PDA

View Full Version : Calibration.

reaction
09-03-2010, 9:46pm
I use huey pro for Calibration.
I use it for my desktop (ViewSonic 22") and MSi notebook.

But even after Calibration if I show the same pic on both screens, they are not the same. It's not too noticeable, but the desktop LCD is much more saturated. It's most pronounced when a person's face goes red, while on the MSi it looks fine.

What's the deal here?

arthurking83
09-03-2010, 10:01pm
Same here!

My issue is, and apparently it's more common in my setup, I have one CRT and one LCD.

They argue over which one is ideal.

Histogram concurs with the LCD, and yet the printer output(on an uncalibrated, non photographic laser printer!!) concurs with the image on the CRT.
(I'm inclined not to believe the printer/CRT yet)

Not all screens are made equal, that's the issue.

(at a guess)I'd say there's more of a chance that the desktop screen may be the more accurate version tho.

Some Viewsonic LCD's are pretty good for calibration, but it depends on what model.

I've used the red channel as a guide for saturation and use the histogram of an image with saturated reds to compare what the image should look like using that as a guide.

I'm still learning more about calibration and the difference between screens, and how to determine what should look like what.. etc.

ATM, I've given up on calibrating the CRT, and have calibrated it by eye to look as close as possible to the LCD image, but the CRT image is always darker and less contrasty(and hence saturated).

I suppose the best determination is to get a few images printed via a high-ish quality printer or printing facility and calibrate the screen according to that too. Whichever of the two screens presents an image closest to the print, is the one to believe.

post a few sample images and ask for opinions as to colour saturation contrast, etc. If the consensus is that they're too saturate or under saturated you get a better understanding of the calibration of each screen too.

enduro
10-03-2010, 1:37am
I use a Spider2Pro, have three monitors at home: one LG 19", a lappy with a no bells and whistles screen and my wife's Dell lappy with the top of the range LCD. I have two uncalibrated monitors on my work desktop - errk!

When the home systems are put in the same room with plenty of warm up time, calibrated and then have the same images on them the colours all look a bit different.

Monitors are just all different, so are TV's (even the same model - but I shall not go into that here). If one was to take the same processed shot to two quality labs for print I'm pretty sure that the results would be different from each lab.

What we can expect however is that from a calibrated monitor or printer the colour and contrast should be within a standard deviation of what would be accepted as normal. That is, the printed or displayed shot could be viewed with a reasonable eye and the colour cast, contrast and saturation should be within the acceptable range.

Hope that helps.

reaction
10-03-2010, 9:18am
I'm of the view maybe a lappy simply doesn't have the quality LCD to provide saturated colors? But I do most of my work on the lappy, which makes it a horrible workflow.

The reason is at the start of the huey, it shows some concentric black/white circles, and I can't set contrast on it, only brightness, which doesn't show the shades of black/white it tells me I should.

On the desktop, it's just faces, 80% will look a bit saturated, 20% will look red. Again not consistent.
And when we print at photo shops, they 'auto color' our jpegs again, so it's not consistent!

kaiser
10-03-2010, 6:58pm
Most laptop screens have a much smaller gamut than CRT and stand alone LCD monitors. Some do not even cover the sRGB colour space. Therefore you are never going to get them to match closely. I have tried with 2 different calibrators and various calibration software combinations before I came to this realization.

cheers,

matt

reaction
12-03-2010, 2:36pm
so I guess we just can't do PP on laptop screens which makes it a bit hard...

reaction
12-03-2010, 10:52pm
Will the nvidia control pnl affect this? You can choose things like vibrance, gamma etc there, currently it's all 50%

Papou
27-05-2010, 1:10pm
Recently purchased a Spyder pro 3 Elite, did my new Desktop and also did my old laptop no probs whatsoever and easy to follow instructions:)..
Keep it attatched to the main PC near always and it consistently reads the ambient room light..
Only calibration tool ive ever used so cant talk about other brands ..