PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for my first canon macro lens

7D user
27-03-2010, 8:33pm
Hi Folks,
Firstly appologies if this has been asked before. I am getting keen on adding a macro lens to my kit. I am thinking of the 100mm 2.8 L as I assume I could shoot from some distance without intimidating / frightening an unsuspecting bug.
Am I on the right track with the 100mm? any suggestions appreciated.

Pine
28-03-2010, 7:04am
If the 100mm makro lens is used on a cropped camera then the boosted focal lenght from 100mm to 160 mm should be sufficient.:)

I have just ordered the older Canon 100 mm F2.8 USM lens as its half the price of the new IS and I suspect that the new lens will not give a better picture than the older lens.

I doubt if one really needs all the other bits like IS, weather proofing L standard etc. if the optict performance of the two lenses are virtually the same:rolleyes:
Regards

Riverlander
28-03-2010, 8:53am
A general rule is that the longer the focal length the more "working distance" you get. That was part of the reason I bought the Sigma 150 f/2.8 - the other part of the reason was that it is an extremely good lens, that I also use for portraits etc.

Old Skool
28-03-2010, 9:38am
I've read good reviews on the Canon 100mm 2.8, but also on the Tamron 90mm so look at that as well. May be better value.

myeewyee
28-03-2010, 9:50am
If value is what you are after you can't go past the Tamron 90mm. I used to own both it and the Canon 100mm non-IS, now just own the Tamron. Then again if you have the money for the L, maybe you should just go for the very best?

I also used to own the Sigma 180mm macro, the extra reach was good but it was quite a heavy lens. Not a problem in most situations but sometimes, holding it in awkward positions trying to get bugs did get tiring. I prefer the lighter weight of the Tamron to the greater working distance of the Sigma 180.

Pine
28-03-2010, 1:34pm
If value is what you are after you can't go past the Tamron 90mm. I used to own both it and the Canon 100mm non-IS, now just own the Tamron. Then again if you have the money for the L, maybe you should just go for the very best?

I also used to own the Sigma 180mm macro, the extra reach was good but it was quite a heavy lens. Not a problem in most situations but sometimes, holding it in awkward positions trying to get bugs did get tiring. I prefer the lighter weight of the Tamron to the greater working distance of the Sigma 180.

Its always nice when someone has had both lenses and can give an objective opinion. You are not the first one that recommends the Tamron 90mm :p
Regards

Speedway
28-03-2010, 4:16pm
I have the Tamron 90 and 7D although I have not done much with the combination it worked very well on my 400D. here is one of the first with the 90 & 7D. With the money saved on the Tamron I also got a set of auto-focus extension tubes to get in even closer.

B D H
28-03-2010, 5:40pm
I've just parted company with my Tammy 90mm macro which was an excellent lens
this made way for a new canon 100mm 2.8L IS, this one is just the best

it has internal focus, the IS feature works well if you are shooting handheld, auto focus is extremely quiet compared to the tammy, (as it would be on the non IS)
the non IS version differs to the IS model as in less elements & aperture blades although I'm not sure if this is good or bad

Good reviews for all 3 here: http://www.photozone.de/

thelastname
28-03-2010, 5:52pm
The Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro is also an excellent lens, but you do have to get in very close and risk losing your subject.

Here are some shots from last week with the Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro lens.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=53300

Xenedis
28-03-2010, 6:00pm
I have the 180/3.5L Macro.

It's a fine lens that has advantages over the shorter offerings, but I'm not much of a macro photographer.

Longer focal lengths give you greater working distances, which means you can theoretically photograph jittery critters without needing to be as close; but the trade-off is even less depth of field.

I find this lens very hard to use, but I'm more inclined to lay the blame on myself and not the lens.

The 100/2.8 Macro (the non-IS, non-L version) would be a good choice, as it is very sharp, well-regarded, relatively inexpensive and not too difficult to use. The L version with IS sure looks appealing, but you'll be up for a lot more money for that.

lacad01
31-03-2010, 11:51am
Recently acquired the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro and bang for buck this is a fantastic lens. Great results, not too heavy, really enjoy using it.

arnie
01-04-2010, 8:35am
I've got the Canon 100 mm F2.8, love it. Getting Macro shots of bees and butterflys sitting on flowers on the balcony. Good fun.

Mr Scrofulous
01-04-2010, 11:12pm
Hi, I recently acquired the 100 f2.8L IS, to document stuff at work, but am also using it for a bit of fun at home.
Today I was shooting hand-held at 1/8 sec and getting good usable images, which impressed me.
I am very pleased with the lens, but cannot compare it to anything else, as it's the only macro I have used.
I makes a fine portrait lens as well.

ecliptic
02-04-2010, 9:04am
I brought my first Macro yesterday the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro USM. Not had
a great personal experience. But I am impressed with the images thus far, and I'm
sure it's is going to get a heap of use.

Cheers,CS

ecliptic

whatsthatbeeping
02-04-2010, 10:59am
We (my wife and I) Have the 100mm f/2.8 usm macro and a old second hand 50mm f/2.5 compact Macro.

The 100mm is the fav for my wife and produces excelent images, the 50mm images arn't quite as good and the lens is slow to focus and noisy but does the trick well enough for the money (new or 2nd hand)

I've had feed back on the new 100 L and hear that it is still an improvement on the standard 100mm, but for the money I wont be upgrading soon. ($500 more)

The standard 100mm is great for portraits as well.

milspec
02-04-2010, 11:32am
I have the Sigma 105mm. It's a great lens but if I had the chance I would prefer the Canon 105 or better yet the 180 L Macro.

Darvidanoar
03-04-2010, 1:05pm
Don't forget that the 7D goes into a special tracking mode when use use AI Servo mode with a Canon Macro USM lens. I'm not sure if this is true for non-Canon macro lenses, perhaps one of the Tamron/Sigma 7D users can confirm?

This may not be a show stopper for you, but I thought it worth mentioning as a quick read through the responses so far don't mention this.