PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb decide!

thommo09
15-03-2010, 12:05pm
Hi all,

now I'm sorry if this is a pretty common sort of thread, but currently I'm rather confused about which camera is going to be best for me.

A few key points:
1) My budget is flexible upto around about $1000, however I'd like to try to keep to $600 - $700 if possible. Ideally I'd like to keep my initial outlay as low as possible as I've just started a new job and I'm not even sure if I'll have enough time to justify a big splurge.
2) In the past I've used my old point and shoot to photograph landscapes (I particularly like night shots), portraits (usually at events like birthday parties and the like) and amateur sport. These are probably the areas I'd use a new camera for the most and I guess I'm really just looking for better quality pics than the old Casio could produce, although I would also like a little scope for some more creativity.
3) I'm happy to look at second hand, although being a newb I'm not really sure if this is a wise move
4) I have a copy of CS3 that I was lucky enough to score with a mac I bought a while back and have some experience with photoshop (not heaps recently though )

So thats the background info. I've looked at stuff like the Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS1000D but I'm keen to avoid the complete bottom end of whats available. I'm interested in the Olympus E620 and Sony A380, which seem to have good reviews but am a bit put off by the thought of expensive lenses and availability should I wish to get into it more in the future. Is there any real benefit to the Micro 4/3 format?

I've also looked into secondhand stuff and have found that maybe the EOS450 might be worth a look, but still seem to be commading pretty high prices (especially compared to new!) which has raised the issue of possibly buying a really old EOS300 or 350 for comparatively little as a toe in the water sort of step.

Or, would I just be better off going for one of the higher end compacts? Like maybe a superzoom or IXUS200?

Urgh so many choices, so confused!

Sorry for the essay, any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers
Jimmy

I @ M
15-03-2010, 5:43pm
Firstly,

Don't do anything in a huge rush, read plenty on this site, analyse the results of suggestions and advice carefully.

The cost will always be there and only get worse as the obsession with a new lens / tripod / camera bag / camera body gets a grip on you.

Go to many photo stores and see which brand / model feels good in you hand, then check the price of "speciality" lenses for that brand.

Buying secondhand is not a silly idea with camera bodies especially if they are from reputable stores or from "known" members of forums like this, the body will be outdated in 5 or so years and the lenses you have that are good will still be working well on the newest body.

inmotion
15-03-2010, 6:31pm
HI Thommo it all about $$$ with a budget of $1000 its pretty tight.cheers Jim

Mr Lensbaby
15-03-2010, 9:33pm
Keep your eye open for a Nikon D70 with 18-70 kit lens should pick one up for $500 great camera and lens

pgbphotographytas
06-04-2010, 9:51pm
Did you end up buying / deciding on anything? I have owned and used quite a few of the low - middle end cameras so sing out if you need some help :)

swifty
07-04-2010, 1:56pm
Might be a bit late with this advice but my gut feeling is if u want DSLR, go second hand. Many good but older generation DSLRs have all but bottomed out in price so on-selling if it's not for u won't cost u much, if any, just ur time. Don't forget that lens is what u need to cover the wide range of intests u have photography genre wise so don't go all out on the body.
Alternatively have a look at a superzoom like the fuji hs10. Heck I'm even tempted to get one at around $500 brand new even tho I own a DSLR setup already.