PDA

View Full Version : On camera flash diffusers

ClaireN
23-03-2010, 11:36pm
has anyone used these before? They look kinda interesting

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-color-Canon-Nikon-Pop-Up-Flash-Diffuser-Cover_W0QQitemZ270541109614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item3efd81b96e

I @ M
24-03-2010, 1:30am
I haven't used the but they do look "interesting".

For under $6.00 I reckon you could write a review for all of us here on AP as to how they perform. :D

maccaroneski
24-03-2010, 7:19pm
Darey (member on this site) has a cheaper solution still - he gets one of those little translucent film canisters, and has cut a hole to fit the pop up flash. I can't imagine anything else working any better.

ameerat42
24-03-2010, 10:16pm
So, what do expect the flash diffuser to do? I suspect that "soften" or "diffuse" the light from the the flash, and so reduce its "harshness", are what come to mind. But the only effective way to do this is to extend the area of the light source, ie. make it appear larger than it is, like with a flash umbrella (but not only).

The device you mention looks as if it barely fits over the pop-up flash of many cameras. It may well scatter some of the light from the flash, and reduce its intensity (power), but that won't extend the light source. All you'll end up with just a weaker "harsh" source of light. (OK, so it comes in other colours.)

IMHO (maybe not so H) you should be looking at some reflective device, and there are plenty around, that effectively makes the light appear as if it comes from a larger source than the on-camera (or similarly small) flash.
Am...

arthurking83
24-03-2010, 10:40pm
At least two of the things that I've tried before with on board flash are:
table tennis ball(pingpong ball) if you have one lying about or can get one from somewhere cut a smallish hole in it just enough to make it sit over the flash entirely. Worked surprisingly well considering what it is!.
I also tried a piece of aluminimum foil placed just under the flash and bent so that it directed most of the light upwards as a psuedo bounce card. Tedious to get it right as you have to allow a certain amount of light to light the subject directly AND get enough to light up the ceiling to brighten up the ambient lighting conditions.
These cost nothing but a lil bit of time.

I personally wouldn't purchase any product, as it'll probably do the same thing as the experimental home made stuff.. and also not look as weird and quaint, in a home brewed fashion :p