PDA

View Full Version : Canon EF 100 f2.8 IS Macro

rwg717
23-02-2010, 10:17pm
I did a search of AP for a reference to the Canon EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro lens, found a few posts on it but no one actually appeared to have one or had used it. Lots of recommendations to buy this glass but no CC on it?
I acquired one today, haven't had a chance to use it yet but first impressions are that it looks "terribly cheap"....does have the "L" on it so might post a few of my impressions later when I have some results, hoping to retract my comments about it then!;)
Richard

David
24-02-2010, 9:06am
I did a search of AP for a reference to the Canon EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro lens, found a few posts on it but no one actually appeared to have one or had used it. Lots of recommendations to buy this glass but no CC on it?
I acquired one today, haven't had a chance to use it yet but first impressions are that it looks "terribly cheap"....does have the "L" on it so might post a few of my impressions later when I have some results, hoping to retract my comments about it then!;)
Richard

Hey Richard: I know Odille is looking to get her hands on this particular lens in the near future so she will be very interested in your impressions of the lens.

PerfectPicture
24-02-2010, 9:50am
Richard

Hi Richard, Was also looking at this lens as well. and a review from yourself about it would be great for all of us to enjoy! :) Look forward to it! :D

p.s. a bit concerning that it looks "Terribly Cheap" for a CANON and for a "L" Series Lens as well :eek:

Analog6
24-02-2010, 10:00am
Yes, will be interested to read your report and see images.

Cris
24-02-2010, 11:17am
Hi
I brought one a few months ago and have been using it quite a lot. Yes it does seem a little light ( I wouldn't go as far as to say cheap), especially when compared to other L lens which generally have metal bodies. However I am no expert on macro and have been going through a learning curve with it, having said that it is the sharpest lens in my kit, almost unbelievably sharp, at the 100mm focal length I have 3 lenses, I will reach for it without a second thought. Makes for a great portrait lens and was just fantastic at aus zoo. Focus is quick and accurate and has enabled me to get images that I would have otherwise missed. I very quickly realised even with IS and f2.8 a ring light was required, so that was more money spent. Hope this very basic review helps, any questions please ask, but as I said my experience is limited and I don't bother doing some of the in-depth testing that lots of people seem to do. As far as I'm concerned its great and absolutely rocks. :)
Cheers

Pine
24-02-2010, 1:15pm
I think the older 100 mm lens without IS is actually the better buy. Its halve the price than the IS with the same opticts.

soulman
24-02-2010, 3:58pm
I've had one for a few months now also. I haven't used it as much as would like, but am more than happy with the results so far. Macro photography is a new thing for me, so, like Cris, I am learning how to make best use of it. In terms of sharpness I have no complaints at all and I don't find the build quality an issue - sure it's plastic but it's still well built from what I can see.

The older 100mm macro is considerably better value for money, but I don't think it shares the same optics as the new one - 12 elements in 8 groups compares to 15 in 12 groups on the L series.

rwg717
24-02-2010, 8:30pm
Hi
I brought one a few months ago and have been using it quite a lot. Yes it does seem a little light ( I wouldn't go as far as to say cheap), especially when compared to other L lens which generally have metal bodies. However I am no expert on macro and have been going through a learning curve with it, having said that it is the sharpest lens in my kit, almost unbelievably sharp, at the 100mm focal length I have 3 lenses, I will reach for it without a second thought. Makes for a great portrait lens and was just fantastic at aus zoo. Focus is quick and accurate and has enabled me to get images that I would have otherwise missed. I very quickly realised even with IS and f2.8 a ring light was required, so that was more money spent. Hope this very basic review helps, any questions please ask, but as I said my experience is limited and I don't bother doing some of the in-depth testing that lots of people seem to do. As far as I'm concerned its great and absolutely rocks. :)
Cheers

Thanks Cris, this was what I was looking for, probably not the right person to be test-driving this glass because almost all of my lenses are medium to long telephoto and I haven't had much experience with macro either...but anyway I will give it a shot, post some images and you can all be the judges!:D
Thankyou all for the posts:party6:
Richard

rwg717
07-03-2010, 10:15pm
Yes, will be interested to read your report and see images.

Apologies for not posting an opinion earlier on this lens, got a bit tied up with other things, the glass has only been out of its bag once since I took posession of it!:(
Promise to get some work done on it this week:D
Richard

para
07-03-2010, 10:25pm
A friend of mine bought one pretty much as soon as it came out, I am no macro,but borrowed it for a weekend was pretty happy with the result.
My original post here

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=43516

B D H
08-03-2010, 2:57pm
For those interested:
there's a fairly good reveiw here: http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2009/10/06/podcast-211-canon-ef-100mm-f2-8-l-macro-is-usm-lens-review/comment-page-1/#comment-600

rwg717
08-03-2010, 10:10pm
For those interested:
there's a fairly good reveiw here: http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2009/10/06/podcast-211-canon-ef-100mm-f2-8-l-macro-is-usm-lens-review/comment-page-1/#comment-600

Yes, the above blog is a good one, would recommend it to all potential buyers....some of the crops he has done are quite striking....good call BDH:efelant:
Richard

sufran
10-03-2010, 10:38pm
I would be interested in seeing some photos from this lens when it has been used as a portrait (rathr than a macro) lens, if someone has the time to post? Thanks

rwg717
10-03-2010, 11:11pm
I would be interested in seeing some photos from this lens when it has been used as a portrait (rathr than a macro) lens, if someone has the time to post? Thanks

Will see what I can do for you, more into portrait than macro so leave it with me:)
Richard

rwg717
11-03-2010, 9:58pm
I managed to get 3 portrait shots with the EF 100 f2.8 L IS mounted on a 7D and tripod.
Shot #1 was taken with a strip of artificial CTO inside the flash diffuser, a bit much heat really, the other two were with the straight flash aimed around the room.
They were all taken as landscape shots and have been cropped to portraits, might give some idea as to how it performs as a portrait lens.
Richard

Analog6
12-03-2010, 7:38am
Nice detail, and the eye detail in the second one is very good. And they seem sharp enough, which does not seem to be a problem with this lens.

wildphotos4u
12-03-2010, 8:44am
Yes this is the lens I was given for Christmas. I'm a lucky girl :D
This is my first macro (although been photographing for over 20yrs, OMG, I must be old)
I LOVE this lens. Ultra sharp, great focus and good handholding ability with the IS, -if you can do with losing a bit of dof. Like Cris, I'm not the best the ask, with my lack of macro experience, but it's a great lens to learn on.... :lol: I've put a few in the macro thread in the last couple of weeks and will take some portrait too. Here's a different effect using 2.8 .... at 1/5000 sec, 100ISO... hope it's ok for me to post a photo in this thread. I'll add a couple more to macro thread. Cheers..... Sandy

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4400506561_6cc6438d52_b.jpg

rwg717
12-03-2010, 10:08pm
Yes, I was pleased with the results with this lens, given that it was mounted on a tripod one would expect pretty fair results...but I checked after the shoot and the IS was still "ON" which wouldn't have helped but still the detail is good+.
These 3 portraits were never meant to have much "artistic merit" and my two sons were both reluctant subjects but at least I got done what I wanted to show and that was the detail. In frame one with the deep orange (CTO) tint, you can clearly see Benny's blood-shot eye, he hasn't been all that well and it shows!!!
Overall I would have to give the EF 100mm f2.8 IS near maximum points, not having much experience with macros probably doesn't give me much of a platform to speak from and as I said at the opening of the thread it looked a cheap piece of goods, something you might pass by if you saw it in a pawn shop if you didn't recognise it for what it can do? Think I might end up publishing a retraction:o
Richard

rwg717
12-03-2010, 10:13pm
Yes this is the lens I was given for Christmas. I'm a lucky girl :D
This is my first macro (although been photographing for over 20yrs, OMG, I must be old)
I LOVE this lens. Ultra sharp, great focus and good handholding ability with the IS, -if you can do with losing a bit of dof. Like Cris, I'm not the best the ask, with my lack of macro experience, but it's a great lens to learn on.... :lol: I've put a few in the macro thread in the last couple of weeks and will take some portrait too. Here's a different effect using 2.8 .... at 1/5000 sec, 100ISO... hope it's ok for me to post a photo in this thread. I'll add a couple more to macro thread. Cheers..... Sandy

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4400506561_6cc6438d52_b.jpg

Thanks for the post, a neat shot at these settings, I must try these for myself when I get more time. By the way, if that is you in your avatar I am "totally gobsmacked" that someone would have started a photography career at the age of 3 ?:cool:
Richard

wildphotos4u
12-03-2010, 10:45pm
;) Yes my sweet, tis' me, taken last year actually. I'm a verrrry young 42. :)
so you see, I was a little older than 3.
I'm a little shy at first, but when I get to know you all better, I may add a clearer photo to members mug shots.... :cool:

Hey look forward to seeing some shots from your macro.

sufran
13-03-2010, 12:28am
Hi thanks all. The reviews I have read on this lens have all be good. However, I only take the occasional macro for fun (extension tubes) and so I could only justify buying this lens if it was useful for more general photography. Richard, I really liked the second photo of your son - though the detail in all is great. Sandy, those reeds are lovely, particularly the colour and definition of the foreground seed-heads. This lens is on my next to buy list. Thanks for taking the time to pose the images and info.

rwg717
13-03-2010, 11:14pm
Don't think you would be dissapointed with the EF 100L IS Macro, I have seen posts by other members on AP which were shot with a macro lens which had almost nothing to do with macro-photography. These people had been out searching for macro subjects when something un-expected happened.....got a camera in your hands....might as well frame something interesting.
As I pointed out early in the thread, I had never had anything to do with dedicated macro lenses until now and am amazed by the versatility of it. In the past all my experience has been with a Canon EF 24-70L connected via a 1.4X Canon tube, does a fair job too and you can get in as close as about 250mm to the subject, but this set-up isn't a patch on the EF 100 IS.
Bit expensive, think Camera House had them at about $1300 last time I looked, not sure about that but if you have the brass to spare, probably a worthwhile buy?:)
Richard