PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D90 purchase?

ViPeR101
06-03-2010, 7:59pm
Looking for a bit of guidance on my first DSLR purchase. We are keen to start taking decent photos (general family photos, landscapes etc) and thought that the Nikon D90 (with the 18-55mm VR + Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens) after hours of research, as being the best starting point for me and the wife. hopefully i can get JB hifi to match DCW ($1700)

In terms of the rest of the gear I am looking at the following:

- Sandisk 8gb Ultra II memory card (~$45)
- Couple of Hoya 52mm UV Super HMC (Super Hoya Multi-Coated) Filter (~$50 each)
- bag i am unsure of....thinking lowepro shoulder bag for now and then in future a backpack (think shoulder bag will be good for day-to-day)
- extended warranty.....is it really worth it (~$99)

anything else I may have missed for a starting setup? Any suggestions on better/more relevant stuff?

thanks

Big Pix
06-03-2010, 8:06pm
a macro would be good......

ViPeR101
06-03-2010, 9:29pm
can i ask what a macro is used for?? (this will show how much of a newbie i am)

considering getting body only and going with this lens http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-200mm-ii.htm

ricktas
06-03-2010, 9:38pm
As a start up kit, you have a good choice above. I would not worry about a macro lens (for close ups) at this stage.

What you need is to get your gear, and learn how to use it, learn about composition, subject matter, ISO, Shutter Speeds and Aperture. Once you have all that down, and you start to progress your photography you will find genre that interest you more than others. That is when you start looking at lenses specific to your chosen genre.

But get the kit, read and learn. Our New To Photography forum is designed to teach you step by step how to use your camera and improve your photos. Post photos to Ausphotography, and you will get guidance from other members.

Good luck with your purchase, welcome to AP, and stick around, you will learn a lot here.

Alandme
06-03-2010, 10:25pm
I agree with ricktas and wildnikon.
But I would suggest a good tripod.
Monopods are also very useful.

cupic
06-03-2010, 10:55pm
I would go with body only either here as a supporter seller brand new or second hand prices can be had for less than 1000 new ,and use the rest for better glass

cheers

nick351
07-03-2010, 6:30am
The D90 was my first DSLR purchase with the 18-105mm lens combo. The D90 is a great camera and will allow room for growth after you learn to master it's features and the fundamentals of photography.

maccaroneski
07-03-2010, 9:13am
That's a fantastic kit to start with - although I would ditch the filters and the extended warranty, and put that money toward a tripod and a remote release.

One other option could be though is to buy the D90 with either a 50mm 1.8 (less than $200) or a 35mm 1.8 (around $200) whilst you get familiar with the camera and photography, and then that will allow you some flexibility on lens purchases when you know what you are doing. That will save you selling / having the kit lenses lying around if and when you decide that you are going to get into it boots and all. If I knew then what I know now that would have probably been the way that I would approach it.

If you don't make that jump, then you can pick the kit lenses up pretty cheap either second hand or grey import, but it will always come in handy for low light shooting to have a small fast prime in your bag whichever way you go in the future.

I would also suggest getting a bag that is at least slightly larger than what you need - I made the mistake of buying a bag that fit my starting kit exactly, and I grew out of it after precisely one month.

wardfam
07-03-2010, 1:02pm
The only thing i would add to the great advice above is a circular polarizing filter,for your outdoor work.

ViPeR101
07-03-2010, 5:24pm
so kit lenses or 18-200mm single lens (grey mkt).

idea of single lens means no need to change lenses and gives good range (at a cost of 736+shipping)

* Admin Edit : Members with under 30 days membership an 50 posts are not allowed to trade on the site *

ViPeR101
11-03-2010, 11:09pm
just got D90 body from HN for $1270 before cash back.

i think that is a pretty good deal :-)

rogklee
13-03-2010, 9:57am
get a 50mm 1.8.

Best lens ever for a measly 100 something dollars will give you the best pics