PDA

View Full Version : Cactus V4's

Bax
08-03-2010, 6:53pm
I was hoping somebody could clear up some issues for me.

I just got 2 YN460's today, plugged them into the v4 receivers and away I went.

Only problem was, only one of them was firing consistently. The closest seem to be the one firing all the time, and the other wasn't firing at all. Turn off the one that is firing and the other one shoots constantly.

I've got both the flashes on M, and the channels are the same all through the receivers and sender.

Any ideas what the cause could be?

MarkChap
08-03-2010, 7:53pm
Have you tried the receivers with out the flash attached, is the little red light going on to indicate they are receiving a signal ??

Have both receivers got ne batteries ??

Bax
09-03-2010, 8:32am
Yes to batteries and red lights. I had them
both working side by side consistently yesterday. But as soon as I moved them to compose a scene.

Was just mucking about. Flash behind a wine bottle at half power and a flash 45 degree front 1/4 power. The closest would work and the rear most wouldn't. After moving myself I got it to fire once or twice but it's terribly unreliable as opposed to the 1 unit.

I'll swap the flashes and receivers this arv. And check that the hotshoe is contacting correctly. But i cant think of what else it'd be.

Gremlin
09-03-2010, 2:32pm
fresh batteries or the ones that came with them I had a similar prob till i swapped for new ones.

Speedway
09-03-2010, 5:08pm
Try using the receiver on one and use the other in auto detect mode.
Keith.

NikonNellie
09-03-2010, 5:31pm
fresh batteries or the ones that came with them I had a similar prob till i swapped for new ones.

I also had to buy new batteries as I had a similar problem. Did you turn off the receivers when you had finished shooting with them previously? I quite often forget to turn them off or I accidently turn that tiny tiny switch on when I am packing them away - I know it's an obvious thing but you would be amazed at how many times you forget to turn them off after you have taken them off your flashes.

Bax
09-03-2010, 7:02pm
I got all three together side by side and sat there pressing the transmitter. 2 worked solidly but the 3rd rarely worked. I think it may have flat batteries so I'll swap the batteries with another before I email gadget infinity and get a replacement. They've got great customer service so I'm not worried as of yet.

Thanks for the input, definitely checking batteries now.

It's good to have the two working though, the third wasn't as important just yet and was only going to use it as background fill, I can put that in with post by merging some photos together. Thanks guys and girls.

Bax
09-03-2010, 7:07pm
And with a quick change of batteries, I've discovered it was indeed bat flatteries.

Time to order 6 rechargeables with another 4 eneloops.

MarkChap
09-03-2010, 7:23pm
Chris, better off just using good old alkaline batteries in them

Packs of 24 at Bunnings for about $10.00

NikonNellie
09-03-2010, 7:28pm
Glad you solved the problem Bax. I also had to change the battery in the transmitter only after a couple of sessions of shooting. Who knows how long they had been sitting in the shop before they were shipped out to me. I love using them so they were worth the little bit of hassle of buyimg new batteries straight off.

Bax
09-03-2010, 7:52pm
Good point Mark,

I will buy another set of eneloops for the 580 and keep some standards for spares and get a handful of AAA's from bunnings tomorrow.

It's good to have them finally working though, sort out some gels and I'll be in business.

deasty1
14-03-2010, 8:22am
I also found I'd have problems if the receivers were attached to the flash other-way-round, even though the connector point seems to be in the middle, or if the locking mechanism wasn't completely tight.