PDA

View Full Version : Ray Flash Ring

Romus
30-03-2010, 11:42am
Hi

Has anyone used the Ray flash ring and how do you find it? I'm looking to get one but no local place has one so far, and don't want to order from overseas and wait :).

Just thought I'd ask what the ones who have it think of it :)

Thanks

Speedway
30-03-2010, 12:28pm
Try here
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/rayflash.htm
Don't know anything about them though, had been looking at ring flashes the other night and remembered this.

Romus
30-03-2010, 12:40pm
Thanks man, they were my first go-to-guys but they don't have 'em in stock and don't know when the next shipment will be...

Tricky
30-03-2010, 1:03pm
Hi Romus, try the link below, which contains discussion of ring flash attachments and pictures of the O-flash version that I own (a low cost eBay version of the Rayflash).

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47776

Romus
30-03-2010, 2:13pm
Hey Tricky, thanks for that. Unfortunatelly I think that unit is pretty much restricted to macro, whereas I'm looking to improve my portrait shots (sorry, probably should have included that in the OP :P).

There's a unit that looks just like ray flash, called Coco or something, sold by the Digi Cam warehouse but that too is unavailable. The only one around is the orbis, but it costs more and is hand-held, unless I buy the bracket and also gotta pay for the cable connection.

Speedway
30-03-2010, 2:24pm
Here's another alternative I'm thinking of trying.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/LinkDelight-Photography-Aus-Shop_Others_W0QQ_fsubZ7870252QQ_sidZ348023981QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
Keith.

Romus
30-03-2010, 3:09pm
Hmm looks good, better than the Ray flash ring. This bit "This LED Macro Ring Light, a well-designed device for close shots" worries me as I'm mainly using a 135mm for my portraits.

Darchangel
30-03-2010, 6:13pm
Whatever you end up with, please post a review. I'm considering this in the long-term future, but the sample images I've seen for the RayMan on the DD site linked in this thread, quite frankly, look crap. There's some exceptions, but a number look like the flash was too small across the model, leading to shadows starting at the cheeks and chin, rather than the side of the face for a nice soft fall off I'd be looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romus
31-03-2010, 4:49pm
Will do mate but doesn't look like it will be any time soon, seeing that I can't find it anywhere :P

StanW
01-04-2010, 8:40am
The Sunpak 622 has a ringflash attachment with ample power, but the trigger voltage might be a problem. I use mine with a slave - a bit bulky, but it works.

whatsthatbeeping
02-04-2010, 11:17am
Hi Romus,
I have the ray flash, if you are in Brissie your welcom to borrow it for a test. (PM me)
I've used it at a couple of weddings but thats about it.
It does everything it says does to a point.
I didn't notice too much of a drop in flash output (like it quotes)

oldfart
02-04-2010, 3:26pm
When used with a Canon 580exII the external metering sensor and the AF-assist beam emitter of the flash unit pointing straight into the black plastic rear face of the Rayflash unit.

In a word the most useless piece of rubbish I've bought yet for a camera.