PDA

View Full Version : NTP Challenge : Genre : Landscapes

ricktas
25-02-2010, 8:24pm
To get our New to Photography members thinking about photographic genres and improving their photographic skills, we have decided to present a few genre based challenges to get you out photographing and thinking about what settings you should use. Also you get to show us your results and get some encouraging feedback

So here is a link to some tips on Landscape photography: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=16409

Now we want you to put what you have learned in the New To Photography forum to use, and present a landscape photo here. This is not a competition and expect to get advice and feedback on your photos.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to show us.

MYQ73
07-03-2010, 12:46am
Ok, Ill have a go at this and throw a few up to get things started ...
1)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4410449166_508dd33d15.jpg

2)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4411011816_40886e80e6.jpg

3)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4411038660_a5ced5e6fb.jpg

ricktas
07-03-2010, 7:31am
Hi,

First off, post larger photos. Your photos uploaded to AP can be up to 1024 pixels on the longest side. It is much easier to view a photo that is 800/900/1000 pixels on the longest side, than 500 pixel ones.

All three photos look good, well composed and exposed. The first one could have benefited from a polarising filter to give the sky blue a nice rich darker blue that made those wonderful clouds stand out more. The second one, that bit of tree on the right, I would have liked to not see it at all, or see more of it, to frame the shot, at present its just a few leaves intruding the right of the scene. The third is a very nice stream shot, that is composed very well, just watch the over-exposure of running water. The best time to photograph water to get the silky effect is on a very overcast day, or early morning, late evening.

Overall some very good photos here, with nice light, compositions and exposures, they look sharp (hard to tell at the size presented) and the colours look great. All are interesting photos that capture our attention. But please, place larger photos on AP, as they are easier to see and critique.

davros
14-03-2010, 9:22am
This was meant to be more of a wildlife photo, but the ducks were a bit too far away for the framing that I wanted, so it turned out more landscape. I think.

ricktas
15-03-2010, 6:56pm
Very nice there Davros, overall a pleasing landscape shot. The one thing that detracts for me is the twigs in the foreground on the left. They are blurry due to the aperture used and depth of field, but they dominate that corner of the scene. When taking landscapes, compose your shot, then take a moment to look around the viewfinder and see if there is anything there that you do not want, move, recompose and check again. Good photographers will scan their viewfinder just before pressing the shutter to look for things like the twigs, or power poles sticking out of the top of people's heads etc.

davros
16-03-2010, 11:31am
Very nice there Davros, overall a pleasing landscape shot. The one thing that detracts for me is the twigs in the foreground on the left. They are blurry due to the aperture used and depth of field, but they dominate that corner of the scene. When taking landscapes, compose your shot, then take a moment to look around the viewfinder and see if there is anything there that you do not want, move, recompose and check again. Good photographers will scan their viewfinder just before pressing the shutter to look for things like the twigs, or power poles sticking out of the top of people's heads etc.

Thanks for that. My original intent was to make the duck the subject of the picture, but I couldn't resist the reflections on the pond. The worst part was the blue building in the back ground -- turned brown in post. I have another shot with the foreground in focus, but there are people walking in the background which where a bit distracting.

krissi835
27-03-2010, 8:07pm
This scene looked so much better 3 nights ago when I saw it on my way to a meeting I was late for, however I thought I would go back and see what I find. Its very busy!

krissi835
28-03-2010, 3:04pm
for some reason the pic didn't load????

krissi835
28-03-2010, 3:41pm
I was in the Grampians today and took a stroll to the Silverband Falls. It must be good drinking water because many of the other tourists were drinking straight from them.

dieselpower
28-03-2010, 8:19pm
Good idea Rick. Is the idea to go out and take a shot now or could I put one that I've already taken up?

Craggles
28-03-2010, 9:25pm
The water shots look a bit soft, what lens were you using?

Would be good to use a slower shutter speed if possible and get a bit of movement to the water.

krissi835
29-03-2010, 10:18am
Would have used slower shutter, however i didn't take the tripod and I have no idea why. I was in a bit of a hurry as always.

robma47
29-03-2010, 4:19pm
Still trying

ricktas
29-03-2010, 7:57pm
Good idea Rick. Is the idea to go out and take a shot now or could I put one that I've already taken up?

Up to you, as long as you are new to photography. This thread it to help with advice. General critiquing photos are to be placed in the members photo forums.

ricktas
29-03-2010, 8:03pm
krissi835, waterfall shots should be done on overcast days, either early in the day or into the evening, and in most cases a neutral density filter as well. A tripod is a must for slow shutter speed shots at any time (not just waterfalls). The last one is the best, but composition is also the key, you will find if you had a tripod, took them in low light, with an ND filter and composed the shots so we could see where the water pools at the bottom as well, your results would be much better. A polariser filter can substitute for an ND one as well.

ricktas
29-03-2010, 8:07pm
robma47, two very nice scenes. The waterfall shot has a lot going for it, I think if we could see the bottom with the water pooling and possibly flowing off down the river, it would compositionally improve the photo. The second photo looks good, but the crooked horizon detracts. When you are about to take your shot, check the scene, look at your horizon level, look for things you see through the viewfinder that don't really work. Take the buildings down the right side, if you hold your hand up to the screen and block those out, it simplifies your photo, so composing it with a view slightly further to the left, it would have most likely given you a better, less cluttered scene that would work better.

RLeadbetter
29-03-2010, 9:55pm
Ok here is my attempt.

Shot 1
http://www.betterleadsolutions.com.au/Personal/23-03-2010/IMG_0366.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Focal Length: 30.0mm
Aperture: f/4.5
Exposure Time: 0.600 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto

Shot 2
http://www.betterleadsolutions.com.au/Personal/23-03-2010/IMG_0341.jpg

Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Focal Length: 21.0mm
Exposure Time: 6.000 s
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual

Shot 3
http://www.betterleadsolutions.com.au/Personal/23-03-2010/IMG_0372.jpg
Focal Length: 30.0mm
Exposure Time: 5.000 s

Paul G
30-03-2010, 1:05am
I think I'm still new enough to photography (with DSLR) to post here.

This is one of my more pleasing landscapes. An 8 shot pano which I have played with to varying degrees in Photoshop. I'm still looking for just the right treatment before I decide to get this printed and framed.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd109/stampy4x4/4WD%20Trips/Sundown%20National%20Park/January%2023%20-%2026%202010/0fe1d595.jpg

dieselpower
30-03-2010, 8:01am
Hey Paul, this one looks a bit gloomy to me. The one on 4ROCs looks a bit washed out as a comparison. I like the blue in the sky on this one, but I think the darkness in that cloud makes it overall look quite dark - although maybe that's the point? I wasn't actually there for this photo as I was busy trying to start the fire back at camp so maybe it did actually look more like this?

krissi835
30-03-2010, 10:13am
The water actually doesn't pool at the bottom. I have no idea where it goes. I think it must drain straight down into an underground cavern. It was an overcast day it was actually raining lightly. Next time I will definitely take my tripod and I think I will invest in a ND filter. Thanks for the input. It really helps.

davros
30-03-2010, 10:15am
Really like that photo Paul. The contrast between the dark, evil looking, sky and grass of the rolling hills. My only problem is that the dark cloud that I like so much is a bit over powering. My eye keep pulling to it when I'm looking at the lines of the winding road.

robma47
01-04-2010, 3:05pm
Still struggling with resize photos, 2nd pic. trying out 12-24mm lens

Thanks Robert

Jacs14
09-05-2010, 9:46pm
Firstly can I say ... I have learnt so much in the last couple of months since joining AP, by attending a couple of meet ups, then when I was trying for about 12 months to do it on my own and just kept reverting to Auto on my camera!! Think I should have checked out this forum better tho!!! but I will now start working my way through the 'Learning Center.'
So here I go!! I do like #1, and feel it is an improvement (of what I have taken in the past)because of what I'm trying to take in and put together!!! but think the stick in the middle is a bit distracting and my pp skills aren't up to cloning it out!!!! #2 thought Sepia may be more in keeping but feel its a bit too yellow!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4581268546_acaacd8ae8_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4590787611_70096c0691_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4581268546_acaacd8ae8_b.jpg

Jacs14
09-05-2010, 9:48pm
Oops! sorry somehow #1 got put up twice!!!!

Chilli
11-05-2010, 10:56am
Hi Jacs14,
I really love your images.
No. 1 the best, its smooth in feeling, I like the water running effect.
the composition too. (Im a newbie as well) but thats my 2 cents worth. Looking forward to
hearing what the more knowledgable have to say. :action003:

Jacs14
12-05-2010, 4:03pm
Hi Jacs14,
I really love your images.
No. 1 the best, its smooth in feeling, I like the water running effect.
the composition too. (Im a newbie as well) but thats my 2 cents worth. Looking forward to
hearing what the more knowledgable have to say. :action003:

Thanks Chilli ... I am pleased with these, but wonder if they will fall into the catergory of - in 12months or so, when hopefully I know and understand more, i will look again and think 'EEWWWW!!!! you got that wrong, and that stick .... arrggghhh!!!!' :lol2:

Jacs

AdamR
16-05-2010, 10:43am
To Goodallphotography, I think youve done a great job at achieving an outcome, assumedly you wanted to show the dark and looming cloud formation coming over, I like it. To give it a little more tonal varience I would try put lightening the foreground with a graduated exposure change of about 0.4 of an exposure. To me that would add the all the difference it needs to be a fantastic print.
my 2c