PDA

View Full Version : AF Malfunction EFS 17-85 IS

rwg717
23-03-2010, 9:24pm
Before I commit $$$$ to professional advice, perhaps someone might have a quick answer to this problem. Have an EFS 17-85mm IS lens which has a malfunctioning AF system, the symptoms are identical to using the AF on a lens which is in perfect order when trying to focus on a plain white wall or when it is too dark in a room for the lens to get a correct read on the focus point.
I bought the lens at a decent discount knowing that the problem existed, thought a change of camera body might fix it but no dice there. Tried cleaning the contacts and same result, no joy. Then tried another 17-85 on the same camera body and perfect focus!
The focus system continually works its but off trying to get a correct read until you zoom right out and then "half-press" the shutter button, AF then works fine for a couple of shots and then reverts itself to focus in and out, in out.
Probably a busted chip in the lens, me thinks.:(
Richard

mrsgrumblebum
23-03-2010, 10:20pm
Sorry can't help you with your lens as I am having similar problems with my 17-85mm wondering myself weather to get mine fixed. Good luck with it

rwg717
24-03-2010, 9:49pm
Sorry can't help you with your lens as I am having similar problems with my 17-85mm wondering myself weather to get mine fixed. Good luck with it

Thanks for the reply, I have heard of another instance of this problem with the EFS 17-85, perhaps a manufacturing fault with some of them????
Richard

arubaato
29-04-2010, 6:12pm
sounds like the same problem I had with the 50 1.4

I read on another forum that it was a broken USM, so I didn't bother getting it fixed.

beckett5361
29-04-2010, 7:19pm
Hi I had the same thing in my 17 85mm canon lens they assured me it was not common but I suspect it may be more common than they let on. I sent it to Canon and they replaced the Diaphram and it cost $180.00 including return postage. So the lens was fixed recalibrated, serviced and posted back for $180 no too bad. It functions perfectly again. Error 99 vvvverrrr....

schc
02-05-2010, 10:11pm
It is a common problem, A search of ebay for the lens will confirm that. I too have the same issue.

I'm forking out for some L glass instead :D

Mary Anne
02-05-2010, 11:24pm
Had the same problem also got it fixed when it was 15mts old and within a year the same thing happened.
I did not get it fixed the second time I bought better glass instead.

rwg717
03-05-2010, 9:16pm
Had the same problem also got it fixed when it was 15mts old and within a year the same thing happened.
I did not get it fixed the second time I bought better glass instead.

Thanks for that, sounds like it might be a "tip job"....better look around for something better myself:o
Richard