PDA

View Full Version : Camera Case Hinge

Whisky_Mac
22-03-2010, 4:20pm
I have a FOCAL brand camera case which has a broken hinge. As you can see from the photo, the hinge is quite specific. They one on the left is broken, should look like the one on the right. I have been unable to find the brand on the web. The case is at least thirty years old so they may be no longer in business. Be a shame to junk it so if anyone can help me source a new hinge I would be gratefull.

Adrian Fischer
22-03-2010, 6:55pm
I take it the top bit is supposed to be attached the bottom bit? Could you not pull the pin out of the hinged part and take it to a tradie who could braze it back on? Then reinsert the hinge and hey presto..

MarkW
22-03-2010, 7:29pm
There are places here in Sydney that do that sort of hinging, usually for truck and car fit out with on board boxes and compartments. I cant for life of me remember what company was the one our fleet people at work use. If its any use to you I get the company name tomorrow and maybe you can get one or two by phone.

peterking
22-03-2010, 10:58pm
Check out your local hardware store. They have access to several hundred types of hinges. The ones shown are common on watercraft as well so you might try a boat shop.

If you don't have any luck send me the dimensions and I'll try some of our suppliers.

MarkW
23-03-2010, 3:55pm
The company name is Universal Engineering Supplies

Here http://www.uesint.com/index.php

They might have it, or something which could take its place

Whisky_Mac
27-03-2010, 11:15am
Thanks fella's, I dropped it in to an engineering shop before I went up country to three mile dam near Kiandra, Called in yesterday, they had not done it but did it straight away while I waited.

For those in a similar position, the hinge was light stainless steel, they did not even pull the pin out, just welded it in situ and it is now back on the case.

Once again, thanks, the forum is a great resource and lets you come at things from a different angle.