PDA

View Full Version : Is That Image Worth Your Life?

MarkW
17-07-2007, 11:16am
It has been suggested by one of the Forum members that I write an article on the dangers of the industrial environment to the budding photographer. Many of you have never been exposed to the industrial environment and especially one which is in decay and this poses a danger.

Many of you have seen the stark and surrealistic images taken in derelict building, factories and other industrial landscapes and considered these places as a source of inspiration. Whilst these images can really set the creative mind afire, the dangers posed by these sites to the photographer need to assessed before entry. I’m trying to make people aware of the risks and to take necessary precautions. In some instances the risks are just too great and I will explain why under each danger topic.

When you go anywhere outside of your normal day to day, get in the habit of doing a risk assessment before you enter the unknown. I don’t mean you have to have formal written document, just stop and think about what you could come across first. Look for signs of what the site used to do and this will give you a clue to the hazards you may face and yes there will be hazards, I can guarantee this. Some of the hazards you need to think about are:

Chemicals previously used on site – they could be toxic and Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) or they can have long term effects such as causing birth defects, weakening the bodies systems or causing cancers. Steel drums rust and spill contents wherever they stand. Chemicals can also be in powdered forms which can be blown about the site. Be cautious in what you pick up or handle.

Asbestos – I give this its own special category as this deadly product is everywhere in the Australian landscape. Asbestos can be found in everything from roof and wall sheeting (fibro) to insulation materials in furnaces and electrical equipment The Worksafe Standards permit 1 fibre for every 2 litres of air space as being acceptable in the air you breathe, but you still need to understand that it only takes 1 fibre to get stuck in your lungs to be susceptible to Asbestosis and Mesothelioma 10 or more years later. Whilst you can easily see asbestos materials, it’s the floating fibres which pose the danger. These fibres are between 0.3 to 0.5 microns (thousandths of a millimetre) so small that you cannot see them except maybe just as a dust mote in strong sunlight. Once disturbed, asbestos fibres can float in still air for hours. At this size the fibre is too large to be expelled from the body by normal breathing and too small to be expelled by coughing.

Unstable Structures – brick walls where timber frames have rotted away can collapse, old machinery mounted on frames that have rusted or stairways rotten or rusted. Don’t trust your life to any structure – stay on the ground, don’t climb ladders or stairways.

Live Electrical – Just because the site is derelict doesn’t mean the power isn’t connected somewhere and with factories the voltages can be a lot higher than just 240 volts. Also remember that a combination of electricity and old chemicals can equal explosions or chemical fires. Don’t touch what you don’t understand.

Other Services – The same as electricity, piped gas services and water may still be connected and live.

Confined Spaces – These are places where the air you breathe can be or is contaminated. Most of the killer gases that can be found in confined spaces are odourless and will overcome you in seconds with death following a few seconds later. Do NOT enter pits or tunnels or other confined spaces unless you have gas detection devices as a minimum. If you don’t understand then don’t go in.

Slips trips and falls – Derelict sites are not renown for their cleaned tidy floors. It is normal for debris to be scattered everywhere. Remember there may be trenches, pits and other holes in the ground which have been covered by debris. Watch your footing.

Who You Going to Call – If something goes wrong, what are you going to do? Do you have to rely on yourself? do you have an exit strategy? Ensure your mobile is charged and in service, alternatively let someone else know where you are and stick to what you told them.

I’m not saying don’t go exploring and getting that award winning image but be cautious, understand the environment your in, be informed and aware of the dangers it poses. When I was young and indestructible SCUBA diving and underwater photography was my outlet. In those 20 years I’ve had many of close calls and I’ve hauled body of one of the dive group from the sea – he didn’t make it – I hope you don’t have to do the same. Stay safe

This is a pretty quick overview and I could go on for days in detail - I'd like to see others advice too :action66:

I @ M
17-07-2007, 6:01pm
Very well written Mark :th3:, it never hurts to have a reminder of the perils and pitfalls that can accompany even a seemingly "harmless" pursuit such as photography.

SpaceJunk
17-07-2007, 6:54pm
Awesome post Mark, you have performed a great service to those of us who occasionally, for one reason or another, do stuff without thinking it through a little, sometimes you get away with it, sadly sometimes you don't. As you correctly state, think about it a bit first, and if you don't know find out?

I do a bit landscape and always have in the back of my mind to be on the lookout for chemicals, some of the older farm chemicals are pretty nasty so I'm extra careful near old buildings, or tips, any old bags or rusty tins I stay right away from.

anyone else got a safety tip for what they do ?

sans2012
17-07-2007, 7:44pm
Put together very well Mark - you obviously know your stuff.

Briancd
17-07-2007, 8:55pm
Very well thought through and very well put together. Thank you for the effort and concern that you have shown for others.

Posts like this should be placed in a permanent position at the top of the appropriate forum (stickies I believe is the term) so that they can be viewed as a reminder or warning to new members. Mods, for consideration.

arthurking83
17-07-2007, 9:13pm
It's not only the dangers of any misfortune that we should be concentrating on, there's also the concept of trespassing too!

I've missed many photo ops, because I tend not to trespass onto other peoples' property, and especially if there appears to be any element of danger involved.. I'll just try to get a shot from afar.. hence my need for a lens between 80-300mm!

And I'm not just referring to dilapidated/abandoned property.
Too many times I wanted to get to a location in the middle of a paddock.. only to be held back by those infuriating cows!! :mad:

:D

thing
17-07-2007, 11:02pm
Yes well done Mark. Thanks for your time on this. Let us look for an appropriate place to post it.

MarkW
18-07-2007, 8:35am
The farm structure you really need to watch will be two short sets of fence rails (cattle race) about 1.5 to 1.8m apart leading to a pit that may or may not be there (filled in). There may also be an open sided roofed shed just at the start of the rails. Sometime all that will be left is a rectangular depression in the ground. These are old live stock drenching sites where the animals are driven through a bath of fairly toxic chemicals to combat parasites such as ticks etc. The bath is just a hole excavated in the ground so the chemicals soak into the earth and contaminate the soils for sometimes hundreds of metres in the surrounding area.

The chemcials previously used were Dieldrin (toxic to touch/inhalation) arsenic (a heavy metal and very toxic) and DDT - Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane (Very toxic with a half life of 15 years).

If the soil is dry, the wind can blow the contaminated dust and you get to breath it in. Once a heavy metal or DDT enters the body into the fat cells, it never leaves - your poisoned pretty must for life.

On the up side the various departments for agriculture have been trying to remove these sites by digging them out for the past 20 or more years but there are still sites they know exist and quite probably a fair few they don't know of.

MarkW
18-07-2007, 8:36am
Thanks guys - its great to see that the thread wasn't a wasted effort. :) :) :) I just hope the "indestructibles" give it a quick glance.

MagnusAgrenPhotography
18-07-2007, 9:11am
mmmm good advice... :)

Thanks mark.
More care to be taken...

also, with abandoned places in farm situations, some advice that works for me is to ask the neighbours who owns it and get some history on the place, its interesting info also!

SirNobicus
18-07-2007, 10:44am
Thats some really good advice, thanks for taking the time to write it up

:-)

Harves
18-07-2007, 11:19am
That is great info, thanks for pointing it out. In addition to that, the hazards exist while shooting landscapes, etc, making sure you don't step on a snake, fall in the river or something. I always pack a first aid kit, with a couple of compression bandages, because of the poor service in the bush I take a digital phone and a cdma phone, hopefully I can get service from one of them.

chelseahunter
20-07-2007, 9:19pm
hmm this wasnt directed at me by any chance was it?... haha :P
i was only in the shack thing for like 1 minute!

MarkW
20-07-2007, 10:08pm

Well sort of but it wasn't really directed at you, but your little exploration highlighted the need as many members have virtually nil industrial experience or the knowledge to recognise a dangerous situation.

See my PM

SpaceJunk
21-07-2007, 5:15am

I agree with MarkW and what he has offered us members Chelsea, we should all look out for each other and just as we share our photographic tips and techniques we should pass on any 'gotchas' we know about or have encountered, as photographers we can at times get ourselves into unfamiliar surroundings and maybe overlook the dangers that someone more familiar with the site would immediately know and recognise, its all about being careful and looking after #1. It shouldn't be seen as a burden Chelsea, just something we automatically do to try an avoid injury or worse ..................... you could break your camera? :crzy:

chelseahunter
21-07-2007, 7:58am
heh heh. Nah really thanks guys, it has been handy. I wouldnt usually think twice about where I go to take photos, but next time I will be more observant about where I go.

thankyou :)

Ollé
07-08-2007, 7:17pm
A great warning to all photographers.

I reckon most PJs (Photojournalists) should give this a read as well as I know a few who will put the shot before their well-being - not cool.

What good is a Pullitzer if you are dead?

avian
16-04-2008, 8:31pm
I agree about the diving dangers and support the need for vigilance at ALL times. I did a lot of u/w photography and have logged over 500 solo dives around Sydney myself. But here is a little blurp I wrote as part of a 'Bird photography how-to' for another site some time ago. This is specified to stuff I do experience, but it can be applied everywhere.

Common sense and anticipating events is a must. Even if they do not happen. :)

SAFETY TIPS AROUND WATERWAYS

Working around water presents its own dangers. While it may sound far-fetched, photographing in, around and near water can kill you by the way of drowning, so you should always exercise extreme care when around lakes, seashores, dams or creeks etc. All it takes is a careless step and a slip into water, combined with a head striking a rock or anything heavy enough, could have tragic results. So take care, watch your step and you will still enjoy the experience. I do take a lot of care around water as I tend to dive right in (no pun intended) because as far as I am concerned, being as close to the subjects as possible, within their own environment is always going to get the best results photographically. There have been many times when I chose NOT to step as I deemed a situation precarious, and there were times, when I lost my footing momentarily in the river while carefully wading in shallows and I suddenly stepped into a smaller hole.

Needless to say, in the harsh Aussie sun sunscreen is a necessity - NOT an option. However, by the time the sun gets high up and strong enough, you ought not to be photographing, but scouting out locations for shooting perspectives, collecting branches to use as perches if you are setting up a shoot and so on. Alternatively, if it is overcast, you could keep shooting, but the sun’s UV rays will still penetrate through cloud thus don’t be slack with UV protection.

Stay safe!

And hereby I am wishing you warm light. :)

Steve Axford
16-04-2008, 9:34pm
I think you need to learn about the environment you go into so that you can do it with your eyes open to the potential risks. Sometimes I do go into risky places for a photograph, but sometimes I dare to cross a road to, or drive in a car too. A very good friend of mine, who is now dead, once said that life is what you do with it, not how long you spend in it. I'll certainly do my best to survive as long as I can, but not at the expense of living.

Redback51
16-04-2008, 9:42pm
Have just stumbled across thia post, and a truer word has not been spoken.

Between Nimmatabel and Bombala there's an old abattoir. It's a huge, dank building of up to four levels. The concrete floors are full of holes, which are covered with old straw and newspapers. Stairwells have no handrails...some stairs are suspended on their own not even attached to walls.

Lord alone knows what chemicals were used in the plant, which is now owned by a farming family which uses it to store heavy machinery. Nonetheless. such structures can provide good photo opportunities. One just has to be aware of the environment!!

A good thread. Cheers :food04:

avian
17-04-2008, 5:37am
I think you need to learn about the environment you go into so that you can do it with your eyes open to the potential risks. Sometimes I do go into risky places for a photograph, but sometimes I dare to cross a road to, or drive in a car too. A very good friend of mine, who is now dead, once said that life is what you do with it, not how long you spend in it. I'll certainly do my best to survive as long as I can, but not at the expense of living.

That is the best philosophy I reckon. As long as one is capable of taking responsibilty for their action no matter what. Life must move at a pcae that is comfortabe. It's just everyone has their level of 'comfort'. I think the road crossing or driving are far more dangerous, however, just don't push the boundaries. :D

pgbphotographytas
17-04-2008, 2:52pm
Thanks for this thread, it has raised a number of good points and I will keep these in mind when I am out and about shooting....

Outback Flyer
01-05-2008, 6:44pm
Hi all I found this thread very interesting and for what its worth, I might add to it, in the hope that someone might benefit.
In addition to industrial and natural hazards well mentioned prior, my exposure- sorry, has been to photograph social and environmental subjects in developing countries, and although the playing field is different to here in good old Australia, we all take a camera when we travel overseas.
When photographing in a foreign country try to get a feel for the mood around you before taking your camera out or holding it up to view, look about for any government building, utilities or military premise, even some soldiers leaning against a jeep can lead to tears if the mood is not good.
The photography of strategic infrastructure is also often out of bounds in most countries, and its best to ask a uniformed official nearby before shooting the rail station in Cairo or a guard post at border crossing at Vic Falls.(or the Sydney Harbour Bridge).
In rural villages like those in Africa, many old people will become distressed if they believe their image has been taken, and at least will turn away, no good shots will come of it, the damage has by then already been done, it is usually seen as just rude rather than the worn out old “stealing of the sole” myth.
Many Muslim societies are offended when infidels take photographs of children even in a public place, so a long lens and discretion are required in those situations.
Drunks, Soldiers , Police and thieves will often confront the photographer and protest that an offence has been committed by your photography, on many occasions I have born the brunt to the point of arrest, threats of violence, equipment confiscation and worse, usually though, when neither side shows signs of submission, the subject of money arises, then the balance of power shifts to the patient photographer, who can insist the “fine” will only be paid at the police station, or to the commanding military officer.
In most cases the whole interaction ends soon after, under no circumstances should you hand money to any one who claims to be the local authority unless it is in a formal circumstance, and never be intimidated into deleting or pulling film from your camera.
If you really do end up being charged, even wrongfully, you must engage all your manners and heart felt apologies!!
If the subject is people I try to first position myself discretely and try to blend in with the environment, I often don’t take out the camera for some time, to get a feel of what’s going on, such as in a village market, at first you will be the centre of attention, and it seems hopeless, but at some point the novelty wears off and folks return to more pressing pursuits, like making a living, then you can start to look for good subjects and action.
Security is important, try not to wear any sort of jewellery or accessories, no matter how value less they may be to you, thieves will steal first then discard, and be aware that even your cheap and nasty duty free SLR represents a nice prize to many people living on less than US$1 per day, so you are carrying quite a temptation even without a Rolex.
I try not to change lenses or film in crowded places, and usually use a wide angle so I can keep an eye on those near by, in fact it’s often best to limit the amount of gear you take on each outing, it can be an advantage in that you force yourself to look at subjects with new perspectives.
I move back to a safe spot to make changes in gear or film, and to take a moment to re- assess the situation, drink some water and blend in again.
Always keep your camera bag secured and preferably at your front in a crowd.
Keep an eye out for any figure that seems to show up each time you stop to take a photo, look around you for signs of a mood shift in the crowd, especially at a demonstration or any public gathering, and never enlist the services of a guide that you just happened to meet on location.
As for paying for photographs, I will leave my opinions out on that, but a warning, if you do agree to make a payment, make sure both parties understand how much and to whom the money is to be paid to before the shutter is released.
Be prepared, have small local notes in pocket, do not open your wallet and expose any other money on your person when you are on the street, and obviously never show where your money belt is.
Lastly, keep in mind that in a foreign country unlike here, it is not your right to take a photograph.
Good travels !!
John

Barchboy
01-05-2008, 8:48pm
great post john and so true.

Kym
04-07-2008, 10:01am
Cross linking Rail Safety... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13889

Shane.R
07-07-2008, 9:02pm
Consequences can have nasty reactions..

perfectdistance
03-08-2008, 4:53pm
Great article. Thanks for posting. Really puts a few things in perspective.

Kym
01-10-2008, 11:30am
Trainspotting & Safety

Updated (again):
(I see the daily train control shift journals - the number of people doing really dumb things with trains on an daily / weekly basis is frightening. esp. vehicles and level crossings, there are regular deaths due to plain stupidity)

If you are planning to photograph trains then consider these:

[I work in the rail industry and having done track safety awareness and access training...]

1. Trains can and do kill!!

2. It is illegal to access the rail corridor without proper authorisation (i.e. 15 metres from the outermost rail or within the fenced area)

3. The danger zone is within 3 metres of the track, but that is not all that safe due to items that may come loose (eg. ropes, chains, container doors etc.)

4. Some authorities will take umbrage at photo's of 'sensitive' infrastructure (gotta watch for dem terry wrists!!) - you can contact train control and advise them of your activity!

5. Points (switches) may move without warning - they are remote controlled and can crush feet

6. Approaching trains are often quiet - most of our network is bi directional - so you have lookout(s) and othe protection measure in place

7. Don't walk on the rails, always step over - it much safer - also: ballast is very unstable

8. If you do get official access you will be required to wear orange high visibility outer clothing (vest etc) and approved ankle high steel capped boots, and be accompanied by a qualified rail safe worker (eg. level B for ARTC in SA, varies by state and network)

9. Electrical hazards - obviously electric trains have high voltage and current, but you can be hurt/killed by signalling and control equipment

10. If you see untoward or unsafe activity - report it !!

warden
06-01-2009, 11:51pm
Very interesting and informative posts in this thread.
As someone that is involved in what can be considered high risk works (Confined Space, Height Works, Remote Area and most of it Solo) I can never harp at people enought about stopping and looking around for the hazards before beginning a task. This is especially so when you're trying to capture that shot, focusing purely through the lens only to step back off that loading dock. Knowing whats around you is key, regardless of what the hazard is.

stoogest
14-02-2009, 10:06am
This may be obvious to all of you, but it probably bears repeating. The most common (and potentially damaging) risk I have encountered is the simple step backwards. Whether it's on wet rocks, in the bush, on a footpath or anywhere else you tend to get absorbed into the photo taking process and often lose touch with your surroundings. To get the perfect framing of the subject you often take a few step backwards (with the eye firmly glued to the viewfinder of course!) and can easily find yourself stepping into thin air or worse.

Situational awareness is the key.

(oh yeah, and always look over your shoulder for potentially aggressive bovine!)

bigbikes
14-02-2009, 10:15am
This is an extremely well written tread with many good points that I think we should all keep in mind. We have done it, going in area's were we shouldnt have been, and we do this without even thinking. Hopefully after reading all the answers posted in here we might think before continueing.
Great thread

Paper_Mache_Man
16-03-2009, 3:15pm
This may be obvious to all of you, but it probably bears repeating. The most common (and potentially damaging) risk I have encountered is the simple step backwards.

YES! We have a family friend who almost killed himself walking off a cliff doing just that. He wasn't anywhere near the edge (so no, wasn't just being loony) but he was close enough so that when he tripped and fell backwards he rolled down the slope and was only saved by a thin, half rotten, chicken wire fence.

Everyone thought they were about to see him go over the edge.

SpaceJunk
14-06-2009, 9:25am
just a little bump to refresh our memories, safety should be everyones first priority, but if you insist on risky behaviour spare a thought for the unsung heroes in our communities that will endeavour to rescue you.............. these wonderful folks have families and loved ones too, how would you feel about it if your risk taking resulted in death or injury to a rescuer?
And have a second think about chemical or biohazard contamination.................. would you go straight home and put your clothes in the family washing machine so your entire family could share in your misfortune? It really is better to think first and act appropriately before getting into a situation you may or may not live to regret.:o

kiwi
17-06-2009, 4:07pm
I think this takes the cake

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/Tactical_Resp/?action=view&current=MVI_1778.flv

I @ M
17-06-2009, 4:26pm
Darren, that is so unbelievable as to be totally unbelievable. The worst of it is that they sound as if they are Australians.
Words fail me totally.
All I can say is nobody, repeat NOBODY ever do anything as stupid as this even if you are offered dollars to do it.

ricktas
17-06-2009, 5:15pm
Darwin would be laughing in his grave at that one Darren. Some peoples IQ must be in single digits.

kiwi
17-06-2009, 5:18pm
oh...should clarify...it's American

Miaow
17-06-2009, 5:23pm
omg - thats guys insane being there :eek:

David
17-06-2009, 5:35pm
im not that crazy but have 'forgotten' where I was early on when I got a camera and started walking around in rainforests with thongs, shorts and a sleeveless T Shirt...not smart. A close encounter with a Red Belly Black (snake), a tick in my ear and few million middi and mossie bites cured me of that very quickly.

Now I kit up properly, look like a complete tosser *well ok, more so* with my hat and long pants and sleeves and proper hiking boots and mossie repellant and kit bag with First Aid kit, extra water bottle, emergency food supply and torch etc cf the 'tourists' that stroll past me in the rainforests but I dont give a damn- better safe and ready that 'cool' and dead,, i think :)

Analog6
21-06-2009, 3:50pm
The photobucket link is now showing page not foudn - maybe an admin there got a look at it!

Bagubun, it is not being a tosser to be sensible.

The thing I thought of reading the first post was why not drop a facemask in the camera bag. One of those little foldingones you can buy at any hardware store, my OH uses one when weed spraying. Just a few cents and takes up no room, but you'd alwasy be prepared.

And I always longed to get into that old abbatoir building near Nimmitabel (it ias the one on the railway line, isn't it?) - I thoguht it would be great for photos. I am always very careful. and never go alone, but we go to lost of these old sites in our historic rail explorations.

matilda
27-08-2009, 1:55pm
i thought of another thing to add to the list, and that is storm water drains. Some people are just plain stupid and like to go in them, and then when bad weather hits... yeah you get the drift.

HerveyBayShutterBug
25-11-2009, 9:44pm
Just been thinking through some of the jobs i've done as a Paramedic over the years where photographers have gotten themselves into strife.

1 slipped and fell about 6 metres into a rocky creek bed in rainforest, another slipped on the same rocks the other guy fell onto and cracked his scalp.

1 briefly clipped a moving train and got lollypopped, 1 fell off a train trying to get night shots and lost limbs.

2 assaulted.

1 stepped backwards off a gutter and broke his lower leg badly.

1 Cleaned up by a footballer and about 4 guys chasing the said footballer over the line near the flag.

1 Fell into a harvester.

There's probably more scattered over a 25+ year period...................

Take Care out there.
Martin

nigo75
04-02-2010, 1:41pm
Well done for brining this to our attention. I work in a place where these hazards are pumped into us every day (and yes we still have accidents) so to bring it up is a great idea as long as people read and at least have a little common sense......:wd:

jasevk
04-02-2010, 2:30pm
As a safety professional, I must say that this thread is brilliant and you deserve a pat on the back for this :) Every photographer should read this..... the AIPP ought to publish something along these lines (if they haven't already)

boggo
27-04-2010, 6:37pm
Som bad news today it looks like...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/photographer-dies-in-cliff-plunge-off-south-australian-coast-20100427-tp7n.html

Dizzy Photographics
27-04-2010, 6:41pm
i just received this through my adelaide now newsletter...tragic :( safety first guys....always safety first

OzzieTraveller
29-04-2010, 8:30am
G'day all

Just seen this thread and - wow, thanks to all who have contributed

A decade ago we lost a family member who fell to his death at the 12 Apostles on the Great Ocean Road in western Victoria

The family did not know he had come to grief ... he was having a few days to himself to "go bush for his photographic enjoyment" and a local farmer noticed that the same car was parked in the same spot 36 hrs later... His body, with his 2 SLRs around his neck was found at the bottom of a 40metre cliff; he had crossed over a safety rail to get a better view of the scenery and quite obviously, slipped and fell

Regards, Phil

Jeanette
29-04-2010, 10:23am
safety first .. this is a great thread guys .. one we all need reminding of hey

darylcheshire
18-05-2010, 11:59pm
I sometimes stand on photo lines and photograph an approaching train as part of an organised event.

When photographing an approaching train with a 28mm lens, the view is distorted and the locomotive looms up suddenly and the ground shakes. Best to have both eyes open and look around you. It's also possible to lose you balance or stumble if you get a distorted view through a 28 mm lens. You could trip on the ballast or sleepers. It used to give me a fright.

Daryl.

Chilli
28-02-2011, 12:03pm
Yesterday afternoon a 37 year old woman tripped and fell to her death when she was taking photos of the quarry in Gooseberry hill ( Perth).
R.I.P. :rose:

Nikkie
13-06-2011, 9:19am
I found my self in a difficult situation the other day looking for something nice to take photos I was on a dirt road and I turned of onto another dirt road it was narrow but right at the end of the road was a locked gate there was a wall of a hill on one side of the road and a pretty large drop on the other side of the road it took me and my little car about 8 point turn very slowly and very carefully I managed to turn around and got out of there so sometimes just looking for a spot could have cost me my life or a lot of damage

OzzieTraveller
13-06-2011, 6:37pm
G'day all

Just come back to revisit this thread after some time ...
One of the things in my camera bag - has been for 4-5 yrs - is a worker's fluoro-orange safety vest. EVERY time I get out of the motorhome to walk up the road etc etc to chase some images, on goes the vest :)

Regards, Phil

rsanders
20-06-2011, 11:28am
Photography can be someone's hobby but a life to another. That is why, there should be high regard for those who are risking theirs every time they go at it.

I would like to commend those who are on a death mission just to capture shots from wars and unruly places. Yes, you could get inspiration from that and credit should be given where it is due.

ytf
20-06-2011, 12:55pm
One thing I haven't seen in these threads: If you are going somewhere potentially dangerous and unfamiliar, bring a friend.

robgubiani
01-08-2011, 4:56pm
Having worked in many many many dangerous industrial locations, I can say the above article is very true. Some of these places like brickworks, lime factories or most old building are full of stuff that can kill, mame, blind and many other things. Asbestos is almost guaranteed to be present. Best bit of advice is find out the history of the place if possibly and always go with a buddy.

AstonKemp
10-06-2012, 7:43am
After the heavy seas earlier in the week its worth reminding those chasing photographs on rock shelves and cliffs of the ever present danger in these places. Seventy four fishermen were washed of rock shelves last year and killed. If you frequent these places please use rock cleats on your footwear and a life jacket. Be extra aware before sunrise and after sunset in the dark.

smiley
20-07-2012, 7:15pm
thank you Mark i think you've hit the nail on the head.

rossmorgan
19-08-2012, 7:07pm
Good Advice.

jackdaw
02-03-2013, 7:53am
Nicely written.
I must admit I've taken many a calculated risk to get "that shot" as my portfolio attests.
A fall due to carelessness bought me back to earth (literally) 6 months ago but have found myself back at it with more care and thought taken.

OzzieTraveller
04-03-2013, 7:56am
Hi

.... and on the ABC news today is a report of a fella who has gone over the waterfalls at Ebor, nsw
He has crossed the safety fence to walk out near the fast-flowing waters "to get a better photo" and gone head first over the 30metre waterfalls

SES + other volunteers are reported looking for his body downstream from the falls

Phil

Kym
04-12-2014, 12:00pm
Rail update: http://www.artc.com.au/library/News%20-%202014-08-09.pdf

TAG
15-09-2015, 3:04pm
Very apt thread ,like many others working in high risk industries that we think of as our job you can become complacent in
your daily activities.
This also applies to our home life,we wear all the safety gear to do the most mundane tasks at work yet use a high speed rotating blades
in shorts and thongs to mow the lawn.
Keep safe and if you have doubts to start with it probably isn't safe.