PDA

View Full Version : Yashica 124G or Kiev 88

jdreamer
25-02-2010, 7:36pm
Recently, I'm interested in films and after doing some research.. I've came across these 2 models and I really think that they're quite close to my budget range around AUD300+.. But I am not quite sure about the difference between these 2 models, the pros and cons. Anyone can give me some opinions? Or probably another model close to that range?

Thanks.

Gregg Bell
25-02-2010, 7:52pm
Kiev88 are known for falling apart, and going faulty, however it is a copy of the hasselblad 500 c/m. It's a very good camera, just that your mileage may vary... and not very much mileage may likely be the case.

jdreamer
25-02-2010, 8:03pm
So, you're saying that it's mainly depends on my luck to get a good copy? What about Yashica 124? Any model else? :D

coolie21
25-02-2010, 8:21pm
I have the 124G and its built like a tank :) A very well regarded camera

DAdeGroot
25-02-2010, 8:38pm
The Yashica is a very nice camera indeed, well built and solid.
The Kiev, is a bit hit and miss (like many Russian built cameras). Some are fantastic and will just keep on working, but some are best left alone.

I have a Zenit-E (35mm Russian slr), it's extremely solid, simple and still works despite being over 30 years old.

jdreamer
26-02-2010, 11:40am
Do you guys know where can I get a reliable Yashica from? eBay is the only place that I source second hand items from.

DAdeGroot
26-02-2010, 11:47am
Do you guys know where can I get a reliable Yashica from? eBay is the only place that I source second hand items from.

Kayell sometimes have them in their second hand goods, as does Teds.

Other places might include a local camera fair ? (Brisbane has one every May, lots of old film kit for sale at fairly cheap prices).

fillum
26-02-2010, 12:33pm
You could try KEH (http://www.keh.com/) in the US.

Cheers.

landteacher
26-02-2010, 1:26pm
Had a Yashica way back when J.C. was playing fullback for Jerusalem, best God dam camera I have had. Probably why I am still mad keen on photography to this day.(Battery leaked and killed it.) Highly recommended.

Mick.G

jdreamer
26-02-2010, 7:20pm
Damn, couldn't find a cheap Yashica anymore. Anymore other alternative except 124? :D

Gregg Bell
26-02-2010, 7:32pm
So, you're saying that it's mainly depends on my luck to get a good copy? What about Yashica 124? Any model else? :D

pretty much, your safer getting a hasselblad 500 c/m then a kiev88. These days its more miss then hit. The amount you'd pay to get a good copy, will probably be the same amount as buying a very good hassy.

I don't know about the Yashica though. I was personally looking at getting a kiev88, and then was put off, by the amount of negative repsponses people got from the kiev88, stuff like it worked for 3 months, and then a certain part that can no longer be obtained broke, and stuff.

smallfooties
24-06-2010, 5:26pm
i've got the yashica 124G and i really love it... it's solid and produces good pictures... it's also easy to use ( i find anyway). I got mine off rangefinderforum.com at $200. It's got red leather cos the guy who sold me it changed the leather making it quite a head turner and good conversation starter at the camera shops.
The only thing i can find faulty with mine is that sometimes it misses a shot... so out of 12 shots, i probably only get 9 or so... But i'm not fuss with it as the quality of the successful ones are pretty good.
I think the only thing with a TLR is that you can't change the lens... not sure about the kiev as i have never seen one before. I was told that getting a TLR is a pretty good and economical way to getting into medium format compared to the hasselblads which costs more than 1k.
I'm thinking of getting a hasselblad though..... perhaps if you have more money to spend or are willing to save up, get a hasselblad... i've only ever heard good reviews for them...
Just my 2c worth of perhaps mindless ramblings that don't make much sense....