PDA

View Full Version : 50D n00b questions

Craggles
12-03-2010, 12:18am
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can explain.

I've got a 50D and I was wondering if there is some way I can make it take 3 shots at different exposures (for HDR) without having to hit the shutter release each time, I can get it to change exposure each time but was just wondering I can make it take the three shots after each other without me having to tell it to each time.

Wobbles
12-03-2010, 3:11am
Hi Craggles,
have a look here...
http://jefflynchdev.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/canon-50d-auto-exposure-bracketing/
It shows how the 50D can use Auto Exposure Bracketing combined with Exposure Compensation to quickly get multiple exposures. Please note, you must be in Av or Tv mode for this to work.

Cheers
John

hackcessor
12-03-2010, 3:14am
I had the same question a while back, all my info says NO

Sorry about that. Best to read up in the 50D manual on Auto Exposure Bracketing as this is the only way that it can happen.

If anyone is able to correct me and show me the light on this one, I would appreciate it as well.

Cheers
Hack

Old Skool
12-03-2010, 8:58am
I do it with my 30D by setting the shutter to continuous multi shot / burst mode. Just hold the shutter and it fires away. Stop when you have at least 3 shots fired which will be the 3 exposure bracketing shots that you have set in the menu. You can delete any extra shots that are surplus to your needs.

wideangle
12-03-2010, 11:34am
Easy, use a cable release, or if you don't have one, set your camera to multi shot/burst mode, and then set the shutter to go off with timer, that way you don't have to press the shutter at all.

MarkChap
12-03-2010, 12:01pm
If you have sorted out the exposure bracketing, which you say you have then next thing is to set your shooting mode to continuous then just hold the shutter button down for the three shots.

wideangle
12-03-2010, 12:28pm
If you have sorted out the exposure bracketing, which you say you have then next thing is to set your shooting mode to continuous then just hold the shutter button down for the three shots.

yes, but you risk movement holding the shutter down. Just set the timer to go off in 2 seconds and 3 shots will be taken without having to touch a thing.

MarkChap
12-03-2010, 12:57pm
yes, but you risk movement holding the shutter down. Just set the timer to go off in 2 seconds and 3 shots will be taken without having to touch a thing.

Yes but we are all guessing as to whether he is hand holding or on a tripod.
If on a tripod, your idea is best
If not on a tripod it is not practical

wideangle
12-03-2010, 1:44pm
OK, just assumed that the OP was using a tripod to ensure the image was stable and to gain the best IQ.

jprobertson
13-03-2010, 12:07pm
hey, turn your camera timer on. you know the setting where you press the shutter button and after 10 seconds the camera will take the shot....yeah turn that on. if you've set your exposure bracket, the camera will proceed to take all three without you having the press the shutter for each bracket shot.

Craggles
13-03-2010, 1:25pm
ahh ok, ill turn the timer on, thanks alot for the input fella's.

Phil The Burn
16-04-2010, 1:49pm
It's all in the manual.. BTW, you can assign the AEB settings to the func button under the LCD if it's something you want to use on a fairly regular basis.