PDA

View Full Version : Next portrait/group lens

mcmahong
20-03-2010, 10:24am
This topic has been posted a bit already, but I want to tailor a more specific question to my needs.

I've got a nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8 cheapie) on my 50D crop body that I use for amateur portrait shoots, mainly children but sometimes families. However I've been doing a lot of mobile studio shoots lately in friends' homes but often there is not enough space in the house and I find myself backing up against the far wall just to fit a few heads into the frame. I do have a 18-200 EF-S but I'm reluctant to use this for shots where I want full clarity and ability to shoot wide open.

So I'm looking to widen my frame and am thinking about the next lens (full frame body is out of the budget for now and would prefer to spend on quality glass).

Should I go for a 35mm or a limited range zoom like a 24-70mm? Would the 24-70 be just as sharp (at the same focal length) as the 35mm prime? I'm really keen on the best clarity possible, given that I'm trying to capture children's faces and especially their eyes.

Obviously the 24-70 gives me some flexibility, so that's good, but if someone tells me that the 35mm is sharper, I might lean towards that. It's purely for portrait shots so will be a dedicated lens.

Wobbles
20-03-2010, 11:38am
Have you considered the ES-S 17-55 f2.8 IS? I use this for a lot of close portrait and larger group shots. The optical quality is excellent (as good as most L's) and the f2.8 & IS is great for indoor work.

Cheers
John

Fabz
20-03-2010, 11:48am
Have you considered the ES-S 17-55 f2.8 IS? I use this for a lot of close portrait and larger group shots. The optical quality is excellent (as good as most L's) and the f2.8 & IS is great for indoor work.

Cheers
John

I agree and would add that if money is an issue, a good alternative is the much cheaper tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Awesome value for money lens.

gje38752
20-03-2010, 9:51pm
Hi
I am fairly new to this game, but looking at your question ir 24/70 or 35mm I think you might find the 24/70 on a crop camera would end up about 36 would that be wide enough for your requirements. I ended up with a 15/85 and find it excellent, even in quite low light.
Gazza

ausguitarman
20-03-2010, 11:55pm
Have you thought about the 28mm 1.8.

I used this on the 50D before I got the 5DMKII. Took all of my indoor Christmas snaps with it. It still may not be wide enough for you but it's a great lens overall.

arthurking83
21-03-2010, 12:13am
Just to put the idea out there, and only because an alternative answer usually exists, but is seldom seen!.. is the purchase of a secondhand full frame body, such as a 5D out of the question?

I think(and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) they sell for approx the $1K mark?

This will give you an equivalent 35mm focal length FOV relative to what you have now with the crop body.. but as it's 50mm will give less wideangle distortion, especially as a portrait lens.

ie. if an option is to purchase a 35mm fast lens, then the purchase of a 5D body or similar, would be technically an equivalent proposition in that you get the wider field of view. Keep the 50mm and make it work as originally intended!

Pine
21-03-2010, 6:38am
Hi
I am fairly new to this game, but looking at your question ir 24/70 or 35mm I think you might find the 24/70 on a crop camera would end up about 36 would that be wide enough for your requirements. I ended up with a 15/85 and find it excellent, even in quite low light.
Gazza

At last someone that agrees with me that the 15-85 is a great lens. I also have the 24-70 and they compare very well.
Mcmahong in my opinion they are both great for portraits it all depends on your budget. :rolleyes:
Regards

mcmahong
21-03-2010, 11:16pm
Thanks everyone for your input. Lots to consider and I'll now and go and price all of those options and see what might work out best. Arthur if I can find a 5D for around $1000 I could be VERY tempted.

Thanks again
Ged

dsaini
22-03-2010, 12:08am
Just to put the idea out there, and only because an alternative answer usually exists, but is seldom seen!.. is the purchase of a secondhand full frame body, such as a 5D out of the question?

I think(and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) they sell for approx the $1K mark?

This will give you an equivalent 35mm focal length FOV relative to what you have now with the crop body.. but as it's 50mm will give less wideangle distortion, especially as a portrait lens.

ie. if an option is to purchase a 35mm fast lens, then the purchase of a 5D body or similar, would be technically an equivalent proposition in that you get the wider field of view. Keep the 50mm and make it work as originally intended!

+1

Why not upgrade body to utilize your lenses better, specially considering you already have the required lenses.

Cheers

Gremlin
22-03-2010, 9:17am
last night there was two 5d's on fleabay for 1000 click for used thou and as always buyer beware

mcmahong
23-03-2010, 1:34pm
Thanks again everyone. I guess part of the issue for me with the 5D upgrade is that I currently use an EF-S 18-200mm lens for general use, so the cost would be the body plus whatever lenses to replace the spectrum of focal lengths I need. Budget is a bit tight unfortunately.

grnis200
04-04-2010, 10:24pm
Just add a body and swap cameras, not lenses whn your needs change.

(I think I'm trying to convince myself more than you :-) )