renowned

Kym
31-03-2010, 10:13am
Thanks Kym, wrong letter of the alphabet on the front of that one though. :D

Yeah, but any Pentaxians reading this thread may want to know that :p

jibbonpoint
02-04-2010, 12:05am
Thanks Kym, I've sent an enquiry to Camerastore in Adelaide. Also sent another message via 'phone to CRK. See what transpires.

What I can do is take a measurement from with a Micrometer & ascertain thickness so that I can check or adapt the cheapies. On the other hand it would be easier to buy the three I need which is what I'll do, but if I can't get them...then??

I @ M
02-04-2010, 4:14pm
any M42 will do.

Mongo has an old Schneider 150mm (f4.5 ?) on a 'T' mount which he has used on his Nikon bodies for years with great results. So, when you find an M42 for the 135mm Schneider, you should find it very pleasing but do not expect it to be amazing.

forgot to mention that if you can get the Takumar 55 f1.8 it is quite renowned

I have both lenses mongo, the 135mm used to take pretty good pictures on the the old spotmatic ( I still have it ) and the 55mm -- errr-- I don't think I have ever used it and it still looks and feels brand new. I just wanted to have a play with both of them on a current day camera to see how they went. If they don't perform --- they will be up for sale as we are running out of storage room here. :D

Big Red
02-04-2010, 5:08pm
a genuine Pentax one is the best as they are the easiest to get out... no tools needed.

the same style generic ones that finish flush with the lens mount can sometimes be problematic to get out even with the supplied tool.

the style that fit proud of the mount can affect the infinity focus.

jibbonpoint
03-04-2010, 12:06pm
a genuine Pentax one is the best as they are the easiest to get out... no tools needed.

the same style generic ones that finish flush with the lens mount can sometimes be problematic to get out even with the supplied tool.

the style that fit proud of the mount can affect the infinity focus.

That's why I'd like to get hold of a genuine Asahi-Pentax one; to check the dimensions & adapt the cheaper adaptors to suit, thereby allowing each lens it's own adapter & removal requiring one action, not two.

I do use my Super Tak 50mm f1.4 & 135mm f3.5 a lot. (My most used would be the Pentax M 28mm f2.8). The prices, though, on the Super Taks are going through the roof probably caused by Canon users snapping them up because there's just so many of them (Canon user's, that is) :D

When I become Dictator you Canoners will have to give them back.;)

(I might add that Pentaxians will not have to do the same with any Leica glass that they may have. :D )