PDA

View Full Version : Network backup

chaz
03-03-2010, 12:19am
I've been running CS3 photoshop on an iMac and relying on Time Machine for backups, with regular burns to DVDs for off-site security. An HP xw4600 workstation has just joined the family (don't ask) also with CS3, so I'm thinking of a Network Assisted Server to host all the digital library and link both machines. This is all new turf for me, and doing some research its clear that my needs are at the baby end of this stuff, but I'm considering a NAS RAID 1 system either the Lacie 2big Quadra 2TB unit, or the iOmega Storcenter 2TB system. Both are under $500 and seem to meet my needs. Any of your professional, multi-platform professionals have any tips/suggestions on this for an amateur. I don't think I need internet streaming video/music/bit torrent stuff - just something to manage and backup images from both machines that does not break the bank (I'd rather be buying another lens). Thanks :umm:

ricktas
03-03-2010, 7:29am
First off, good work on considering a backup solution. Raid is a good way to go, but it is not 100% secure. Raid uses a Raid controller which sets up which bit of your file ends up on which drive, thus supposedly ensuring a redundant backup solution. However, if your raid controller dies, it is goodbye data as well. So when you are thinking about your backup system, also take into account that Raid is not perfect, and have another backup copy elsewhere as well.

My current setup is:

External hard drive with all my photos on it, which are also backed up to my Raid 5 system, and another external hard drive that lives at a friends place, and is brought home once every couple of weeks and backed up to as well. An off-site backup is worthwhile in case of fire, burglary etc.

So, yes, consider a Raid system, but have it as part of an overall backup plan

pgbphotographytas
03-03-2010, 8:24am
I totally agree with Rick, a RAID system is good but if it is at home and it gets stolen / house burns down / it breaks you are stuffed.

I have all my photos on a USB hard drive which is carried with me and is backed up to another USB hard drive that stays at home and another USB hard drive that stays at work.

phild
03-03-2010, 8:33am
Dlink make a couple of Gigabit NAS boxes, one takes dual drives, the other 4. They're reasonably priced at around $300 & $600 and have had good reviews. They can be configured as RAID if desired.

chaz
03-03-2010, 5:55pm
Thanks all - helpful tips. I think i can add a USB external HD to the RAID unit, which I'll configure as auto-backup to manage the risk of NAS failure. I'll look into the Dlink as well. Cheers.

Kym
03-03-2010, 5:58pm
read this: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=197370#post197370 ;)

stoogest
07-03-2010, 10:07am
I've been looking into NAS options lately and I came across this fantastic guide to selecting the best setup:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-basics/30914-how-to-buy-a-nas-shorter-version

(There's a more detailed guide on the same site for those that want a more in-depth discussion)

Very helpful in explaining what can be a very complicated exercise!

Kym, it may be worth considering including a link to this site in the guide you linked to above. Your call...

Andrew.

chaz
07-03-2010, 12:52pm
Thanks Andrew - this is an excelent site that clarifies much I was unsure about, including whether I need a RAID setup on the NAS? More work to do yet. Cheers