PDA

View Full Version : Help please

weaver2j
15-03-2010, 10:27pm
Hi all, I would like some help.
I am trying to photograph the inside of a house, mainly bedrooms and kitchen. When taking the photos I would also like to capture what is outside the window you look through. Usually the photo comes out with the window being overexposed or just plain white. The equipment I am using is a cannon 40 D, ##### is 19 to 35 and a cannon 580 EX speedlight flash.
Cheers
Wayne
PS Hope I've put this in the right spot.:confused013:)

Psneddon
15-03-2010, 10:44pm
Wayne,

There are two ways to go, (that i can think of)
Change the exposure to match the outside conditions and use the flash to fill the light in the room. (easiest way is change spot metering and have the window in the center of the frame when metering)
or
Look into HDR, which is the combination of two photos with different exposures to make one. I haven't succesed with it yet but have a look in the Photo Manipulation (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76) section.

Peter

weaver2j
17-03-2010, 1:03am
Hi Peter Thanks for the help,have had a go and they look a lot better .I am going to look into HDR. many thanks Wayne

OzzieTraveller
17-03-2010, 8:44am
G'day Wayne

Try shooting before breakfast when the light is there but very soft (compared with mid-day) light
I find that 5-6am light requires a tripod exposure to fully register, and as such the flash will balance brightness levels quite nicely. WB is another matter, tho in northern NSW & Qld, light at that time seems to have a better WB match for the flash

Even if the WB is not 100% I would suggest "not to worry" - many of the $1000 real estate sales packages deliberately mix daylight & tungsten WB to emphasise the house's lighting features

Hope this helps, Phil