PDA

View Full Version : Lens information

rodeo550
25-02-2010, 3:26pm
Hello all,

I would like some information. I am thinking of purchasing a Sigma APO 100-300mm F4, EX,
DG HSM lens. I have looked at reviews & I think the positives out way the negatives, but in saying that I would like your input before I lay out the money.

I was also thinking of getting either a 1.4 or 2 x extender for the lens if I get it (that will really blow the budget). I would also like input in regards to these extenders as well. I have a Canon 450D, & understand that Canon make these lenses as well, but like most things, it's additional cost of the brand name lenses.

I @ M
25-02-2010, 9:11pm
Rodeo, we own the Sigma, it is the earlier version and it works very well on an APSC body with or without a 1.4x extender. That is the good part.

The negatives.
It is heavy, as a 100-300 it weighs more than the Canon 100-400 so adding the extender only adds more weight to get it to the same focal length as the Canon is bare.
If you want to use a filter on it you are in for more dollars, the 82 mm filters are expensive.
It doesn't have image stabilisation, the Canon does.
The Sigma is about $400.00 less than the Canon (going by a quick look at a popular grey importer's site) but if I were you I would save the extra and spend on the Canon, after all it is a really really good lens. Have a look around the bird forum and see some of the images taken with it by new and older members here who are putting it to very good use.

As a footnote, we bought it for 2 reasons, it came our way reasonably cheaply :) and Nikon do not make a lens with the same features as the Sigma full stop. :(

rodeo550
27-02-2010, 8:17am
Thank you Andrew, this is what I am after, the additional input. If you don't mond me asking what importer sight didi you look at. I have looked at DWI & DDF here in Aus. I am unsure in regards to the O/S sites, which are cheaper.

Regards
rodeo550

I @ M
27-02-2010, 9:09am
I did a quick price comparison through the DWI site just to see how they compared.
If I was looking to buy either lens for myself as a brand new item I would be looking at the Ausphotography site sponsors (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13499) and trying to negotiate a deal through them. :)

rwg717
07-03-2010, 4:19pm
Rodeo, we own the Sigma, it is the earlier version and it works very well on an APSC body with or without a 1.4x extender. That is the good part.

The negatives.
It is heavy, as a 100-300 it weighs more than the Canon 100-400 so adding the extender only adds more weight to get it to the same focal length as the Canon is bare.
If you want to use a filter on it you are in for more dollars, the 82 mm filters are expensive.
It doesn't have image stabilisation, the Canon does.
The Sigma is about $400.00 less than the Canon (going by a quick look at a popular grey importer's site) but if I were you I would save the extra and spend on the Canon, after all it is a really really good lens. Have a look around the bird forum and see some of the images taken with it by new and older members here who are putting it to very good use.

As a footnote, we bought it for 2 reasons, it came our way reasonably cheaply :) and Nikon do not make a lens with the same features as the Sigma full stop. :(

Tend to agree with the above, think you would find the IS of the Canon is reason enough to stick out for the Canon. I have not had any experience with the Sigma in that series although I do have a couple of the smaller ones, about even in image quality but the 100-400 is heavy enough without adding extra weight.:efelant:
Richard

rodeo550
20-04-2010, 9:51pm
Thank you all for your input, I am still weighging up my options, but I have had a look at the canon 100-400, that afellow worker has on his 400d. I am leaning towards this instead of the sigma.

Regards

Rodeo550