PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7D Poor IQ - Banding

wideangle
27-03-2010, 4:17pm
Is anyone experiencing any banding/lines when post processing their images from the Canon 7D? I have been seeing lines/banding shooting at ISO100 and this are very apparent in many images in the sky/cloud areas. I never had this issue with a cheaper entry level camera. Is it normal, or a fault?

Here are some examples, all shot at 100ISO RAW, processed in Canon DPP. They were shot to expose to the right, and then underexposed and contrasted added to bring out the texture of the cloud detail.

http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/820404906_uHdvQ-O.jpg
Mod note: Image over sized now URL

http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/820406471_hZGfR-O.jpg

http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/820413018_eHvNP-O.jpg

soulman
27-03-2010, 5:18pm
I think it is called pattern noise rather than banding. I get it sometimes on my 5D2 when I have pushed an underexposed area hard to get some life out of it and this issue is widely discussed in regard to that model. If your images are not underexposed, which you say they aren't, and not heavily processed, then I would suggest that your camera may not be working correctly - perhaps a faulty sensor.

wideangle
27-03-2010, 5:53pm
I think it is called pattern noise rather than banding. I get it sometimes on my 5D2 when I have pushed an underexposed area hard to get some life out of it and this issue is widely discussed in regard to that model. If your images are not underexposed, which you say they aren't, and not heavily processed, then I would suggest that your camera may not be working correctly - perhaps a faulty sensor.

These photographs have not been underexposed to begin with. As I have said they have either been 'exposed to the right' or have been underexposed to darken them.

soulman
27-03-2010, 6:37pm
Yeah, that's why I think your camera probably has a fault. :)

gcflora
27-03-2010, 6:52pm
If these are ETTR then something is wrong. I know the 7D does exhibit this pattern noise worse than the 5d2, but only for poorly exposed shots which doesn't seem to be the case here. A guy on POTN called Panopeeper will probably take a look at your RAW files for you and give a recommendation on what to say to Canon. Are you sure these were not underexposed?

wideangle
27-03-2010, 7:46pm
If these are ETTR then something is wrong. I know the 7D does exhibit this pattern noise worse than the 5d2, but only for poorly exposed shots which doesn't seem to be the case here. A guy on POTN called Panopeeper will probably take a look at your RAW files for you and give a recommendation on what to say to Canon. Are you sure these were not underexposed?

Thanks for your reply. No, these are definently not underexposed at all, if anything they have been reduced by -1 t0 -2 stops to gain mood in the clouds. What is POTN and Panopeeper?

bricat
08-04-2010, 8:26am
google potn and the other is user

Bear Dale
08-04-2010, 8:54am
I can definately see those lines. How'd you get on?

FallingHorse
27-04-2010, 11:27pm
Wow - I can see them too ... and I'm blind Freddy!! How did you get on with the 7D? Would be interested to know what the problem is - I am thinking of upgrading to the 7D in the future.

wideangle
17-05-2010, 1:48pm
After contacting the service center and sending the camera in they have installed a firmware update that was needed as the camera wasn't updated to the most up to date release they said, so this has been done now:)