PDA

View Full Version : Remote power for Batteries

Whisky_Mac
17-03-2010, 4:23pm
Hi all, have not been on as much as late as the job died and unlikely to get another so have been gathering gear for a trip around half the block. Up the centre and around the Kimberleys and back across the Nullabour. I have had an extra cigarette light put in the back for the fridge and am searching for the right camper trailer.

My question is what do you do for extended stays in the bush. I need to power the laptop and three batteries for two canons as well as the fridge. Do not have the room under the bonnet for an extra battery.

I could run a puresine wave inverter but I don't see the sense in converting 12v to 240v only to have it reduced back to 19v for the laptop and I am not sure what the camera batteries charge at. I think I would be putting the car battery under undue stress.

Jaycar suggest the inverter. Dick Smith have a unit that would handle the laptop at 19v but want to suggest a modified sine wave invert for the camera batteries. Camera House have several 12v battery chargers that they use on their Canons and Nikons.

By the time I spend good money on each of these I probably won't be able to afford the trip.

What are other guys doing with regards to remote power.

I @ M
17-03-2010, 6:51pm
Jim, that question heads towards someone that is much more clued in than me about electronics but I did read somewhere about collapsible solar panels that seemed to do a pretty decent job of charging smallish ( camera - laptop ) batteries and combined with an inverter for the more heavy duty requirements it seemed to provide a cost effective solution.

MarkW
17-03-2010, 8:16pm
For Nikon Discount Digital have a battery charger which can be plugged directly into a cig lighter socket or use the accompanying plug pack. I dont know what cam battery you use so it may pay you to look at the website.

See here http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/canonbatteries.htm

Just a suggestion - I would really think about hooking up an extra battery to be conitually charged from the engine charging circuit if you intend to go bush. 3 way fridges only have to be left on for a few hours to flatten a battery enough to make starting difficult the next morning. Have it proffessionally installed somewhere where it wont short out - best bet the engine compartment.

Whisky_Mac
18-03-2010, 1:54pm
Thanks for that Mark, the LP E6 is a better price than the $85.00 Camerahouse wanted althought theirs could handle D & C batteries by moving the contacts.

There will be a AGM glass mat battery (probably 100+ amphours) in the camper supplied by an anderson plug from the alternator of the tow 4WD.

I want to stay away from the inverters as I think the drain on bumping 12v to 240v would be sever when you only use 19v for a laptop and 7.4v for camera batteries.

I also have to source a satellite phone and it's $30.00 month for a plan without contract. I have a lot to work through so it's a good job that it will be July or august next year. A lot to research and acquire. Also need a 90mm or so Macro for the Canons.

Thanks Mark

JM Tran
18-03-2010, 2:08pm
Bunnings sell a portable power generator rated at 720WS max, I have used it for powering my studio strobe lights, charging batts etc in the outdoors. Four litres of unleaded mixed with super oil will last nearly 10 hours.

The solar chargers are much more compact, but very expensive and takes longer to recharge.

MarkW
18-03-2010, 4:49pm
I want to stay away from the inverters as I think the drain on bumping 12v to 240v would be sever when you only use 19v for a laptop and 7.4v for camera batteries.

Good thinking - inverters are dangerous and have no earth. They have caused numerous vehicle fires and a number of electrocutions, not all resulting in death. You cant install a safety switch on them either. In my organisation and right across the electricity distribution industry they are banned.