PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Melbourne city shoot

Ploddy
03-03-2010, 10:09pm
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to spend an afternoon in Melbourne in May, I'd love to spend it with a camera in my hand. Can anyone suggest some good locations?

I am staying at Southbank so any city areas would be fine. I am particularly interested in people, so ideally places for candid street locales and interesting architecture.

Got any fav spots?

kiwi
03-03-2010, 10:13pm
Federation Square, Albert Park and Southbank itself I found interesting when I have popped in to Mel in the past

James T
04-03-2010, 10:18am
Just walk into the cbd if you want street shots. The laneways are always popular of course, Degraves Place is cool, plenty of funky little cafes and bars down there as well. Down in the business end of town around Bourke and William, or King Streets, you get great reflected light in the mid-afternoon from all the big glass buildings.

Architecture, the new area at Southwarf is very cool, new DFO, Hilton Hotel, etc. lots of great angles and huge glass lobby areas, looks best in harsh sunlight for cool shadows. (Just keep walking west along the river from Southbank).

ozdevil
15-03-2010, 4:46am
I totally agree with james t with his selection of areas to take some shots.. there is plenty of eatries in some of the lane ways and are pretty close to southbank. vic markets would be another good location

Ploddy
15-03-2010, 8:37am
Thanks for these,

With a little help from google maps I should be able to plan a nice day. Hooray!