PDA

View Full Version : K-x for sure but which lens?

xatnep
16-03-2010, 6:09pm
G’day,
I’ve pretty much made up my mind on purchasing a new Pentax K-x DSLR. This will be my first DSLR after many years of point and shoot cameras. I’m doing a trip to Canada in July and will buy the camera in June and get the GST back on the Travellers Refund Scheme so I’ve got a few months to consider which lens to get. For my first lens I need a good walk-around lens and I’m considering the Pentax DA 17-70 f4 above the 18-55 kit lens, a mate of mine reckons I should go for an 18-200 for ease of use (for overseas travel) and of course the extra reach. But this trip will be my last overseas trip for some time as I want to travel in Australia by car and carrying extra lenses is less of a hassle. I would probably consider a something along the lines of FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 or a earlier second hand version off eBay at that time. I’ve got some old M42 Pentax prime lenses that my Dad used to use on a 35mm SLR years ago that I believe will work on a K-x with an adapter, another reason to buy the Pentax above the Canon 500D or Nikon D5000 along with the K-x being more compact and seemingly better value for money.
I want a bit of a Jack of all trades eventually, but for the Canada trip just landscape and a bit of portrait type work (holiday snaps) and if I can get close enough to some bears I’d give them a go as well! Although I know the 17-70mm is not what you’d call a wildlife lens, but that’s not so important on this trip.
So now that you know a bit about my situation I’d like to know what you think would be the best value for me.
Would the Kit 18-55 do my needs or the 17-70 do a better job in Canada and the long term. Is it worth spending the extra money? An online retailer offers the 17-70 with the body at a slight discount, but it’s still $600 more than with the kit lens! I know you get what you pay for with lenses but that is quite a bit more! What about an 18-200? From the reviews I’ve read they are a bit of a compromise? And I won’t mind carrying and changing lenses back in Aus. I’m very much a beginner but I get annoyed when I skimp on equipment and quickly out grow it. I feel the K-x is more than adequate I just don’t want to make the wrong choice with the first lens for the trip.
The old primes I have are f3.5/28 and f2/55, is one of these worth taking to Canada? I like the idea of doing some low light stuff with the 55.
Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading this far.
One last question, do I multiply the focal length by 1.6 for K, M, AF, A and F series lenses and any D series are made for DSLR so I do not, the focal length quoted is right for the K-x? So many questions I know, but it’s a bit confusing for the newbie!
I know the 55 is more like 85 but what about other, newer lenses? How do you tell?
Sorry for the long post and dragging up the same old questions, but newbies are newbies :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Pete.

grw46
16-03-2010, 6:39pm
I bought my K-x from B&H (I see they're avail on E/bay too) in the US with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm. These lens are pretty da*n good and will give you coverage for most situations exp the 300mm for those bears :eek: and for quite a bit less money. .
As a rule of thumb multiply all lens by 1.5 on your camera.
The old m42 lens work really well on the K-x but make sure you get the adapter that allows focus to infinity, the cheap ones with the flange on E/bay don't. The 55mm f2 is a nice lens,great for portrait and low light work. Cheers.

xatnep
16-03-2010, 8:20pm
Thanks Garry,
So you were quite happy with the possible warranty issue with buying grey import? I see the K-x with the 18-55 & 55-300 kit is only available this way. Delivered for less than $1100 (+ import duty) looks enticing.
Pete.

Kym
16-03-2010, 9:09pm
As Garry said... The Pentax crop multiplier is 1.5 for all lenses. (because of the sensor size, same as nikon)

M42 adapters - get a 'good' one.

A 50mm f/1.7 can be had cheap off eBay etc.

Don't forget Sigma and Tamron lenses as options. The Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75 (both f/2.8) are really good walk around options.
They also have 18-200ish options

Sigma (CR Kennedy) will price match grey imports.

JM Tran
16-03-2010, 9:33pm
As Garry said... The Pentax crop multiplier is 1.5 for all lenses. (because of the sensor size, same as nikon)

M42 adapters - get a 'good' one.

A 50mm f/1.7 can be had cheap off eBay etc.

Don't forget Sigma and Tamron lenses as options. The Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75 (both f/2.8) are really good walk around options.
They also have 18-200ish options

Sigma (CR Kennedy) will price match grey imports.

both quite long lenses on an APSC sensor camera Kym, those lenses u mentioned. A cheaper alternative is the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 - excellent sharpness and fast aperture for a consumer zoom, plus its wider than the aforementioned lenses by Kym, and cheaper than the Pentax 17-70 F4.

grw46
17-03-2010, 8:05am
Yes Pete but I did apply for and get a 1 yr international warranty thru Pentax.
The current price for the 55-300 kit appears to be about au$850 landed and at that price there will be no other import fees.
This is a good starting point and you can then expand your lens collection as you progress with your photography . Cheers Garry

xatnep
17-03-2010, 2:54pm
Thanks to all with the advice.
Garry the bonus there is I don't have to wait until June to buy as there is no GST to claim on the travellers rebate scheme!
Wow Kym, that's quite a lens collection you got there. Obviously you rate the Sigma and Tamron lenses highly?

JM Tran, the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 sounds like a nice lens, Unfortunately B&H have nil stock at the moment.

KevPride
17-03-2010, 8:02pm
I'll second with the Sigma 17-70 this is possibly my most used lens, very sharp and quite a good landscape lens.

I have read good things about the Sigma APO Macro 70-300 which is quite a cheap longer lens - it is also quite light to carry (but be careful there are 2@ 70-300 lenses still sold by Sigma the non APO is junk).

regards

JM Tran
17-03-2010, 8:11pm
Thanks to all with the advice.
Garry the bonus there is I don't have to wait until June to buy as there is no GST to claim on the travellers rebate scheme!
Wow Kym, that's quite a lens collection you got there. Obviously you rate the Sigma and Tamron lenses highly?

JM Tran, the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 sounds like a nice lens, Unfortunately B&H have nil stock at the moment.

why would u need to buy at B&H for anyway? Local retailers have it in droves, if you want to price match, call up CR Kennedy and tell them to price match the Sigma 17-70 to B&H pricing, and they will match it as per their policy. CR Kennedy is the official distributor of Sigma in Australia.

xatnep
18-03-2010, 11:19am
why would u need to buy at B&H for anyway? Local retailers have it in droves, if you want to price match, call up CR Kennedy and tell them to price match the Sigma 17-70 to B&H pricing, and they will match it as per their policy. CR Kennedy is the official distributor of Sigma in Australia.

For sure JM, it was only that the K-x,18-55, 55-300 kit is not available here. I don't think that kit would best suit me. I have found a Melbourne retailer that will do a K-x + sigma 17-70 for $899 or a K-x + Sigma 18-200 for $959.
So far the 17-70 gets the thumbs up, anyone travelled with a sigma 18-200 on a K-x?

xatnep
30-04-2010, 1:07pm
Thanks to you all for your help. I've bought the Kx with the 18-55 and the 55-300 Kit. All I gotta do now is learn how to use it!