PDA

View Full Version : Got $1500 to spend:::

muffins
07-03-2010, 6:10pm
I've got $1500 to spend on my first digital SLR. Want the best value i guess, rather than just the best camera. But that doesn't mean i want crap. Something that's a good starting camera, but that I wont 'grow out of' any time soon. Looking at Canon and Nikon - surprise surprise! Would like a couple of lenses - is this sensible?? Help me out here please :D

DAdeGroot
07-03-2010, 6:20pm
Well at the moment, you can get either the Canon 50D + 18-135 IS lens or the Nikon D90 + 18-105 lens for about $1550.

Both are very good midrange cameras, decent size, and features, solid construction and a reasonable range kit lens. Both can be had cheaper with just an 18-55 lens, but I'd go the extra $50 for the added focal range.

Alternatively, you could go for an entry level body, and a couple of kit lenses for around the same price, but you're more likely to grow out of that quicker.

And a third option is to hunt around for a second hand body and new or second hand lenses. The Canon 40D & 50D can be had at significant savings second hand, and I dare say you could pick up a Nikon D200 or even a D300 within your budget if you hunt around.

muffins
07-03-2010, 6:41pm
What's an entry level model?? Someone recommended the 550D - is that entry level? What's the difference???

DAdeGroot
07-03-2010, 6:50pm
What's an entry level model?? Someone recommended the 550D - is that entry level? What's the difference???

Yes the 550D (and the 1000D) are entry level Canons.

The main difference is size and build quality. They're more plasticy than the x0D range, and physically smaller, which can be an issue if you have larger hands.
The viewfinder tends to be smaller and darker than the x0D models and the frame rate on continuous is usually slower.
They use SD rather than CF cards (this may or may not be an issue for you).
For some reason, they're also generally noisier in picture quality (despite having the same sensor size).

Having said that though, they're a decent camera and could well do you for many years depending on where you go with your photography.

Analog6
07-03-2010, 7:17pm
And have a look at what is available on the forum here in used bodies. There are a couple of 40Ds (no they are not mine) and often you can get a lot more bang for your buck. I have purchased all except my first body second hand - 300D - 20D - 30D to what I have now (see signature). Do not dismiss used out of hand if you want a bargain.

muffins
07-03-2010, 10:18pm
Thanks for all these replies!!! I'm feeling that second hand might be the way to go? But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take? I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera? And also, newer is not always better? So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D?? All these numbers are starting to get confusing, haha.

DAdeGroot
07-03-2010, 11:58pm
Thanks for all these replies!!! I'm feeling that second hand might be the way to go? But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take? I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera? And also, newer is not always better? So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D?? All these numbers are starting to get confusing, haha.

Better is such a subjective term.

Yes, all mechanical devices have a lifespan. In the case of cameras, the most likely thing to break is the shutter assembly. As such, they are rated by the manufacturers for a certain average number of shutter actuations. So for instance, a 550D might be rated for 50,000 clicks, whereas a 5DMkII might be rated for 150,000 clicks. (You can look these up, I haven't).

Thus people tend to want to know how many shots a camera has taken so they have some idea of how likely the shutter assembly will break is. Shutter assemblies are replaceable, but it helps to know if you'll need to spend up to $750 on a new assembly in the next 6 months, or whether it's likely to live on for the foreseeable future.

I'll also point out that the rating is a Mean Time Between Failure rating, which basically means it might break at any time, but that the average number of actuations that a shutter will last falls around the MTBF number. It might break earlier or last a lot longer - luck of the draw.

Dwarak
08-03-2010, 12:32am
It depends on where are you going to use it as well. I mainly do landscapes and seascapes I lost my 500 d to water damage on the shore freak wave I would not recomend the 550d if you are using it in harsh conditions. The 7d would be my choice very solid built check the thread 7d goes to antartica... I am very happy with it.

Analog6
08-03-2010, 6:09am
But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take?

Yes, as David says, there is a finite life. It is a bit tied to the numbers, so see below.

I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera?

This is so buyers can make an informed decision.

Newer is not always better?

Again due to the numbers, see below.

So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D??

In the way that it might have amore features that you want and a more robust build. It does all come down to individual wants and needs. Do try to go to a camera store and ask to handle the various models and shoot a few frames, that is the best way to get a feel for what will suit you.

The three series of numbers used by Canon (and all are good cameras):
1. ###X (eg 500D) are the entry level ordinary consumer cameras. Lightweight, easy to use, basic features (but lots of them). Crop sensor

2. ##X (eg 40D, 50D) are the Prosumer cameras, for the advanced amateur photographers who want more features and a more robust build. Crop sensor

3. #X: (eg 5D, 7D, 1D series) These are the professional bodies with the top of the line (and therefore most expensive of course) being the 1D series. Weatherproofed, heavier, more robust build. More features. Bigger sensors up to full frame.

Sensor size is based on the old 35mm film format, cameras range from APS sensors (approx 1/2 that size) through various crop factors from 1.6 to 1.3, then to full frame. This crop factor affects the lenses you use.

For starting out, a crop factor camera is still a very good camera, so don't do your head in too much over it.

And yes, it is all awfully confusing and there is a heap to learn.

Darchangel
08-03-2010, 6:42am
If you do decide to buy new, shop around and don't settle for the list price. Obviously spending more money gives you more power to haggle but you should ask for best pricing and ring a bunch of suppliers quoting what another store has offered you.

I started with a quote of around $5.5k for the stuff I'm buying this week from JB HiFi. An hour of ringing stores in the CBD is Sydney has seen that price drop to $4,450 for the exact same gear (and a better filter).

It pays to shop around :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricktas
08-03-2010, 6:47am
And have a look at what is available on the forum here in used bodies. There are a couple of 40Ds (no they are not mine) and often you can get a lot more bang for your buck. I have purchased all except my first body second hand - 300D - 20D - 30D to what I have now (see signature). Do not dismiss used out of hand if you want a bargain.

Members with under 50 posts AND 30 days membership cannot trade gear on AP.

edgewing
08-03-2010, 1:34pm
I have a Sony A300 that is about a year old but they have come out with a nice range of cameras, have a look at the A500 and A550 as they are both around that budget.

Cheers

edgewing
08-03-2010, 1:38pm
Members with under 50 posts AND 30 days membership cannot trade gear on AP.

We are allowed to buy on the classifieds aren't we? My understanding is that those under the quoted limits are not allowed to sell.

wideangle
09-03-2010, 9:45am
If you go Canon, a Canon 50D with Kit EF-S 17-85mm IS can be bought for around $1500. This camera body is sturdy and has other benefits such as a bigger viewing prism etc. This lens is a good starting point and would be better in terms of IQ I would imagine that the standard 18-55 kit lens packs. Alternatively as this is your first SLR you may want to consider the entry level offerings. This way you save on initial camera body costs, and then you can play around with it and work out what you like shooting. From there you can purchase lenses that suit your needs. An entry level model such as the Canon 1000D is a good starting point and you can pick one up with a kit lens for as little as $600. This would leave you with around $900 from your $1500 and this could go towards quality lenses once you have decided what you like to shoot etc. Camera bodies come and go. You say "But that doesn't mean i want crap. Something that's a good starting camera" I would say that no DSLR on the market is not good, they all have their positives and limitations, you have to just decide for yourself as to what you need. Have you been to camera shops and tried holding some cameras and playing with their buttons, as this can help you decide what models you prefer over another.

phild
09-03-2010, 8:41pm
Whatever you buy get the best you can afford. Personally, I'd be tempted to dig a little deeper and get a 7D, the 50D is a very nice camera but the 7D is a big leap above that. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a cheaper model."

pgbphotographytas
09-03-2010, 10:32pm
Whatever you buy get the best you can afford. Personally, I'd be tempted to dig a little deeper and get a 7D, the 50D is a very nice camera but the 7D is a big leap above that. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a cheaper model."

I guess you need to have the $$$ in the first place to afford it :)

Darchangel
09-03-2010, 10:58pm
From $1500 it's a pretty big step up to a 7D. For Aussie stock, your looking at ~$2.2k without a lens. Lens kit options start around the $2.8k mark - that's a fair bit deeper to poke around in a pocket. I agree that the 7D would be an awesome camera, but at double the price there's a fair bit more saving required.

pgbphotographytas
09-03-2010, 11:29pm
Also remember that the lens is the most important factor other than the skill of the user :) Maybe look at something like a Nikon D3000 or D5000 with a twin lens kit and then in the future see where your main interests develop and then buy a "good" lens to suit that.

Redgum
09-03-2010, 11:31pm
From $1500 it's a pretty big step up to a 7D. For Aussie stock, your looking at ~$2.2k without a lens. Lens kit options start around the $2.8k mark - that's a fair bit deeper to poke around in a pocket. I agree that the 7D would be an awesome camera, but at double the price there's a fair bit more saving required.
Muffins, I agree with Pete, if your budget is $1500 don't be talked into something nearly twice that price. There are some good examples in this thread within your limit that you will be more than happy with and take beautiful photos.
Those mentioned by DAdeGroot are fine examples.

rwg717
09-03-2010, 11:35pm
Well at the moment, you can get either the Canon 50D + 18-135 IS lens or the Nikon D90 + 18-105 lens for about $1550.

Both are very good midrange cameras, decent size, and features, solid construction and a reasonable range kit lens. Both can be had cheaper with just an 18-55 lens, but I'd go the extra $50 for the added focal range.

Alternatively, you could go for an entry level body, and a couple of kit lenses for around the same price, but you're more likely to grow out of that quicker.

And a third option is to hunt around for a second hand body and new or second hand lenses. The Canon 40D & 50D can be had at significant savings second hand, and I dare say you could pick up a Nikon D200 or even a D300 within your budget if you hunt around.

Yep, this is pretty good advice, the 50D and 18-135 IS is an excellent start and the kit can be expanded as time goes on. As the late Bruce Bond used to say "hasten slowly", good luck.
Richard

Gremlin
10-03-2010, 12:29am
just to add to the list, uv filter to protect lens element, tripod, flashgun, memory cards, bag to protect your camera and gear. I remember years ago, i didnt even give the extra stuff a thought until Id spent my budget on the body and lens ;)

pgbphotographytas
10-03-2010, 7:22am
just to add to the list, uv filter to protect lens element, tripod, flashgun, memory cards, bag to protect your camera and gear. I remember years ago, i didnt even give the extra stuff a thought until Id spent my budget on the body and lens ;)

Some good points but most of this can be purchased as you need it.
The general feeling on here is that using a UV filter to protect the lens is a bit of a waste unless you are doing a sport where you could have impact on the front of the lens, why put a cheap filter in front of good glass?

Redgum
10-03-2010, 9:26am
Right, that's more like consumer advice. An inexpensive filter can be a challenge.

Gremlin
10-03-2010, 10:15am
shrugs, Ive just always put a filter on my lens as matter of habit to protect front element, I killed a lens once, painful for the wallet experience. UV is what ive aleays used although theres prob a better alternative.

Redgum
10-03-2010, 10:54am
There are good UV filters out there. The problem is that many people simply buy a $9 replica and whilst it protects the lens to some degree it can distort your photos. :confused013

muffins
10-03-2010, 11:49pm
If you go Canon, a Canon 50D with Kit EF-S 17-85mm IS can be bought for around $1500.

Is this new or second hand??? I've been looking at these, and i think a 50D would be great, but i can't even find a body for less than $2000 - is this right??

I'm thinking at this stage that i'll look towards the D90 and the 50D if it can really be had for around $1500. I'm happy to start with basic lenses at this stage - i expect i'll be able to add to my kit as time goes on (and my skill hopefully develops).

The Sony is an interesting proposition - i see that some of the Nikons and Canons even use sony sensors? I've just never considered Sony or any other brands as it seems the professionals only use Canon and Nikon?

Cheers for all the replies. This has really been very helpful.

Darchangel
11-03-2010, 6:39am
Yeah, you are right. If you buy through NGP, it's $1495 for just the 50d body, but add another few hundred for glass - you'd have to stretch your budget or look at second hand if you had your heart set on a 50d.

muffins
11-03-2010, 1:48pm
I've just seen this which looks like good value?

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_6150_Canon_EOS_50D_Digital_SLR_Camera_Body_Only

Is it too risky buying from these sites? I assume it will be an australian products given it's an australian site...anyone got any experience with them?

Darchangel
11-03-2010, 2:44pm
You can't make the assumption that it's Australian stock -there's plenty of grey importers with Aussie sites and even shop fronts that sell HK cameras.

They do mention 1yr Aus warranty, but that could be provided by the store - you never know. Great price tho! I'd call them and ask if their stock is from Canon Aust or grey market, just to be sure - tho I am known to be a little paranoid lately ;)

pgbphotographytas
18-05-2010, 1:21pm
Maybe one of the mid range Sony's?

smallfooties
19-05-2010, 10:42pm
hi there, have you gotten your DSLR yet?
I just got a second hand nikon D200 and a sigma 18 - 50 f2.8 for $1.5k
the D200 is one amazing piece of work horse...

beaco
24-05-2010, 10:43pm
So what did you end up getting?

Glennis
21-06-2010, 9:32pm
What about Pentax? K-x is a great entry level camera and the K7 is a semi pro in the same league as the Nikon d90 Canon 50d

Tonto
22-06-2010, 8:14pm
What about Pentax? K-x is a great entry level camera and the K7 is a semi pro in the same league as the Nikon d90 Canon 50d

I just bought a K7 with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 lens from DCW cost me $1549! I'm stoked!
Also big recommendation for KX and the twin lens kit of the 18-55 and 55-300 - the 55-300 is a very good lens.

Cage
22-06-2010, 8:39pm
I've got $1500 to spend on my first digital SLR. Want the best value i guess, rather than just the best camera. But that doesn't mean i want crap. Something that's a good starting camera, but that I wont 'grow out of' any time soon. Looking at Canon and Nikon - surprise surprise! Would like a couple of lenses - is this sensible?? Help me out here please :D

Mate, Get yourself to your local camera store that stocks all the major brands.

You should look for something that captures around 12-14 MP, is weather resistant, either has image stabilisation built in, or has lens available with that capability, but most importantly, something that 'feels right' in your hand.

Google your short list, read the forums and user feedback before you make your decision.

Good luck

Kevin

bigbaz
23-06-2010, 10:51am
I just had this issue, i am new to photography, and decided on a 550D over a 50D as it was a new release so it was slightly future proofed and had more up to date technology in it and because it was cheaper. I decided against the kit lenses although i later purchased a 55-250mm IS
550D(KissX4) Body $884 Delivered
17-85mm IS USM Lens (Used) $260 Delivered
50mm f/1.8 Lens $130
55-250mm IS $249
2x 8GB SD cards and reader $70

Total $1,593

Now since i have bought a bag, some filters, and a battery grip, but still, i figured there is no point buying a $1,500 body when that is my budget as it leaves me with no glass

annainoz
23-06-2010, 6:37pm
I've learnt bits and pieces here and there and am looking for a DSLR.
50D from dd photographics is $1115 for body only. Grey imports with 12mths warranty from the business. The site you mentioned has the camera with "1yr warranty in Australia' but doesn't mention if it's with Canon or a business they deal with.

As one of the members pointed out, is the $1500 include all the paraphenalia like a camera bag, lens hood, UV filter and memory card. . Tripod you can get in good time.
It's quite overwhelming when you jump into the world of DSLR and well, I've found out it's filled with gadgets here and there.

RainbowDays
24-06-2010, 1:51pm
I also have about $1000 to spend. I'm new here and just wanting to get into photography. Not sure if i want to go pro or just be able to take great photo's of my kids.
I have looked at the Canon 450D and the Canon EOS 1000D they seem to be about the same price. Any recommendations??
Thanks.

tanz
25-06-2010, 8:45am
rainbowdays and muffins, if you are still looking, might find this site helpful http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

you can select the cameras you are deciding between and it will show you all the specs side by side. They also have quite in depth reviews of each camera.

Mods, I checked the rules before posting this site and I think it is ok, so hope I do not get into trouble. :)

RainbowDays
25-06-2010, 2:23pm
Thanks Tanz its a great site.