PDA

View Full Version : Free Software for tethering

cupic
06-03-2010, 11:40pm
After watching a series of podcast I have like a software that enable the camera to be tethered.The thing is its only available to Mac and only to Nikon camera's(oh well i'll have to wait)with canon sony and panasonic in the mix in the future

sofortbildapp.com

It's not bad(basic) but not professional,its free so get it the blend

cheers

arthurking83
07-03-2010, 12:07am
Try THIS one (http://www.bernd-peretzke.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:dcamcapture-engl&catid=1:software&Itemid=3), BUT!!! you have to read the gotcha by line.

You need to have Capture Control Pro installed, even if it's an expired trial version. Must have something to do with the installation of codecs and communications software to the camera.

haven't tried it personally, but I'll give it a go on my D300(and then D70s later too).

I remember having another program installed on my earlier OS system, but for the life of me I can;t remember it!! it was made by the author for the D70s and it worked on other cameras too.
If I can remember the name of it, I'll re reply.

if you do install it, let us know how it works(or not) too.

edit: apologies! for some reason I thought you had a D70 :o oops! didn't read the Pentax sig until after I replied.

And.. SEE!! everyone says Nikon are the bees knees, and for a good reason... they're the best! :D

cupic
07-03-2010, 12:27am
Not been draw into a slinging match :D

cheers

MarkChap
07-03-2010, 12:35am
Canon comes with the software for tethered shooting

EOS utility

MarkW
07-03-2010, 9:39am
Try THIS one (http://www.bernd-peretzke.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:dcamcapture-engl&catid=1:software&Itemid=3), BUT!!! you have to read the gotcha by line.

You need to have Capture Control Pro installed, even if it's an expired trial version. Must have something to do with the installation of codecs and communications software to the camera.

And.. SEE!! everyone says Nikon are the bees knees, and for a good reason... they're the best! :D

Sorry Arthur - would love to try it but I use a Mac.

On the Sofortbild stuff it does work but not with live view. Activating Lv on the D700 whilst tethered with Sofortbild disengages the shutter release. I believe that Nikon Camera Pro does work in view view mode - won't guarantee that as I don't own that programme

Darvidanoar
07-03-2010, 10:05am
Canon comes with the software for tethered shooting

EOS utility
I was having a good play around with it the other weekend practicing self portraits. Camera set up on tripod with laptop on small table just in front. I sat a couple of metres away with wireless mouse and mousepad (I'm the perfect and most patient model lol). Liveview thru the EOS utility and using the software to control the external flashes via the camera (via the tether) was really cool. But jeepers, doesn't liveview run the battery down fast! :)

davidd
08-03-2010, 9:52am

I haven't tried it personally, but I'll give it a go on my D300(and then D70s later too).

I tried this software over the weekend. It's free, and worth every penny of that. :rolleyes:

davidd
09-03-2010, 9:15am
Here is some software that does work pretty well, it's not free, but I tried the trial version as was quite impressed. It costs about $50 US.

http://www.tetherpro.com/

I don't actually have a need for tethered shooting, but would buy this if I did.

ameerat42
09-03-2010, 9:48am
davidd. Tried your link and got:
"jtablesession::Store Failed
DB function failed with error number 1194
Table 'jos_session' is marked as crashed..."
Am...

davidd
09-03-2010, 12:32pm
Hi

just tried it off my post and it worked OK...

Maybe just search for Tetherpro.

serenityFan
25-03-2010, 9:49am
Hi,

My D90 works with this iPhone app: http://www.ononesoftware.com/blog/2009/05/15/iphone-app-from-onone/

So you connect your D90 to notebook, and use your iPhone as remote shutter. You can even do live view on your iphone screen with the full version. Great little app for $20.

JazzXP
25-03-2010, 9:55am
I believe the Lightroom 3 Beta 2 has tethering support built in. Haven't tried it yet though (also free... until 30th June).

achee
23-07-2010, 3:45pm
Is there any free software for tethered shooting for a Canon on a PC?

I've been trying to get the Canon EOS Utility for hours, and after mucking around for a while it worked for one session, then stopped working again. It doesn't seem to recognise that the camera is attached to the computer. I've restarted, reinstalled, updated, etc etc...

So, free tethering software. The above mentioned ones are for Mac or Nikkon, or not free. Any ideas?

Fantasyphoto
23-07-2010, 4:06pm
I was doing some commercial group photography work using a Nikon tethered to a PC but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the software. The problem I found was the subjects kept trying to walk between me and the laptop.

For own own use (Canon) I simply connect the video cable to the camera and use an RCA extension lead to plug into the video terminal of a TV. I found this was very helpful when working with models as they could see the results virtually immediately and alter their pose to suit.

geoffsta
28-08-2012, 5:25pm
Search has worked :D

Anyway...... I got a new Android tablet the other day. And after reading many blogs, I found the only tethering was for Canon.
But last night I found a program called "DSLRDashboard". And had it working on both the Nikon D90 and the D700.

Now this thread is over 2 years old. So I'm wondering whether things have changed. Not only with experiences, but with technology as well. And how many use this method, and why.
I'm going to give it the big test tonight on the moon, providing the clouds stay away.