PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a good Monitor?

wideangle
14-03-2010, 8:49pm
Where does one start with getting a good quality monitor? I have been told that screens by NEC and Eizo are at the cutting edge of good screens for photo editing. Anyone out there own a good quality editing screen and give me some advice on where to look and what to look out for?

MarkW
14-03-2010, 9:00pm
If your running a Mac then use a Mac - too many stories off people trying to use fancy screens with Mac only to find that cards dont show colours or brightness like they should.

ricktas
14-03-2010, 9:04pm
If you are seeking a screen at the pinnacle of photo editing then the Eizo monitors for sure, but be prepared to decrease your bank account balance.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/categories/Eizo-Monitors/

arthurking83
14-03-2010, 10:14pm
From my recent reading of good screens vs bad screens(for photo editing this is) you want a model that is made from the S-IPS type of LCD, not the MVA or TN screen type.

Easy way to know if it;s most likely made from this S-IPS screen type is price! Higher is more likely to be an S-IPS type.

I've been looking at Dell's screen page and on some models they list the panel type. The cheapest S-IPS panel type is a 24" screen that cost approx $799. The cheaper 24" screens made from the TN panel type cost approx $300 or so!

(just went to Dell's site and found it again: It's the U2410 screen. it's twice the price of the cheaper 24" models.. but for a good reason! Read the Tech specs.

S-IPS has the wide gamut ability you're looking for, will come precalibrated by Dell(at least), and calibrates a lot better than the TN and MVA panel types.

Great info to know before you purchase a screen, but obviously not after.
I recently received a hand-me-down HP screen(and for that I'm grateful).. but the info I've recently earned in trying to calibrate it is much more valuable. I now know what I want to get ;)

hope this helps.

Oh! and there's a site that list a lot of models of LCD screens and what panel type they're made from. Can't remember it now and found it using Google.
As they reckon the (good)Dell's are pretty good value for money.

I'm now thinking that their 27" Ultrasharp may be an even better value for money prospect(even at $1199!).

As for other screen models/brands I have no idea... information overload has turned me off for now.

clm738
14-03-2010, 10:39pm
Eizo sell reco monitors on their web site. They will e-mail you a list of what they have for sale at discounted prices with warranty.

wideangle
15-03-2010, 9:31am
Thanks for all your help everyone, Eizo seems the standard for screens these days. Some of their monitors seem reasonable in price. What surprises me is that we often spend a lot of time and research into cameras and gear, but when it comes to one of the most important things - a screen for viewing them on - this area is traded off.

kiwi
15-03-2010, 10:24am
Eizo is s standard for screens, in the same way that rolls Royce is a standard for cars I guess, unless you are going to really get the return from using it I'm not sure it's a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Analog6
15-03-2010, 10:40am
Ezio are the standard setters, if you can afford one

Bear Dale
15-03-2010, 10:58am
I reckon the Dell 2209WA 22-inch Flat Panel Monitor is more affordable unless you really need those extra 2".

wideangle
15-03-2010, 11:34am
I reckon the Dell 2209WA 22-inch Flat Panel Monitor is more affordable unless you really need those extra 2".

This sounds good being an IPS panel and decent price. Do you have one yourself?

deasty1
15-03-2010, 4:57pm
I've got an Eizo, had it for about a year, and it would have paid for itself 10 times over in time saved but not having to redo prints.
HOWEVER---- it's still going to be only just another monitor unless you buy yourself a monitor calibrator as well.
I use the i1 display2(pronounced eye-one), it's easy to use and does a good job.
Not sure what your budget is like, but my 19" Eizo cost about $1000 a year ago, and the calibrator costs about $250.00 now.
If your budget is limited, I'd suggest getting the calibration tool first, and then the Eizo when you can afford it, otherwise you really will be wasting your money, 'cause if your screen is off-colour, doesn't matter how good it is, it's still off-colour.

Just did an ebay search, found an i1 here if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/X-Rite-Eye-One-Display-2-Monitor-Calibration-NEW-i1_W0QQitemZ230441124260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Software_Software_SR?hash=item35a75c81a4

phild
15-03-2010, 9:19pm
I've been looking at Dell's screen page and on some models they list the panel type. The cheapest S-IPS panel type is a 24" screen that cost approx $799. Thomas, I have one of these, I can't say until I profile my printer how good it is, the colours don't look as good as my cheapie ASUS but I expect that the ASUS is unnaturally saturated.

wideangle
16-03-2010, 9:42am
Thomas, I have one of these, I can't say until I profile my printer how good it is, the colours don't look as good as my cheapie ASUS but I expect that the ASUS is unnaturally saturated.

If you do some research on IPS panels you will find that they are less saturated than their cheaper cousins.

soulman
17-03-2010, 3:47pm
As I have noted elsewhere here, I have found that even supposedly good monitors like the Dell 2408 to be disappointing. Once calibrated with an EyeOne, my 2408 shows significant banding in the greys and blues and the colours in between. It is also impossible to get it looking natural - the reds are over the top no matter what I do - and it is very slow to warm up. Overall I would rate it as inferior to the older Dells, such as the 2007, which I found reasonably good, though still with some banding issues. I think the main problem is that consumer monitors are not meant to be run as dark as a photographer requires and once they are calibrated to 80 or 90cd/m they just don't run properly. I now have an Eizo CG241W and it is everything a monitor should be. Not cheap though...

Michael
18-03-2010, 5:21pm
Thomas,

I have one of these (Dell 2209WA) and find it to be quite accurate when combined with Monitor & Printer profiling. I run a standard Spyder2 puck along with ColorEyes Display Pro software, it craps all over the standard Spyder software and can be customised to get the best results from your screen. This combined with a good Printer Profile for the paper type you are using give great results. Just remember that no print will look exactly the same as the screen for obvious reasons, but they are damn close.

Mick

my serendipity
03-04-2010, 5:00pm
Mick,
I have just received my 2209wa and am currently trying to comb the forums and web reviews to pick an appropriate calibration tool and software. So far the Spyder 3pro has my interest (partly because it seems easier to source locally). I was just interested in your opinions and experience with your monitor and callibration. Would you prefer a i1 Display2 to the spyder?

Susan Ashworth
05-04-2010, 11:05pm
Sorry if i am hijacking...

I am wondering if it is worth buying a calibrator before buying a better monitor. Currently i am doing mnimal editing on my lap top - TN panel (yes... i did just hear you all groan) and the bulk of my editing on my television (S-IPS) Needless to say it is a PITA.

What do you think? Should i bother buying a calibrator before buying a new monitor. Currently funds to not stretch to a new monitor, but come close to a calibrator....

mercho
06-04-2010, 7:41am
Sorry if i am hijacking...

I am wondering if it is worth buying a calibrator before buying a better monitor. Currently i am doing mnimal editing on my lap top - TN panel (yes... i did just hear you all groan) and the bulk of my editing on my television (S-IPS) Needless to say it is a PITA.

What do you think? Should i bother buying a calibrator before buying a new monitor. Currently funds to not stretch to a new monitor, but come close to a calibrator....

A calibrator will make the world of difference, if you have the funds, get one! They are one of the most handiest tools you can have as a photographer! I have an older spyder 2, and calibrate roughly once a month, and the difference even this slight calibration makes before and after is huge!

mclean8
06-04-2010, 1:54pm
lots of info here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

i ended up with a HP LP2475W and love it. a step down from the eizo stuff, but better than entry level.

MrJorge
06-04-2010, 2:45pm
I've been looking at the Dell U2410. Will be getting a PC too so might get that and a Dell PC. But the HP LP2475W sounds pretty good too.

ving
06-04-2010, 3:54pm
this one isnt bad

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=54193

Michael
07-04-2010, 7:32pm
Can't answer about the calibrator, I use the Syder2 and it seems to be ok and I am getting good numbers using the Color Eyes Display Pro software. If you go to their website I think you will get all the info you could ever want from their forum.