PDA

View Full Version : What CF Card for 7D Video Shooting?

wideangle
03-03-2010, 12:03pm
At the moment I am using Sandisk CF Ultra II Cards for shooting. When it comes to shooting the highest quality video on the Canon 7D, will this speed card be able to buffer quick enough, or should I look at faster cards? UDMA 60MB sec or would the Ultra 3 cards do the job, or the Ultra 2 cards?

wideangle
03-03-2010, 1:11pm
At the moment I am using Sandisk CF Ultra II Cards for shooting. When it comes to shooting the highest quality video on the Canon 7D, will this speed card be able to buffer quick enough, or should I look at faster cards? UDMA 60MB sec or would the Ultra 3 cards do the job, or the Ultra 2 cards?

Ended up just going a 8GB 60mb.sec card. Maybe overkill, but better to have more speed and space than not enough eh?:th3:

MarkChap
03-03-2010, 1:58pm
Minimum requirement is 8 MB/sec page 149 of the manual

wideangle
03-03-2010, 2:18pm
Minimum requirement is 8 MB/sec page 149 of the manual

OK, thanks so the Ultra 2 15mb sound like they would do the job well anyhow.
cheers

Lani
03-03-2010, 3:58pm
So you've got a 7D then Thomas? :D

etherial
03-03-2010, 4:00pm
He's ordered it...and is now in that twitchy uncomfortable time pacing around the house waiting for it to arrive!:p

Lani
03-03-2010, 4:14pm
He's ordered it...and is now in that twitchy uncomfortable time pacing around the house waiting for it to arrive!:p

Aha....I know that feeling well lol. :D

Brodie
04-03-2010, 12:00pm
I dont know how you survive with a Ultra II on a 7D even just for still photos. Ultra II are extreeeeemely slow, and I discovered that taking just 6 megapixel images on a 30D. You may not notice it if you have never used anything faster. Get yourself even an extreme III, or go bonkers and get an EXtreme IV or Pro, and you will never touch an Ultra II again.

For video I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16gig card. They can fill up quick if your serious about your video.

wideangle
04-03-2010, 6:18pm
Never had a problem with CF 2 cards, but then again that has been the fastest I've had. Trouble is with a new 60mb/sec card I reckon I will know the cf2 cards will seem very slow!!

Brodie
05-03-2010, 6:20pm
Never had a problem with CF 2 cards, but then again that has been the fastest I've had. Trouble is with a new 60mb/sec card I reckon I will know the cf2 cards will seem very slow!!

Yeah thats exactly right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ultra II cards. I am a big fan of Sandisk cards. But once you buy one of the faster cards you will be kicking yourself wondering why you didnt get one sooner.

As a quick example, on a 30D with 6MP RAW images, when you scroll through them on the cameras display it can be quite slow and you have to wait for each one to load. On a newer Extreme III car, those images will fly past on the display just about as quick as you can scroll your finger.

So think about the difference it would make to your sports shooting if your firing away on high burst mode. Your going to be able to capture much more action! Just two examples.

rwg717
23-03-2010, 9:30pm
I dont know how you survive with a Ultra II on a 7D even just for still photos. Ultra II are extreeeeemely slow, and I discovered that taking just 6 megapixel images on a 30D. You may not notice it if you have never used anything faster. Get yourself even an extreme III, or go bonkers and get an EXtreme IV or Pro, and you will never touch an Ultra II again.

For video I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16gig card. They can fill up quick if your serious about your video.

Yes, the Ultra II is a bit slow, the Extreme III is what I use, the 16Gb is about $150-00:D
Richard

ArMiSo
23-03-2010, 10:38pm
Thomas - where did you order your 7D from? I've finally decided (even though the 550D slowed me down a little) that the 7D will be for me. It would be good to understand how you made your supplier choice.

peterking
26-03-2010, 11:46pm
My 7D and 16GB Sandisk Ultra Pro turned up the other day and I'm just a bit scared to touch it.
Big jump from the 2350D with Extreme IV 4gb cards.

Darchangel
30-03-2010, 11:18pm
Actually, $150 is a bit pricey. CheapAsChips has 16GB Extreme (60mb/s) for $140 from memory, and pretty sure they are the replacement for the Extreme3's (they've dropped the roman numerals now).

NGP has also just listed these in the classified sub-forum for $135.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArMiSo
03-04-2010, 6:52pm
hi guys - speaking of memory cards I have found some prices as part of my research for the 7D. DD electronics has the 16GB 60MB/s cards for $100: http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/products/SanDisk-Extreme-16GB-CF-Card-60Mb%7B47%7Ds.html