PDA

View Full Version : FJ Westcott 50" Softbox

DavidG
26-02-2010, 5:05pm
Ive just bought one of the 50" Recessed Front FJ Westcott JS Apollo softboxes.
I have mounted it on my lightstand with a Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter.
I am only able to tilt horizontal/up because if I attempt to tilt down the lightstand entering through the back gets in the way.

Is there any way to get this lightbox to point down?
Even with the umbrella shaft pushed the whole way in the softbox only achieves a very small downwards tilt.

I have posed this question to the manufacture but I thought someone here may have experience with them.

Thanks,

Zac
16-05-2010, 10:15am
You can get a little downwards tilt by sliding the Apollo shaft further. Westcott make a little thingi that helps alot : *Link removed : Members with under 50 posts AND 30 days membership are not allowed to post commercial link : Admin * It moves the tilt point near the bottom of the softbox so you get a much wider range of tilt angles. It also positions the flash head right at the centre of the softbox.

Even better the Apollos and accessories are now available in Australia *Comment removed, again promoting a commercial site - Admin * :D

Zac
16-05-2010, 10:46am
Oops, didn't realise the rules here were so strict!

The thingi I was talking about is called an L-Mounting Bracket, Westcott part # 8519

ricktas
16-05-2010, 10:47am
Oops, didn't realise the rules here were so strict!

The thingi I was talking about is called an L-Mounting Bracket, Westcott part # 8519

Have a read of them, we stick to them!

gaidin
17-05-2010, 12:41pm
Yep, rules here are very very strict!

As far as the softbox goes David, are you saying that you cant tilt it down as far as you want to because the light stand goes through the softbox at the bottom set of "cross zippers"? If so, I get around this by tilting the softbox right over and running the lightstand through the front of the diffuser panel. I know it lets a bit of light leak out around it but with a bit of fiddling you can get the velcro to seal up ok :)