PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 NO Windows Mail

rwg717
16-03-2010, 11:06pm
How many members have moved to Windows 7 or bought a new machine in the past year only to find that the OS does NOT ship with an email client?:angry0:
I must say that I consider Hotmail and Windows Live Mail to be totally repulsive as email clients, what happens when you log on???? You get a face full of rubbish before you can check your messages. Damn, Damn, Damn:action:
Pretty sure I have a copy of Windows Mail somewhere from 2006/2007 on a disc, might spend this week-end looking for it:action:
Richard

ricktas
17-03-2010, 7:35am
I found it a trial. There is no easy conversion from/to thunderbird from the two free options from Microsoft for Windows 7 (Hotmail/Windows Live Mail). I then discovered that it was also really difficult to get from Outlook 2003 to thunderbird, as any conversion of the email client files lost some data.

I ended up giving up and getting Office 2007 with Outlook. Another way for Microsoft to make more money. However I wonder if the lack of inclusion in Windows 7 was to appease the legislature that have been hounding Microsoft for years about what it bundles with its OS releases. You can buy Outlook 2007 by itself for under $100.00.

jjphoto
17-03-2010, 7:57am
I found it a trial. There is no easy conversion from/to thunderbird from the two free options from Microsoft for Windows 7 (Hotmail/Windows Live Mail). I then discovered that it was also really difficult to get from Outlook 2003 to thunderbird, as any conversion of the email client files lost some data.

I ended up giving up and getting Office 2007 with Outlook. Another way for Microsoft to make more money. However I wonder if the lack of inclusion in Windows 7 was to appease the legislature that have been hounding Microsoft for years about what it bundles with its OS releases. You can buy Outlook 2007 by itself for under $100.00.

Rick, do you know if the data base from Outlook EXPRESS can be imported into Outlook?

I've got about 5 years worth of emails on my current XP box, been using Outlook Express from the get go, and I know wonder if I will be able to keep them when I go to Win 7. DOH!

JJ

ricktas
17-03-2010, 8:03am
John. I recall spending about 2 days on this, searching google to try and find conversion software that would work, and not lose some data. I gave up and went and got outlook 2007, and moved upwards from outlook 2003. All I can suggest John, is do what I did, and use google.

Certainly there doesn't appear to be a way to effectively move Outlook DB to Thunderbird, everyone I tried lost some data, so I gave that up.

Kym
17-03-2010, 8:05am
Even the full version of Outlook does NOT come with most office bundles.
M$ are pushing people to online 'live' services; where THEY control YOUR information.
Its crook.
So Thunderbird and a bunch of other free options are out there.

jjphoto
17-03-2010, 8:15am
Thanks Rick but I was only concerned about moving data from Outlook 'Express' (the bundled operating system email) to Outlook 2003 or 2007. I'm not plannig to play with Thunderbird or similar.

JJ

ricktas
17-03-2010, 8:20am
Sure John. I had Outlook 2003 so can't really comment re express, but google did help me, so maybe it can offer advice for your situation too.

OzzieTraveller
17-03-2010, 8:28am
G'day all

Have a look at Eudora - it may answer some or all of your desires

Regards, Phil

MarkW
17-03-2010, 8:03pm
Move to Mac :D email client app, appropriately called "Mail" is included with Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Don't I just luv sayin that when all you PCs start to bitch about M$ and what they don't do :lol:

rwg717
17-03-2010, 8:28pm

Yes Rick, I have a copy of Outlook which came with a HP palm and was on the installation CD, not very happy with that either and to make matters worse I went through an entire collection of program DVD's dating back to 2005....was sure Windows Mail was on one of the 2006/2007 DVD's but can't find it....blast:(
Richard

rwg717
17-03-2010, 9:21pm
Windows Mail won't install/work correctly under Win 7 without a fair bit of mucking around.
Question: how much "rubbish" appears on Thunderbird when you are using it? I had a quick look last night after your suggestion and the screen shots on the website showed what looked like a "very messy" workspace with pop-ups and ads all over the place? How much do users have to put up with in other words?
Richard

MarkW
17-03-2010, 9:43pm
Richard
I used Thunderbird when all I had was a PC (b4 August 2008) and always found that Thunderbird, like Firefox was an excellent programme. Certainly no advertising.

Maybe times have changed but as I'm still using Firefox and see no ads, I can't see why Thunderbird would be any different.

rwg717
17-03-2010, 9:53pm
Richard
I used Thunderbird when all I had was a PC (b4 August 2008) and always found that Thunderbird, like Firefox was an excellent programme. Certainly no advertising.

Maybe times have changed but as I'm still using Firefox and see no ads, I can't see why Thunderbird would be any different.

OK, I'll give it a go!:eek:
Richard

Michael
18-03-2010, 5:10pm
John,

Not sure if you have found the answer to your question or not, but you can import all your emails from Express to Outlook 2003 or 2007.
Click on file in 2003 or 2007 then Import or Export, then select Import Internet Email & Addresses from the drop down list.
Easy.

Hope that helps.

Mick

rwg717
18-03-2010, 7:59pm
You don't have to put up with anything, there's no ads whatsoever. Like all Mozilla apps I use, I find it clean, fast, reliable and easy to backup your settings and emails should you need to reinstall your OS or migrate your data to another PC.

edit:
I also like to add the Lightning Calendar add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313) to Thunderbird. You can use it to create a local calendar on the one PC if that's all you need. Or sync it to something like Google Calendar and then have it all synced across multiple PC's, so they all receive the same calendar data. Quite versatile really. If that's your thing, then the Google Calendar Provider add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631) is what you'd need and a gmail account for your online calendar.

Also maybe add and Australian/English Dictionary (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3099) to the spell checker.

Thanks for that advice, downloaded T'bird last night, extracted "almost" everything from Outlook and all seems OK....seems a fine program:D
Richard