PDA

View Full Version : Raw to jpg - dpi

bellamae
16-03-2010, 5:20pm
I have just started shooting in RAW + Jpg and I am new to raw processing. I noticed that when I convert my raw files to jpg that the picture size is smaller when compared to the original jpg file in Photoshop. The orignial jpg files are around 121 x 180 cms long (72dpi) compared to the same image that is the converted raw to jpg file which are about 32 x 44cms (350 dpi). When I tried to order a canvas print from the jpg (raw converted) file, the files where not high enough resolution for a 12x18" canvas even though I have the image quality set at the highest setting. I read somewhere that when you increase the dpi that the image gets smaller. What dpi should I have my conversion program set to?

I am using Canon Digital Photo Professional to convert my raw files to jpg and Photoshop Elements for touch ups etc. The default dpi on the Canon program is set at 350 dpi.

Any other raw processing tips would also be appreciated, thank you. :)

soulman
16-03-2010, 5:57pm
The only thing that counts is image size - so many pixels high by so many pixels wide - not JPEG quality, or DPI. The DPI figure shown by various image editing apps is only saying "If you want to print at xxDPI, the image will be xxCM X xxCM, or vice versa. The same image could be printed at a different DPI or size without any changes being made to the image itself. The DPI is a guide rather than an actual image setting.

If your RAW files exported to JPEG are smaller than the JPEG you shot, then your RAW processor is exporting its JPEGs at a smaller size and you will need to change its settings. Remember that the pixel dimensions are the only thing you need to be aware of here.