PDA

View Full Version : What do you provide to clients

kaiser
26-02-2010, 4:42pm
Following on from a couple of threads I've been reading in regards to pricing, I am interested to see what on media you provide images to clients: Digital, prints or the option of both.

I can see the benefit of providing digital files to the client as it may prevent them from hassling you down the track for re prints etc. It also makes for a somewhat less complicated pricing scheme.

However I'm thinking of one potential disadvantage to not handling the prints yourself (albeit a very minor one).

In giving the client the digital images they can go re-cropping, editing, resizing the images etc perhaps degrading the quality of what you initally provided. Also the prints are printed at any lab , which may or may not have a proper colour management process in place.

So the prints that the client eventually get, still have your name associated with them, but may not be presented how you intended them to be.

So the advantage of handling the print yourself is that you have more control over the final output of the image and you are able to proof the images with your professional labs printer profiles so you have a pretty good idea of what the final product will look like.

A small issue for some, a non-issue for others. Some amy prefer saving time by providing digital files only. What are your thoughts?

ving
26-02-2010, 5:56pm
i think it is very important that the client is made to feel at home... i give them a nice big glass of steaming hot gravy. works a treat every time

(digital files, but one should find out what they require i guess)

Dylan & Marianne
26-02-2010, 6:05pm
I was tempted with gravy (reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon) - but I went wiht the truth which is both :P

jasevk
26-02-2010, 7:15pm
I recently saw a well known local tog speak about their work. This person supplies a disc upon request ONLY if they purchase an album of their wedding. Not a bad way to go IMO

etherial
26-02-2010, 7:55pm
I'm interested in peoples thoughts here too. I voted digital only as that is what I have done to date BUT...I am considering prints. I recently sent digital files to a client and they have been used in a news article in a magazine and will be used in an advertisement next month as well as on their website.

They wanted them printed as well so took them to a Kodak photo lab and the prints came out with a yellow hue and were cropped. Needless to say she wasn't happy and asked me if I have any recommendations re printing. So I'm thinking I need to get something sorted so I can cover this type of request. At least she is more than happy with the images and they printed very nicely in the magazine so that is good. But as the client said herself, she doesn't want to see my good work presented poorly due to bad printing.

Something to think about.:confused013

kaiser
26-02-2010, 8:16pm
Mic I have used Pixel Perfect (http://www,pixelperfect.com.au). Helpful tech advice and good quality / value.

Paul G
27-02-2010, 1:25am
This is a good question/topic to raise Kaiser!

I'm looking at this from the angle of weddings.
For those that give a disc of images to clients do you also include your watermark somewhere discreet in the image?
I remember my parent's studio photos from their wedding in 1969, and quite a few of their friends too, all had the studio/photographer's name visible in the corner of the framed print.

By just giving a disc you do stand to lose a lot of your control of the finished product if your client/s have their own printing/resizing etc done at a lab your reputation may suffer.

Personally I will be considering some way of tying in any prospective printing work with a local photo-lab that I have a good relationship with. But how do you go about enforcing something like this? Provide only 800 x 600 jpegs on the disk or full res images with watermarks?

jeffde
28-02-2010, 5:31pm
I provide both as i nreally think there is an onus on you to keep the files for a long time if you only provide prints and what/how that is done is changing so rapidly.

I sell prints from the studio shots but also offer low res & high res images for sale.

Many people want digital images for facebook/ website etc so i go with what the client wants...

Dan Cripps
02-03-2010, 11:23am
I can see the benefit of providing digital files to the client as it may prevent them from hassling you down the track for re prints etc.

Anyone who considers selling prints to a customer 'a hassle' is clearly in the wrong business. ;)

jasevk
02-03-2010, 11:37am
I would also assume that most photographers who sell prints to clients would be using quality ink & paper, and 're-printing' wouldn't really be a problem?

kaiser
02-03-2010, 12:05pm
Anyone who considers selling prints to a customer 'a hassle' is clearly in the wrong business. ;)

I was just trying to provide a view from both sides of the fence on what potential benefits for each case may be for some people.

I'm all for offering both options, as I enjoy and like to have more control over the printing process. But it is more work, and, for some people, they may prefer the option of digital files only - so they don't have to worry about cropping to specific sizes, collating albums etc etc.

Dan Cripps
02-03-2010, 3:51pm
I'm all for offering both options, as I enjoy and like to have more control over the printing process. But it is more work, and, for some people, they may prefer the option of digital files only - so they don't have to worry about cropping to specific sizes, collating albums etc etc.

They might also not have to worry about the long term viability of their business, I guess.

antongorlin
02-03-2010, 3:57pm
I'd prefer to sell prints only. Because in this case client gets exactly your product. He pays you for your experience, your time, your vision, so he gets all these with the prints. Moreover, you can always ask lab to re-print if you are not satisfied with their work.
digital - as an additional package.
so, basically I agree with:

I recently saw a well known local tog speak about their work. This person supplies a disc upon request ONLY if they purchase an album of their wedding.

Paul G
04-03-2010, 10:35pm
So when it comes to prints what sort of packages are people offering for what sort of dollars?

I know at a pro level most are over the $100 per hour mark for their services on the day plus a fee per hour for PP of images but obviously prints and frames would add to this again? How do you structure this - eg cost plus (x) percentage for the prints/frames? Do you have demo packs of frames to show clients?

Also for those doing prints and framed prints do you show your watermark discreetly in the image as I referred to above from older wedding shoots in decades past?

jasevk
06-03-2010, 8:55pm
For enlargements, I ordered an embosser which I'll use to stamp the bottom corner of the print, like a common seal. But ATM I'm doing cost plus 100%

kiwi
07-03-2010, 7:57pm
I do not watermark prints or digital photos

Longshots
08-03-2010, 1:20pm
I wondered if it was worth saying that the question would be different if asked about various different subjects matters (ie portrait/wedding/sport/commercial), and what you the photographer had agreed to be paid for. I would be concerned that ithout those distinctions, any "results" for the poll, could be quite misleading.

Raven
08-03-2010, 3:23pm
I've been a disk giver through my time of PBing.

After having a recent client contact me to complain after getting pictures printed at Kmart, I'm leaning to the side of prints only. They did an awful job with them so I told her to take them back. The prints I got for her via the lab I use were perfect (I was curious so sent some off to see) and she was so happy I've asked her to write a testimonial to support me if I decide to do down that way.

Having been the client a few times I think it would be nice to have the files supplied for email or FB. I think if they are reduced and saved as sRGB then it will be better for your reputation because they will probably end up scanning them or just taking a picture of them with a P&S (I have friends that have done this) and uploading something that looks washed out and flat.

campo
09-03-2010, 10:36am
On my discs that I give to clients, I provide one folder of images for printing (high res) and one for email (low res). I also throw in a few professional prints so the clients know what the images should print like.

Natsky
04-04-2010, 3:47pm
When I first went pro I struggled with giving a disk because everywhere I kept reading that this was not a "pro" thing to do. As far as I am concerned, a couple's wedding photos are theirs to have and keep and print as many copies as they want.
However, most people are unaware of just how much variation there can be in printing and even viewing on different computer screens. I always advise my clients not to skimp on printing and recommend a local lab who I know will do a great job for them. My comeback when they protest that it is a bit more expensive than Krap Mart or Hardly Normal is that they have spent a chunk of money to get pro photos of their day, don't waste it on cheap prints.
I have a shopping list where couples tick off the options they would like. Most choose a book so they get an idea of how their photos should look and for those that don't tick that option, I will print off some 5 x 7's as a reference.
Watermarks are for images on the web not my wedding pics, although I do like the sound of an embossed print. The books I make always have my details in the back, but again no watermark on the photos.
Hope I haven't prattled on too long and somebody finds this helpful.

David
10-05-2010, 7:57pm
The business card of very good photographers :D; which I am not.

Bill44
15-05-2010, 2:32pm
I'm mainly a shooter of junior sports and cost is nearly always a major consideration for parents. I supply high res CD's and one shot, my selection, printed at A4 size by me.

The purpose of throwing in a print is to demonstrate the quality that can be produced, and to eliminate any dispute over the technical quality of the shots when they get crap prints elsewhere. Many of my clients come back to me for decent prints after getting garbage from the 18 cent machines.

arthurking83
16-05-2010, 12:50am
I tend to give all my images to my clients for free, usually in digital form :p

not all clients are prepared to pay for everything! ;)

habro
11-07-2012, 1:46pm
DVD with hi- and lo-res is part of all of my wedding packages, prints start coming on at package 2 & 3. I hated handing over the digital images before I started... but I wouldn't book any jobs if I didn't conform

NikonNellie
12-07-2012, 9:50am
I am only new to the business side of things but at the moment I give the clients a DVD with both hi-res images for printing and a selection of images resized for the web with my watermark on them. I give them permission to only put the resized images on their facebook page. I get my clients to sign a contract saying that they will not reproduce, publish or modify the images in anyway without my permission. I have also included a permission clause giving me the right to publish some of their images on my webpage/blog for display purposes only.
I always advise them not to print their images at places like K-Mart or Harvey Norman and supply them with the names of some pro labs. I tell them that I will not be responsible for the quality of images taken at these kind of stores and not at a pro lab.

SO FAR SO GOOD! :)

reaction
12-07-2012, 3:47pm
I'd argue against full size jpg, since with the D800 now you'll get some 36MP files and some 12MP files. There'll be some confused clients why some pics are '1/3rd size only'!

ricktas
23-08-2012, 6:33am
I chose Gravy, cause I give my clients what they want/ask for. We discuss it all. If they want processed jpgs on disk, then that is what I give them. If they want a canvas print, I get that done as well. If they want an an album, easy!

Everyone should stop treating clients like they are all the same, and look at them as individuals with individual wants, and provide each client what they want, not what a restrictive business model says I as the photographer wants to provide. The only person losing out is the photographer if they do not listen to a prospective client and/or are not able/willing to give the client what they seek.

ktoopi
23-08-2012, 11:41am
Well said Rick, I'm not a professional ie I don't sell my pics but I agree with your comments and I would also agree with Nellies comments regarding facebook and printing at non pro labs!:)

BLWNHR
23-08-2012, 12:01pm
Gravy for me too.

Some clients get prints, some pay extra for digital versions. Commercial clients all want digital, and some I even give them the RAW files (many will be shocked at this no doubt).

ScottM
23-08-2012, 4:58pm
I've just accepted photographing an Australian juniors sports championship down here.

My proposal included prints, and also DVD of team/groups, candids, and action, for the national organisation, but me keeping ownership. I provided broad rights for re-use related to their business but being a sports organisation, 'activities directly related to their business' are somewhat restricted but suited to me too.

I also proposed that players/families/officials to be able to purchase either prints or digital from an online store.

So depends on the situation - but I chose the 'both'.

Film Street
23-08-2012, 5:46pm
I can see the benefit of providing digital files to the client as it may prevent them from hassling you down the track for re prints etc. It also makes for a somewhat less complicated pricing scheme.

However I'm thinking of one potential disadvantage to not handling the prints yourself (albeit a very minor one).

The major disadvantage would be lost income.
Having to resize and shape for different printing sizes should not be a hassle, but rather a part of your business.

As an aside (and not to hijack this thread but it is relevant here from reading some of the replies), I offer wholesale printing rates to professional photographers for this very purpose - to resell the prints
and not just hand over a C.D.
I do this locally and as my business is Australia wide is open to all professionals. I will post more info in the sponsors section.

For photographers, printing should be right up there for products offered because of the income you can make from it. Probably more than gravy.

aponzo
06-09-2012, 10:29am
I offer my clients both high and low res shots, plus I always include some prints - normally 6x9" or 11x14".
One thing I always mention is that getting them printed at BigW/KMart will always look a LOT different to these prints, and if they don't want to purchase more through me, to always use a good quality photo lab.

JM Tran
09-11-2012, 2:16pm
I offer and deliver quality:)