PDA

View Full Version : Epson & Canon Printers Identical Inside?

clm738
25-02-2010, 9:06pm
Bought myself an Epson TX710W multifunction photo printer today. The man in the shop told me that all major brand printers are made by the same company when I asked if there was any difference between Canon and Epson. Is this true? I don't think so but he was adamant.
The reason I got a multifunction is because I don't have a printer or a copier or a scanner and it was cheaper to get them all in one. Will write a review when I have used it a bit.

Big Pix
25-02-2010, 9:10pm
The man in the shop told me that all major brand printers are made by the same company when I asked if there was any difference between Canon and Epson. Is this true? I don't think so but he was adamant.

....... you could always ring Epson or Canon and ask the same question:D

ricktas
25-02-2010, 9:11pm
You could also open them all up in the store and see if they are all the same inside. Seriously, this sounds like another salesman who has no idea about his products.

DAdeGroot
25-02-2010, 9:32pm
You could also open them all up in the store and see if they are all the same inside. Seriously, this sounds like another salesman who has no idea about his products.

+1

;-)

I seriously doubt the design and circuitry is the same inside two competing makes. Sure, they may outsource the construction of the circuit boards to the same company, maybe, but even that's fairly unlikely given Canon's penchant to do everything themselves (including making their own CMOS sensors).

clm738
25-02-2010, 9:53pm
Thanks Guys. I agree with everything you have said. The salesman was so sure he was right it wasn't worth perusing the subject with him. He didn't know much about either printer. I had to tell him how many inks they held!

oldfart
26-02-2010, 7:13am
Clearly a salesman who wouldn't know his a#@# from his elbow.

Not all Canon Printers are even manufactured in the same country, forget being made by same manufacturer as Epson and HP.

yarnella
26-02-2010, 9:20am
Clearly a salesman who wouldn't know his a#@# from his elbow.

Not all Canon Printers are even manufactured in the same country, forget being made by same manufacturer as Epson and HP.

You are dead right, OF.

Having owned two Epson printers and now a Canon, I can tell you that they are so different that it's nor funny. And the Canon is far superior.

My wife has a multifunction HP and it is very different again.

Bottom line - don't believe everything salesmen tell you.

gcflora
26-02-2010, 9:57am
Bottom line - don't believe everything salesmen tell you.

I'd like to amend that to don't believe anything salesmen tell you :D

RuthJ
26-02-2010, 10:00am
Along the tall tales line, I was told about a year ago (most vehemently...these people really believed what they were saying) that as Sigma is owned by Canon, so all Sigma lenses are really made by Canon. Not salespeople, this was the 'pro' photographer team at a friend's wedding.

dsaini
25-03-2010, 3:58pm
Think it this way, he could have been talking on the parts level. Both Canon and Epson buying resistors/capacitors/wires/diodes/etc from same manufacturer :P

Fun aside, Never believe what a salesman says.

Bear Dale
25-03-2010, 4:04pm
Sounds like someone talking out their you know what to me.

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:09pm
definitely don't listen to that salesman.

peterb666
24-05-2010, 11:43pm
All printers are the same, like yeah, they take a print cartridge.

:lol:

I think the salesman has been smoking too many fax rolls out the back.

arubaato
27-05-2010, 8:55am
I was once told by a salesperson at a major camera retailer that Nikons are used for shooting people and Canon were used to shoot landscape, Sony was the product photography brand, but he admitted he had no idea about macro

Tannin
27-05-2010, 9:24am
For many, many years (a couple of decades, roughly) Hewlett Packard laser printers had print engines designed and manufactured by Canon.With any of these older HP models, you can buy HP toner (expensive) or Canon toner (exactly the same, made by the same company in the same factory to the same specifications, but around 30% cheaper). The reverse was true too, of course - HP badged toner would have worked in a Canon laser printer, not that anyone would want to do that. But that was in the grand old days of the old Hewlett Packard, when they were a quality company buying in high quality parts. HP these days are bottom feeders so I doubt that they buy much in the way of parts form quality makers like Canon and Epson. I haven't checked though.

Anyway, that little accident of history aside, the best explanation for your sales droid's idiotic statement is indeed that he has been smoking fax rolls. And probably shoving them up somewhere we won't mention too.

yarnella
27-05-2010, 4:42pm
I was once told by a salesperson at a major camera retailer that Nikons are used for shooting people and Canon were used to shoot landscape, Sony was the product photography brand, but he admitted he had no idea about macro

And I would say that he had no idea about anything.
Definitely an NFI - No F***ing Idea.

Closedeye
03-06-2010, 11:11am
Used to work at HP in the Consumer Print area.. i can tell you now that they are not all the same inside.. There are a bunch of different technologys that goes into each of them trying to compete for a slice of the market.

For instance the 88 Print heads are fantasticly fast.
And the number 11 print heads are great at printing photo's as they use a 7 colours with an ink pump system.

Altho they are now all Cheap POS' that are throw away items. HP loses money on most of the printers they sell. But they make it up fully +alot more when you buy the ink. u will also notice that the cartidges they supply with the printer will have enough just to prime the tanks and then run out. about 5ml (from memory) or so of ink. forcing you to buy ink almost right away

Ink is now HP's bread and butter and accounts for about 60% of the profit.

I remember having to send out 750ml ink pouches that would retail for about 1.5K