PDA

View Full Version : Olympus future direction

olympuse620
11-03-2010, 6:02pm
Hi to all I was just wondering if anybody had information about the e series future direction. I have in the last year purchased a 620 and was saving to upgrade (this will take some time) in the future. In the meantime I don't want to waste money on good glass only to find there is not going to be a body to put it on.

Kym
16-03-2010, 10:41pm
The silence is deafening!

Micro 4/3? I've not read much about Olympus at all, I've not seen much on other sites either.

olympuse620
16-03-2010, 11:07pm
Woohoo!!!! A response! thankyou Kym

griffljg
18-03-2010, 8:20pm
I would also like an answer to that question. - I have invested in some fairly decent Zuiko glass and hope that it isn't money wasted.

My E-3 is an excellent camera. - I just wish I had waited a bit until the E-30 was released. The E-3's replacement will hopefully provide us with a better idea of future direction.

ricktas
18-03-2010, 8:50pm
I think the lack of responses reflects the fact that we have no idea about the long term viability of Olympus and/or the 4/3rds system. There have been rumours around for a while now that Panasonic was going to buy out Olympus, so far this hasn't eventuated.

So, to answer your question, I and it would seem, the members of AP, have no idea!

KevPride
18-03-2010, 9:00pm
http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/lunch_with_olympus_manager_of_slr_product_planning.php

This link has some information on another site. Hope they don't disappear as Oly was my 1st camera & what got me interested in photography.

fillum
19-03-2010, 2:48am
You could keep an eye on Photo Rumors (http://photorumors.com/). A recent post here (http://photorumors.com/2010/03/16/olympus-working-on-e-3-replacement-promises-more-43-cameras-mirror-and-mirrorless/).

Cheers.

swifty
19-03-2010, 11:10am
There's been a number of articles published recently of interviews with Olympus executives. It would seem 4/3 is not dead and the E3 successor is definitely coming and likely to appear before photokina in the august window.
But my gut feeling is that m43 has the stronger growth and much of the development is in mirrorless, rather than 4/3.

Wulfys Kingdom
20-03-2010, 11:43am
"http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/lunch_with_olympus_manager_of_slr_product_planning.php"

That's the article I read recently as well. If you want news or rumors I'd have a look around the four thirds forums, they hold discussions regularly.

There is talk of a mythical E5 starting, but i cant comment on how factful it is.

piXelatedEmpire
10-06-2010, 10:42pm
I'm a member on a couple of 4/3rds related forums, and there has been much talk about the future direction of the 4/3rds format. A lot of convo centres around micro 4/3rds, but there is also a fair bit of discussion about Olympus currently working on a replacement for the flagship E3.

I recently purchased an Oly E620 twin lens kit & 70-300mm Zuiko lens. I've been considering the 50-200mm SWD and EC14 teleconverter as well, but was initially a bit nervous about investing in the glass. After spending a fair bit of time researching and speaking with other Oly and 4/3rds users, I'm content to make the investment, as soon as the funds allow ;)

Ross the fiddler
10-06-2010, 11:24pm
I'm a member on a couple of 4/3rds related forums, and there has been much talk about the future direction of the 4/3rds format. A lot of convo centres around micro 4/3rds, but there is also a fair bit of discussion about Olympus currently working on a replacement for the flagship E3.

I recently purchased an Oly E620 twin lens kit & 70-300mm Zuiko lens. I've been considering the 50-200mm SWD and EC14 teleconverter as well, but was initially a bit nervous about investing in the glass. After spending a fair bit of time researching and speaking with other Oly and 4/3rds users, I'm content to make the investment, as soon as the funds allow ;)

I believe we will see at least the flagship model at or by Photokina & while m4/3's is an opportunity not to be lost, you should see 3 levels of DSLR's continuing. There are rumors of a possible modular design, but I wouldn't get too excited about details as it might be just that, a rumor. Olympus doesn't let too much out of the bag until they want to. I think if there is nice glass to be had in 4/3's, then I wouldn't hesitate just because there are some scare mongers out there with doomsday predictions.

Ross

olympuse620
11-06-2010, 3:50pm
I believe we will see at least the flagship model at or by Photokina & while m4/3's is an opportunity not to be lost, you should see 3 levels of DSLR's continuing. There are rumors of a possible modular design, but I wouldn't get too excited about details as it might be just that, a rumor. Olympus doesn't let too much out of the bag until they want to. I think if there is nice glass to be had in 4/3's, then I wouldn't hesitate just because there are some scare mongers out there with doomsday predictions.

Ross
Have been contemplating the 7-14mm so I can fit in the gorges (around my neck of the woods) in frame and do them justice the 14-54 just doesn't do it. It is a substantial outlay even secondhand but you're right why wait around and not just get out there and enjoy.
Unfortunately Olympus has backed them selves into a bit of a predicament, there seems to be a lot of pressure from users to see something at Photokina. I think this means that they need to come out with something new and innovative and not just a fill in to take pressure off for a while. Man I hope they do and we don't end up like the beta video users sitting in the corner sucking our thumb crying trying to decide between the only two movies available lol.

olympuse620
11-06-2010, 3:57pm

Adam do you have any overheating issues when using live view?

Scotty72
11-06-2010, 8:40pm
Judging by the response when last I mentioned 4/3, don't kill me. As someone who has long loved the Olympus cameras, I was disappointed to have to give them the flick last year; I sold up and moved onto Canon.

Olympus just got on the wrong train. What can they do?

-Admit their mistake then, move to APC type sensors and piss off those who have dropped serious money into the system.

-Stick with it and hope they improve. But even so, every day until the come up with a sensor that is less noisy than an AC / DC concert is a day they lose more and more ground to the competion.

Either way, I am glad I am no longer locked into a dead format.

My opinion, I am entitled to it.

Scotty

olympuse620
12-06-2010, 9:41am
Judging by the response when last I mentioned 4/3, don't kill me. As someone who has long loved the Olympus cameras, I was disappointed to have to give them the flick last year; I sold up and moved onto Canon.

Olympus just got on the wrong train. What can they do?

-Admit their mistake then, move to APC type sensors and piss off those who have dropped serious money into the system.

-Stick with it and hope they improve. But even so, every day until the come up with a sensor that is less noisy than an AC / DC concert is a day they lose more and more ground to the competion.

Either way, I am glad I am no longer locked into a dead format.

My opinion, I am entitled to it.

Scotty
Scotty are you still disappointed, that would indicate that you miss your old gear?
What do you miss?

Scotty72
12-06-2010, 10:15am
I just reckon Olympus have always been great cameras.

Even the 4/3 (e520) I had took great pics, vivid colours etc. so long as the light was good.

However, it was its pathetic performance in low light ISO >= 400 or long exposure that made me ditch it.

Scotty

lanegd01
12-06-2010, 8:58pm

I don't do a lot of live view shooting. What is over heating sensor, screen, card?? Seems a bit odd.

Graeme

lanegd01
12-06-2010, 9:01pm

Even the 4/3 (e520) I had took great pics, vivid colours etc. so long as the light was good.

However, it was its pathetic performance in low light ISO >= 400 or long exposure that made me ditch it.

Scotty

This is much less of an issue with the 620. No doubt the upcoming e3 repalcemnet with a new sensor will be even better.

piXelatedEmpire
12-06-2010, 10:36pm
I haven't used Live View yet, hasn't really appealed to me (as I mostly shoot birds, I prefer the viewfinder for stability). However, I did a search (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=e620+live+view+overheating&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and there isn't a lot of talk about such an issue. I think I found a similar post of yours on another forum (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?p=493914) that a few others people have had the issue in question.

This is much less of an issue with the 620. No doubt the upcoming e3 repalcemnet with a new sensor will be even better.
Agreed, however as a rule I set my maximum ISO to 800, and I don't have too many noise related issues.

Ross the fiddler
13-06-2010, 12:16am
It's a shame that there is a persistant critic that seems to love to come in and bag Olympus when he only ever experienced a 10m pixel lower model camera (E520 & not the E3) or earlier & knows nothing about the 12.3m pixel models & the improvements that have been made to each emerging model & the capablilites of them. He comments on all Olympus models as if he knows all, but unfortunely he seems to know little of the capabilities of Olympus cameras. It's obvious there is some bitter resentment of not being satisfied with what he had with Olympus gear & I don't believe he used them with appropriate settings & got poor results because of it. Unless he can offer helpful & knowledgeable comments on Olympus gear, then I suggest he stick to making comments on Canon stuff in the Canon section. He is entitled to his opinion, but when it's just negative ignorance, then I would ask him to keep his opinion to himself.

There is a rumour that is suggesting a possible increase in sensor size will be in the next top model but will still be usable with all the 4/3's lenses & new primes will give a larger image circle to suit the larger sensor & this rumour could fit into the suggestions of modular design (or adapters) as well. These are all wild rumours but what Olympus will probably be bringing out or introducing at Photokina will be improved & with some nice added features. We will just have to wait & see. I would like to buy some more 4/3's lenses except my money won't stretch that far just yet, but I wouldn't hesitate if funds allowed.

Ross

olympuse620
13-06-2010, 1:46am
I don't do a lot of live view shooting. What is over heating sensor, screen, card?? Seems a bit odd.

Graeme
Don't know what is overheating it just comes up with the red warning indicator on the screen, the manual does not say exactly what is hot just that you should turn the camera off for a time before continuing.

Scotty72
13-06-2010, 2:25am
It's a shame that there is a persistant critic that seems to love to come in and bag Olympus when he only ever experienced a 10m pixel lower model camera (E520 & not the E3) or earlier & knows nothing about the 12.3m pixel models & the improvements that have been made to each emerging model & the capablilites of them. He comments on all Olympus models as if he knows all, but unfortunely he seems to know little of the capabilities of Olympus cameras. It's obvious there is some bitter resentment of not being satisfied with what he had with Olympus gear & I don't believe he used them with appropriate settings & got poor results because of it. Unless he can offer helpful & knowledgeable comments on Olympus gear, then I suggest he stick to making comments on Canon stuff in the Canon section. He is entitled to his opinion, but when it's just negative ignorance, then I would ask him to keep his opinion to himself.

Ross

Gee! I wonder who this post is about, it is hard as you have used your powers in order to be as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window.

It is a shame that there is at least one poster on this forum who seems to think no-one is entitled to a conversing opinion. Who could that be? That would be YOU.

Now, should you have been referring to me (of course if you were, you would have been polite - not underhanded), I did state that it was my opinion.

I also stated that I have owned several Olympus cameras in my time and was very happy with them. In fact, the first camera I owned (not just borrowing dad's Olympus) was an Olympus. I took it to my school formal (a million years ago) and took a photo with the girl I loved/lusted after (see attached - yes, high school was an awkward time... but, I have fond memories with that camera) I also mentioned/implied in good light - they are at least as good - if not better than my Canon 40d. (gee, aren't I a terrible hater of Olympus)

Yes, the e-520 was my first DSLR. However, your suggestion that I pay near $1000 (at the time, for the twin lens kit) and put up with rubbish is offensive.

Do you do that? Pay $1000 an electronic good and simply accept rubbish or do you expect a quality product for your hard earned... maybe you are super rich and money means nothing to you. For me, I expect my $1000 to buy me a certain amount of quality.

How much? Well, at a very similar time, a beautiful lady friend of mine bought a Canon 450d. These are about the same level of camera. It's noise at >400 ISO is exponetially better. I think I have every right to be miffed that Olympus sold me a (at that price point / compared to its Canon equiv) dud.

Now, you may say, I should have done my homework before I paid up. You'd be right. Hopefully, my posts (which you would deny me the right to make) will help someone else in their homework - which you would deny them too.

Plain fact is, compared to larger sensors, at high noise - 4/3 is crap - IMO - sorry.

Sure, they are probably getting much better as high ISO stuff- but so too are Can-nikon etc.

I think it will be a cold day in hell when 4/3 will outperform the others - as far as I understand it - it is in the physics of light collection.

Having said that, if you are happy with your 4/3, good for you .. unlike you, I will not label you - accuse you of being an Olympus-a-phile... please shoot and post away with your praise...

Scotty

PS. The fact you stated that they are moving towards larger sensors in their high end cameras is great - however, it seems to me that even Olympus have recognised they have a problem and are now setting out to fix it. I hope they do fix it - the market needs more than the big two (plus others). The more big players, the more competition. I hope Olympus makes a super-dooper model and they become the big third.

Scotty72
13-06-2010, 2:26am
Sorry for possibly burning your retinas :p

ricktas
13-06-2010, 9:37am

There is a rumour that is suggesting a possible increase in sensor size will be in the next top model but will still be usable with all the 4/3's lenses & new primes will give a larger image circle to suit the larger sensor & this rumour could fit into the suggestions of modular design (or adapters) as well. These are all wild rumours but what Olympus will probably be bringing out or introducing at Photokina will be improved & with some nice added features. We will just have to wait & see. I would like to buy some more 4/3's lenses except my money won't stretch that far just yet, but I wouldn't hesitate if funds allowed.

Ross

Ross, this is bordering on being a personal attack, you are getting stuck into a member, rather than discussing his views (which he is entitled to). I suggest you re-asses your approach on this site.

olympuse620
13-06-2010, 11:15am
Scotty you're welcome back from the darkside when Olympus do punch out the world first 1meg ISO. lol:lol:

Ross the fiddler
13-06-2010, 12:56pm
Gee! I wonder who this post is about, it is hard as you have used your powers in order to be as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window.

It is a shame that there is at least one poster on this forum who seems to think no-one is entitled to a conversing opinion. Who could that be? That would be YOU.

Now, should you have been referring to me (of course if you were, you would have been polite - not underhanded), I did state that it was my opinion.

I also stated that I have owned several Olympus cameras in my time and was very happy with them. In fact, the first camera I owned (not just borrowing dad's Olympus) was an Olympus. I took it to my school formal (a million years ago) and took a photo with the girl I loved/lusted after (see attached - yes, high school was an awkward time... but, I have fond memories with that camera) I also mentioned/implied in good light - they are at least as good - if not better than my Canon 40d. (gee, aren't I a terrible hater of Olympus)

Yes, the e-520 was my first DSLR. However, your suggestion that I pay near $1000 (at the time, for the twin lens kit) and put up with rubbish is offensive.

Do you do that? Pay $1000 an electronic good and simply accept rubbish or do you expect a quality product for your hard earned... maybe you are super rich and money means nothing to you. For me, I expect my $1000 to buy me a certain amount of quality.

How much? Well, at a very similar time, a beautiful lady friend of mine bought a Canon 450d. These are about the same level of camera. It's noise at >400 ISO is exponetially better. I think I have every right to be miffed that Olympus sold me a (at that price point / compared to its Canon equiv) dud.

Now, you may say, I should have done my homework before I paid up. You'd be right. Hopefully, my posts (which you would deny me the right to make) will help someone else in their homework - which you would deny them too.

Plain fact is, compared to larger sensors, at high noise - 4/3 is crap - IMO - sorry.

Sure, they are probably getting much better as high ISO stuff- but so too are Can-nikon etc.

I think it will be a cold day in hell when 4/3 will outperform the others - as far as I understand it - it is in the physics of light collection.

Having said that, if you are happy with your 4/3, good for you .. unlike you, I will not label you - accuse you of being an Olympus-a-phile... please shoot and post away with your praise...

Scotty

PS. The fact you stated that they are moving towards larger sensors in their high end cameras is great - however, it seems to me that even Olympus have recognised they have a problem and are now setting out to fix it. I hope they do fix it - the market needs more than the big two (plus others). The more big players, the more competition. I hope Olympus makes a super-dooper model and they become the big third.

I'm sorry Scotty, but I was seeing comments on Olympus cameras that were not considering the improvements of the later models & my feelings got away with me. Sorry.:o

In using the E520 I did have to stick within it's limited ISO good range but still found it to be effective for long exposures as this example shows that was actually taken with ISO 400 as well as Auto Gradation On (shadow adjustment) & the noise in the dark sky is not too bad considering the increase to the shadows is on top of ISO 400.
It is always best to stick to ISO 100 for night/long exposures (IMO if the timing allows) but I was in a class with instruction to use ISO 400.
There is a point for Olympus users to remember when using long exposures & that is to not to only make sure that auto noise control is selected in the menu but to have the shutter drive selected for single shot & not continuous shutter as it cancels the noise control.

I now use the E30 with an increase in ISO range & a lighter AA filter than the E520 & more resolution but is also a higher level model (with all it's added features) & is on a similar level to the Canon D50. The E620 & PEN cameras are all producing better & lower noise images than the previous 10m pixels (the E3 was good though) & Olympus is continually improving.

I've seen advice that it's good to get a nice body, but better to get good lenses as bodies will be updated & can be replaced in the future to go with the lenses.

All in all, it's just my opinion.

Ross

Ross the fiddler
13-06-2010, 3:00pm
A correction to my last post which should read;
There is a point for Olympus users to remember when using long exposures & that is to not to only make sure that auto noise reduction is selected in the menu but to have the shutter drive selected for single frame & not continuous shutter as it cancels the noise reduction.

lanegd01
13-06-2010, 7:56pm
It sounds like sensor over heating. So unless you are doing lots of continuous shooting, I suspect that this is a fault.

swifty
13-06-2010, 11:40pm
Perhaps the contention is that the improvements in newer Olympus sensors have rendered previous user experience less relevant. Of course everone can still have their opinions and it looks to be just a misunderstanding.
But it does appear that the gap between 4/3 and APS-C is narrowing though not on par. FF's still got a significant advantage. IMHO though noise will become less and less relevant as NR techonology improves and the 'look' of larger sensors become more and more important.
But I am very impressed with both Olympus and panasonic. Since I'm not a high ISO shooter I do appreciate their innovations and out of box thinking. I reckon if I'm not invested in Nikon it'd be 4/3. But the lack of larger sensor option atm bothers me which is why the rumours of square sensors and the 1/2X wide converter with a 1 stop exposure advantage are very encouraging and exciting.
Photokina and the possible unveiling of GH2, GF2, E3 modular succesor would be one heck of a show.

dbax
13-06-2010, 11:58pm
mmm well having been a Oly owner I'm inclined to agree with Scotty, but I do miss those superb Zuiko lenses....sigh

Scotty72
14-06-2010, 12:53am
mmm well having been a Oly owner I'm inclined to agree with Scotty, but I do miss those superb Zuiko lenses....sigh

I agree. They are brillant lenses... Sharp as a tack and vivid beyond belief.

Olympus, for me, are a bit like Ansett. Once they gave me a really shoddy experience. I then chose to move away from that carrier.

Of course, my hex on Ansett ultimately led to the demise and financial ruin of the company.

But, unlike Ansett, I wish Olympus well and have not cursed it. :lol2:

Scotty

piXelatedEmpire
18-06-2010, 9:59pm
Of course, my hex on Ansett ultimately led to the demise and financial ruin of the company.

But, unlike Ansett, I wish Olympus well and have not cursed it. :lol2:
Well I'd hope not, I only recently bought into Oly DSLR gear in January! :D

griffljg
19-06-2010, 3:56pm
It was the Olympus lack of direction that caused me, when a colleague asked for advice on a camera for his wife, to point him in the direction of a Nikon D90.

He took my advice, and reports that his wife is very happy with her camera.

lanegd01
20-06-2010, 10:51am
It was the Olympus lack of direction that caused me, when a colleague asked for advice on a camera for his wife, to point him in the direction of a Nikon D90.

He took my advice, and reports that his wife is very happy with her camera.

I don't think Oly has a lack of direction. It is clearly focussed on m4/3 into the near future and most likely modular camers in the longer term. The latest 4/3 ( e620 e30) cameras and lens are more than adequate for their selected market. Will we see an Oly full pro 4/3 camera?:confused013 I don't think so, that ground is too well held by Nikon and Canon and at a price point that Oly will have difficulty matching given the R & D costs. I love my e620 it still does what I purchased it to do - take superb shots with vivid natural colours unsurpassed (IMHO) by any other brand.

peterb666
20-06-2010, 12:51pm
There is talk of a modular camera based around the MFT mount with interchangeable lenses and other bits. Might be a pipe dream.

banj911
21-06-2010, 1:46am
First, the admission, I use Olympus and love it.
I use an E-500 (ancient by current standards) with a variety of lenses (9-18mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm).
I found that I too was becoming worried by the lack of high ISO capabilities and bought an E-30, hoping for an improvement. There was undeniably an improvement in high ISO abilities, but the low ISO performance was lacking, providing substantially more shadow noise and softness at ISO 100-200 which is where I shoot most of my images. So I sold it and bought a 12-60mm instead.
I got to keep a camera I enjoy using more and a stellar lens to use with it.
I guess what I am trying to get at is the lack of high ISO performance compared to other brands may not be that much of an issue, especially if you don't shoot at high ISO much anyway. Also with the advent of new and always improving noise reduction software the odd image with noise problems can be easily dealt with.
I sometimes wonder, what will be the new ISO 400 in 10 years? Will we hear 'Don't buy camera X, there is visible noise at ISO 128000, you can't take clean pictures under moonlight!' Sometimes noise/grain can be good.

On another note, I hope Olympus come up with some innovations with their new cameras. The modular system being touted on rumour forums could be fantastic. They are known for bringing a few new ideas to DSLRs, the anti dust system, live view and Micro4/3s to name a few. Bring it on Olympus!!

Ross the fiddler
22-06-2010, 11:01pm
First, the admission, I use Olympus and love it.
I use an E-500 (ancient by current standards) with a variety of lenses (9-18mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm).
I found that I too was becoming worried by the lack of high ISO capabilities and bought an E-30, hoping for an improvement. There was undeniably an improvement in high ISO abilities, but the low ISO performance was lacking, providing substantially more shadow noise and softness at ISO 100-200 which is where I shoot most of my images. So I sold it and bought a 12-60mm instead.
I got to keep a camera I enjoy using more and a stellar lens to use with it.
I guess what I am trying to get at is the lack of high ISO performance compared to other brands may not be that much of an issue, especially if you don't shoot at high ISO much anyway. Also with the advent of new and always improving noise reduction software the odd image with noise problems can be easily dealt with.
I sometimes wonder, what will be the new ISO 400 in 10 years? Will we hear 'Don't buy camera X, there is visible noise at ISO 128000, you can't take clean pictures under moonlight!' Sometimes noise/grain can be good.

On another note, I hope Olympus come up with some innovations with their new cameras. The modular system being touted on rumour forums could be fantastic. They are known for bringing a few new ideas to DSLRs, the anti dust system, live view and Micro4/3s to name a few. Bring it on Olympus!!

That's interesting what you say that about the 2 cameras. One new thing on the E30 (which is also on the E520) that I've mentioned before, is the Auto gradation. The low ISO photos you took on the E30 with noisy shadow areas might be noticeable if gradation was auto. If you look you up those photos in Olympus Master 2 (or Viewer 2) it will indicate the setting as normal or auto (or hi or lo key etc) & if in RAW, can be changed back to normal in the Oly RAW developer, but I guess you're quite aware of that. I would be interested to know if that was the case. I'm familiar with the image quality & behaviours of the E410, E520 & E30 but not with the E500. The E520 had a stronger AA filter (than E410) & produced slighter softer images than the E410 (but with more dynamaic range), then the E30 has come out with a weaker AA filter (than the E520) & sharper images are obtainable & they need to be with the higher resolution sensor.

The 2 programs that are often recommended for cleaning up the noise (again mentioned before) are Noise Ninja & Neat Image & come as stand alone or plugins. They do an excellent job on fairly noisy looking images.

I am happy with my ZD14-54 II, but would like the 9-18 & 50-200 SWD lenses, the latter being a lovely faster (aperture) lens (& faster focusing plus heavier than my ZD70-300) & the former be great for those wide landscape shots etc. The wish list is longer but will have be a wish list for a longer time.

Ross

lanegd01
24-06-2010, 8:59pm
Here is an independent (as much as the press is independent) review. The E620 comes out of it pretty well

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_E-620/high_ISO_noise.shtml

Pearly
30-06-2010, 1:47pm
I've been an Olympus owner for 2 years now. My first (and still current camera) is the E-500.

I'm still very much a beginner and have a lot to learn, but I have loved the E-500. It was so easy to learn on. I still capture great images on it even though it's so ancient now.

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22727-2/WS274689.jpg

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/12523-2/WS243167.jpg

The only issue I have with it is the noise level as mentioned already numerous times at ISO > 400.

I currently own the kit lenses (14-45, 40-150), a Zuiko 9-18 SWA, and an old OM mount 50mm 1.8. The 9-18mm is the lens I use the most as most of my photography is automotive and I like getting up close. I love the quality of the images the SWA produces and I like the perspective. I've been using the 50mm as well quite a fair bit as I love shooting wide open, and at night. This is the only time I don't really mind the noise, as it gives the images a bit of a film feel (to me anyway as I've never shot film) so I edit my images to reflect this.

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22173-2/WS124248.jpg

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22167-2/WS124235.jpg

Recently I've been considering upgrading to the E30 for the meantime as I want to wait until the E3 replacement is released and there have been enough tests and reviews. If the E3 replacement is not up to standard, I will most probably jump ship and go to Nikon. I will still keep my Oly gear though.

Anyone who owns an E30 have any good / bad things to say about it?

peterb666
30-06-2010, 7:30pm
The E-500 is getting on a bit now and newer models like the E-620 are much better for noise. I will be paying an interest to the E30 and E3 replacements too although I would prefer a semi-pro and weatherproofed Pen camera instead.

Ross the fiddler
30-06-2010, 7:43pm
I've been an Olympus owner for 2 years now. My first (and still current camera) is the E-500.

I'm still very much a beginner and have a lot to learn, but I have loved the E-500. It was so easy to learn on. I still capture great images on it even though it's so ancient now.

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22727-2/WS274689.jpg

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/12523-2/WS243167.jpg

The only issue I have with it is the noise level as mentioned already numerous times at ISO > 400.

I currently own the kit lenses (14-45, 40-150), a Zuiko 9-18 SWA, and an old OM mount 50mm 1.8. The 9-18mm is the lens I use the most as most of my photography is automotive and I like getting up close. I love the quality of the images the SWA produces and I like the perspective. I've been using the 50mm as well quite a fair bit as I love shooting wide open, and at night. This is the only time I don't really mind the noise, as it gives the images a bit of a film feel (to me anyway as I've never shot film) so I edit my images to reflect this.

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22173-2/WS124248.jpg

http://www.photosbypearly.com/photos/d/22167-2/WS124235.jpg

Recently I've been considering upgrading to the E30 for the meantime as I want to wait until the E3 replacement is released and there have been enough tests and reviews. If the E3 replacement is not up to standard, I will most probably jump ship and go to Nikon. I will still keep my Oly gear though.

Anyone who owns an E30 have any good / bad things to say about it?

I love the E30 after starting (with DSLR's) on the E410, then E520 (because my son got the E410) & now the E30. There are a lot of features & improvement in IQ. Where you would take the auto ISO up to 400 in the E410/520, the E30 would be normally set to go up to ISO 800, but ISO 1600 is still quite usable (but not while using auto gradation as well) & ISO 3200 is OK if there isn't too much dark area & can be cleaned up quite well in Noise Ninja or Neat Image. I also like the ZD 14-54 II lens with aperture being f2.8-3.5. It performs really well. BTW, there are some excellent deals going for the E30/ZD14-54 II outfit right now at http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2406.htm for $1399.00, what a bargain!:eek:

A friend of mine bought his last week & they have dropped the price now by $160 down to $1399. He would be peeved if he knew that.

Pros: Stacks of features, including larger viewer, flipout articulating screen, many dedicated buttons, top LCD display, inbuilt level, ISO 100 - 3200, I could keep on going. Check Wrotniaks site too. http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-rev.html

Cons: Heavier than the E500 series, not as clean in high ISO as some other cameras, but still good, a bit slow to focus in live view (but if used for appropriate use, who cares).

Checkout DP Review for an indepth review & many others (but some do have a Canikon bias in their thinking).

Hope that helps,

Ross

Pearly
30-06-2010, 9:00pm
Thanks for that. I've read a few of the reviews online, but I want to hear from real life users like yourself.

I guess the next step is to go in store and have a play with one. Cheers.

Ross the fiddler
30-06-2010, 11:01pm
Thanks for that. I've read a few of the reviews online, but I want to hear from real life users like yourself.

I guess the next step is to go in store and have a play with one. Cheers.

The reviews say it fits like a glove. I find it really nice in the hand with all the buttons easy to hand. The double button at the top left works effectively for getting into bracketing with either of the wheels (front or back) for selection & the double [+/-] & [ISO] (top right) buttons for reset (custom reset is useful when changing things drastically). The preview button down the front is unmarked but is in a very useful position. I like using the articulating screen for macro shots down low when the 5x to 10X display in LV is so great for accurate focusing. The level bar in the view finder is something else I use a lot (when there is time to wait for it to show, such as scenery shots). The viewing of thumbnails are great with the wheel zoom & showing up to 100 thumbnails (would be on E620 too). Of course, the RC flash control on all the later models (since E420/520) is a real useful tool with the controls happening from the camera which saves a lot of running around.

You need to have a go with one for yourself, but the price at DCW is really good now, considering the camera/lens outfit started over $2000 then came back to $1900. The lens (14-54 II) is selling at DCW for $859 & the E30 & ZD14-54 II lens outfit is only $1399, since the lens is as nice as it is (I bought mine last year to go on the E520 & it helped there, but even better on the E30), the above outfit price gives you the body rather cheaply. So if your thoughts are to have this while you wait for a new model, then for that price, with that lens...well:scrtch:

The other thing (also on the PEN models) is the ability to fine tune the AF (for a specific lens or combinations) when there are slight issues with front or back focusing on a lens & save the data for up to 20 lenses. I haven't had to use it it for any lens yet, but there are sometimes issues with E3 users with an occasional lens that can't be adjusted without that feature. The E30 has a good shutter speed range too, from 60 secs to 1/8000 sec & up to 5 frames a sec. I have to wonder why other brands will only go up to 30 secs for theirs.

You can see I appreciate what the E30 has for me as I keep rabbiting on about it.:action25:

Ross

Pearly
30-06-2010, 11:20pm
Thats great, thanks a lot for your input. You're right at that price it's very attractive.

I'll have to go and get my hands on one now to see how it test drives.

Cheers

Dave Fulton
14-07-2010, 9:35pm
Here goes the first post:
The first DSLR for me was a used E1 & then some weather sealed lenses & has been out in all weathers with no concerns.Recently bought a new E3 cheaply.
One day I will get hold of my D700 & E3 try some side by side tests at various ISO settings & long exposures but suspect it would be a pointless exercise trying to compare as focal lengths & glass quality need to be matched.Leave it to the labs.
Have done long exposures with the E1 at ISO 100 exposure was six seconds with noise reduction.
Beyond 400 ISO the E1 gets ugly.Have yet to try the E3.
As far as the future is concerned a lot of uninformed comment has been made all over the net,will they ditch the mount & render some expensive glass to obsolete?
Minolta did it in the move from manual to auto focus.Where are they now?

Pearly
14-07-2010, 10:05pm
Well, I did go out and try the E30. I really liked it, it's a huge step up from my current camera.

I will be placing an order for one hopefully this next week.

Dave Fulton
14-07-2010, 10:15pm
The first DSLR for me was a used E1 & then some weather sealed lenses & has been out in all weathers with no concerns.Recently bought a new E3 cheaply.
One day I will get hold of my D700 & E3 try some side by side tests at various ISO settings & long exposures but suspect it would be a pointless exercise trying to compare as focal lengths & glass quality need to be matched.Leave it to the labs.
Have done long exposures with the E1 at ISO 100 exposure was six seconds with noise reduction.
Beyond 400 ISO the E1 gets ugly.Have yet to try the E3.
As far as the future is concerned a lot of uninformed comment has been made all over the net,will they ditch the mount & render some expensive glass to obsolete?
Minolta did it in the move from manual to auto focus.Where are they now?

swifty
15-07-2010, 5:44pm
Did canon not also do it from FD to EF?? I won't pretend to know what Olympus will do but if a significant advantage exists then they should probably take it. But I do agree that maintaining backward compatibility is very important and the technology probably exists now to make that a viable option. Every rumour says that modular is coming (not necessary the e3 replacement) and how they implement the modularity will be very interesting so even with a significant change, I doubt the nice existing 4/3 lens will become obsolete.

hoffy
15-07-2010, 5:49pm
Its sad to see that Olympus has less direction then even the Sony range (but Sony at least are concentrating on their NEX range at the moment, which has the makings of something big).

I picked up a whole bunch of photo magazines from the late 70's and early 80's just recently. Its suprising to read how many of the professional photographers were using Olympus gear.....it nearly seemed that they were the default camera of choice by anyone who knew anything about cameras.

I hope that they can re-light the flame (so to speak). Olympus have made some really magnificent glass over the years. It would be nice to see the legacy continue.

jaqson
25-09-2010, 3:23pm

Scotty

Yes I agree with you in regards to low light level performance. I have an e410 and love it. Again like some it was the DSLR which got me into photography, however I notice it's limitations in low light levels. I don't particularly like processing RAW either. Probably because of the substandard software I have.

I have been thinking of moving onto a Canon too, but am reluctant due to a sentimental connection with the Olympus "girls camera" as a work colleague one put it.

JM Tran
25-09-2010, 3:43pm
I personally would crusade against Olympus to hurry up and ditch the 4/3 sensor and embrace APSC and beyond for much better noise control at mid to high ISO. I see no benefits in a 4/3 sensor for amateurs and pros.

Some on here might try and argue that 4/3 is acceptable or fine by their standards. By trying to justify their purchases and ownership. Oh well, hate to be in their position and pick up a Canon/Nikon/Pentax etc and see ISO at 1000, or 2000, or 12800 on some full frames:)

peterb666
25-09-2010, 7:25pm
I see no benefits in a 4/3 sensor for amateurs and pros.

Smaller lenses, smaller bodies, lighter weight?

These features also enable reasonable cost f/2 zooms like the 14-35 amd 35-100. No one else has anything like that and equivalent lenses, say a f/2 28-70 or 70-200 would require a small truck to transport around.

TOM
25-09-2010, 7:59pm
from what i can gather, the 4/3rds system is almost defunct in favour of the micro 4/3rds system. there certainly are advantages to the m4/3rds over the larger sensors, like peterb666 says, smaller lenses (and normal lenses too, not those retrofocus contraptions that dslr's use), faster lenses (see the new 0.95/25mm Voigtlander), smaller cameras, more dof at a given fov (can also be a disadvantage also), plus the versatility to use almost any lens one can find.

peterb666
25-09-2010, 8:19pm
from what i can gather, the 4/3rds system is almost defunct in favour of the micro 4/3rds system.

Current rumour is that there will be no more entry level 4/3rd cameras (i.e. E-620 and under), with this market turned over to MFT. That would tend to indicate that there may be a E-30 replacement or that the other rumour, a modular 4/3 camera that will take both MFT and 4/3 lenses may be in the works (which I would expect would become the eventual replacement for the E-30/E-5 line-up).

The E-5 is a real disappointment and indicates a relatively low development cost output to provide a very modest stay of execution of less than 2 years.

JM Tran
25-09-2010, 10:18pm
Smaller lenses, smaller bodies, lighter weight?

These features also enable reasonable cost f/2 zooms like the 14-35 amd 35-100. No one else has anything like that and equivalent lenses, say a f/2 28-70 or 70-200 would require a small truck to transport around.

moot point, DSLRs from other makers are not any bigger or heavier, nor are its lenses.

sorry but the 4/3 sensor sucks at mid to high ISO range, no ifs or buts about it, and for Olympus to vehemently stick with it, will only push users onto Canon or Nikon like some members on AP have been doing.

I would rather carry a few hundred more grams, or a kilo and have vastly superior photos with clean high ISOs - I think most ppl would agree too.

A Pentax KM/KX with a DA40 pancake lens is as small as an equivalent Oly 4/3 camera with a pancake lens, yet deliver much superior high ISO.

Like I said, only an Oly user would try to defend the limitations of the 4/3 sensor. Those that have used all types of sensors extensively would beg to differ.

TOM
26-09-2010, 9:27am
moot point, DSLRs from other makers are not any bigger or heavier, nor are its lenses.

so are you referring to the 4/3rds, or the m4/3rds here JM?

JM Tran
26-09-2010, 9:46pm
so are you referring to the 4/3rds, or the m4/3rds here JM?

both Tom, I currently own a micro 4/3 EP1, and used to own an old E1 I bought for bush bashing due to its rugged build.

TOM
26-09-2010, 10:03pm
i knew you had the ep1, but surely you can see advantages with it over your dslr gear?

peterb666
26-09-2010, 10:15pm
I have the E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 9-18mm M.Zuiko lenses amongst others. I reguarly go shooting with others with their Nikons and Canons and have yet to see a dSLR kit with lenses of a similar scope that are anwhere near as small or light.

While the E-P1 does have some limitations, neither size, weight or obtrusiveness are amongst those.

JM Tran
26-09-2010, 10:20pm
i knew you had the ep1, but surely you can see advantages with it over your dslr gear?

How I see it Tom, its all about the image or photo - that is the end product and result of being a photographer, right?

If I use an Oly body with brilliant glass, yet it fails or disappoints me or a client when it is needed most, all that weight saving, brilliant engineering, ergonomics and blah blah is not gonna bring that photo back:) Yeah it has its advantages, but not where its required the most - in the final product.

I relate an Oly to the M4 carbine rifle, lovely piece of kit, can mount about anything on top of under it, light and easy to carry for all front line and support personnel even in vehicles etc. BUT, it lacks what is the most important - killing power - from a lower muzzle velocity, shorter range due to shorter barrel and design, and even suffers from a much louder noise signature - NOISE, lol :lol:

Kym
26-09-2010, 10:28pm
This is not a bad summary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_4/3#Advantages.2C_disadvantages_and_other_factors

TOM
27-09-2010, 9:07am
JM, i see where you're coming from, but if we are going to look at it from that perspective, then why use a small format camera like a Canon or a Nikon, why not use medium format? Cost aside, there are advantages of the Oly (and similar) that bring it up to, and surpass the SFDSLR's in image quality, one being the ability to mount better lenses than you can on the Canon/Nikon. Stepehn Huff has posted some fairly good examples of his D3 vs his EP1, with some suprising results.

But it comes back to how we judge image quality, and rarely does sharpness, resolution, or colour rendition have a lot to do with a great image, so it often comes down to catching that fleeting moment, or capturing the mood or creating a mood. There is a lot to be said by being inconspicuous, unintimidating, getting your clients to relax, to be able to capture those moments in their most natural state. This is what has made Leica cameras so popular over the years, and I think the Leica M9 is probably the best all round digital camera one can buy, that aims to shoot in this way. Pity it's out of my price range, but the EP1 is a pretty good compromise. It certainly has it's limitations, but those limitations don't bother me, for shooting what I generally like to shoot. I will not stop using the D3, for certain jobs, but after much consideration, I will bring along my EP1 to a wedding next weekend and sneak a few shots in the church with the B&W art filter!

JM Tran
27-09-2010, 12:25pm
JM, i see where you're coming from, but if we are going to look at it from that perspective, then why use a small format camera like a Canon or a Nikon, why not use medium format? Cost aside, there are advantages of the Oly (and similar) that bring it up to, and surpass the SFDSLR's in image quality, one being the ability to mount better lenses than you can on the Canon/Nikon. Stepehn Huff has posted some fairly good examples of his D3 vs his EP1, with some suprising results.

But it comes back to how we judge image quality, and rarely does sharpness, resolution, or colour rendition have a lot to do with a great image, so it often comes down to catching that fleeting moment, or capturing the mood or creating a mood. There is a lot to be said by being inconspicuous, unintimidating, getting your clients to relax, to be able to capture those moments in their most natural state. This is what has made Leica cameras so popular over the years, and I think the Leica M9 is probably the best all round digital camera one can buy, that aims to shoot in this way. Pity it's out of my price range, but the EP1 is a pretty good compromise. It certainly has it's limitations, but those limitations don't bother me, for shooting what I generally like to shoot. I will not stop using the D3, for certain jobs, but after much consideration, I will bring along my EP1 to a wedding next weekend and sneak a few shots in the church with the B&W art filter!

I have already been using the B/W art filter for wedding shoots and travel projects in last two months:D

But lets not compare a MF camera and bring that into the equation, its not really rational anymore. Bottom line of my statements is - a 4/3 sensor has weight and size advantages but that is being challenged by other makers, with superior ISO performance too. So for Olympus to persevere with it for god knows how much longer, will only be detrimental to their loyal users who will consider a shift onto other brands for an all round performance.

TOM
27-09-2010, 12:52pm
i think Olympus have confirmed that they are finishing up the 4/3rds system in favour of the M4/3rds, and now that companies like Voigtlander Cosina have started to produce the M4/3rds lenses, it seems as though they think it will be viable. Certainly the new Voiglander 0.95/25mm lens is exciting, and negates the need for high ISO in a lot of situations. And fast lenses like that can be made cheaply with a smaller sensor system. And these lenses will probably be the key to the systems success or failure. As you say, with cameras like the Leica X1, the new Sony's, with APS-C sized sensors, and a similar size to the EP1, there is no shortage of competitors.