PDA

View Full Version : Best place to purchase Blackrapid R-Strap

nick351
23-02-2010, 9:51pm
Just after any members thoughts on the best place to purchase one from, from searching the net I don't think they are available in Australia.

Thanks in advance

Lani
23-02-2010, 9:58pm
I got mine from the Black Rapid website....not available in Aus....Cameras Direct had some of the earlier models but not the more recent ones now to my kowledge. Transaction was fine.

Scotty72
23-02-2010, 10:12pm
Website

you know it's a genuine and only takes 3 or 4 days

Scotty

clee_81
23-02-2010, 11:00pm
I got mine via their web site too

AmPhot
24-02-2010, 8:01pm
Also got mine from their website. Very quick delivery, was on my front door within 7 days. Love it. :)

nick351
24-02-2010, 10:35pm
Thanks everyone, will be purchasing from the site!

etherial
25-02-2010, 10:17pm
I know I'm a bit late here, but yes I also bought mine from their website. Very timely postage, and I love it, will never go back to a normal neck strap.

qcsa
20-06-2010, 10:04pm
Hi Guys

We are pleased to announce that we are now an Authorized stockist of the Black Rapid Straps and Accessories

We have the full range available here

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/black-rapid-c-311.html

Cheers

Stu

mikew09
20-06-2010, 10:53pm
Hi Stu,

I am also looking at purchasing one of these but need some help with which model.

1. The RS-5 has the pockets etc and shows an iphone in one of the pockets - does anyone know if it is a snug fit as my iphone has a protective cover,

2. Is the RS-7 anymore confordable than the RS-5 as it looks like the strap is a different shape, and

3. Is it worth while getting the R3 fastener as opposed to R2 that comes with the RS-5, I will be buying an additional fastener also ?

Any real experience on these questions - thanks.

Mike

Watchamacallit
20-06-2010, 11:23pm
Hi Mike,

While I'm not Stu I may be able to provide my feedback after trying out the RS5 and RS7 in a store here in NSW (I'll get the OK from Ricktas first before stating who they are, since Stu is a lovely supporter of AP :)).

1) I didn't try putting an iphone in the pockets, but after looking through the zips and pouches there is a fair bit of room available on this strap. The strap is significantly fatter than the RS7 (this may be a factor) and is straight, instead of curved like the RS7 (yet another comfort factor). However, a nice pro is the pocket strap is magnetically tied down, so no velcro ripping noises.

2) More a comfort thing as well here, would be hard to explain. I personally found the RS7 seems to sit better on my shoulders, than the RS5.

3) Difference between the FastenR-2 and FastenR-3 is more the footprint of the attachment, so that would be a personal difference too. The 3 is a D-ring, only take up the exact size of it's base footprint with no overhang and probably even more important if shooting portrait (due to the ring on the R2 slopping down).

Side note, I also have 2 Joey-2 at the moment on my RS7, fits an iphone pretty snug too. My reason for the choice was my needs at the moment are more lightweight/adaptable for the varying situation. I'm almost even rempted to remove the velcro on these and put in my own magnetic locking of my own for the silence (which can be a huge boon that the RS5 has over the RS7 right now.

I'm sure Stu could provide even more feedback for you :)

mikew09
21-06-2010, 7:13am
Hi Mike,

While I'm not Stu I may be able to provide my feedback after trying out the RS5 and RS7 in a store here in NSW (I'll get the OK from Ricktas first before stating who they are, since Stu is a lovely supporter of AP :)).

1) I didn't try putting an iphone in the pockets, but after looking through the zips and pouches there is a fair bit of room available on this strap. The strap is significantly fatter than the RS7 (this may be a factor) and is straight, instead of curved like the RS7 (yet another comfort factor). However, a nice pro is the pocket strap is magnetically tied down, so no velcro ripping noises.

2) More a comfort thing as well here, would be hard to explain. I personally found the RS7 seems to sit better on my shoulders, than the RS5.

3) Difference between the FastenR-2 and FastenR-3 is more the footprint of the attachment, so that would be a personal difference too. The 3 is a D-ring, only take up the exact size of it's base footprint with no overhang and probably even more important if shooting portrait (due to the ring on the R2 slopping down).

Side note, I also have 2 Joey-2 at the moment on my RS7, fits an iphone pretty snug too. My reason for the choice was my needs at the moment are more lightweight/adaptable for the varying situation. I'm almost even rempted to remove the velcro on these and put in my own magnetic locking of my own for the silence (which can be a huge boon that the RS5 has over the RS7 right now.

I'm sure Stu could provide even more feedback for you :)

Thanks for the comments - still deliberating over what to get. Grrrrrrrrrrr

mikew09
21-06-2010, 7:16am
Another Question, has anyone used the R-strap with the 40D / 50D battery grip, I read on one review that the screw connector does not screw all the way in on the battery grip mount - reluctant to think this is correct but would like to hear anyones experience with a gripped mount and the strap.

MarkChap
21-06-2010, 7:52am
Have a mate heading to the USA very shortly, have organised for him to pick up an RS-7 for me.

ricktas
21-06-2010, 8:37am

members with under 50 posts and 30 days membership are not allowed to promote commercial sites, anywhere on Ausphotography.

campo
21-06-2010, 8:43am
I've just noticed that BlackRapid now have 3 official "distributors" in Australia, do to their website, click on Dealers and then Australia.

I bought my R straps before there were any Australian stores stocking them so I'm not sure on pricing etc

MarkChap
21-06-2010, 9:00am
I've just noticed that BlackRapid now have 3 official "distributors" in Australia, do to their website, click on Dealers and then Australia.

I bought my R straps before there were any Australian stores stocking them so I'm not sure on pricing etc

Of those 3, Photo Continental DO NOT stock the R-Straps

Watchamacallit
21-06-2010, 9:58am
Thanks for the comments - still deliberating over what to get. Grrrrrrrrrrr

The choice between and RS5 and RS7 wasn't easy, I personally read a few reviews so settled on the RS7 but when I got to the store was like "hmm...I'll give the other one a shot." Still chose the 7, partially because the "MODS" system appears to be the way forward.

But I do like the FastenR-3, aesthetically too due to the gunmetal finish on a black body, doesn't stand out as much.

wattsgallery
21-06-2010, 12:08pm
I got the RS-7. Ordered from BR site directly. It arrived in about 10 days including long weekend and I am very happy with it. I am just mad I didn't do it sooner and persisted with the stupid around the neck stap - I can't believe they haven't been improved in 30+ years.

Cheers
Josh

Showipix
21-06-2010, 1:19pm
Another Question, has anyone used the R-strap with the 40D / 50D battery grip, I read on one review that the screw connector does not screw all the way in on the battery grip mount - reluctant to think this is correct but would like to hear anyones experience with a gripped mount and the strap.

Mike
I have a 40D with battery grip and it works just fine - very solid

As to an Iphone - they DO fit in the strap with the one i have (as listed below) but it is snug - wouldnt fit if you had a cover/case on them :(

I love mine it is so comfortable!

I got mine from the states and it was delivered to my door in 5 working days!

mikew09
21-06-2010, 7:12pm
Mike
I have a 40D with battery grip and it works just fine - very solid

As to an Iphone - they DO fit in the strap with the one i have (as listed below) but it is snug - wouldnt fit if you had a cover/case on them :(

I love mine it is so comfortable!

I got mine from the states and it was delivered to my door in 5 working days!

Still struggling to make my mind up between the 5 or 7. Often find I need to have those extra mem cards handy when walking around the horse events etc. I do see key advantages, here in qld it gets hot and I hate the way I sweat against the camera when it is sitting to the front of me. Gets in the way when I am holding a horse for wife or daughter and with the basic strap and my 70-200, gets pretty uncomfy after a while. Just can't make up my mind which model. I have lost a few lens caps when they fall out of my jeans pocket, I see the advantage of putting the cap in the strap with the RS-5, ready to order, just need to make up my mind on which model.

Watchamacallit
21-06-2010, 8:08pm
Would just depend how much storage you need. The RS5 has more available (zip pocket, plus flip-top), though you can add Joey's to the RS7 (but that is extra $$$).

douglasdc8
22-06-2010, 7:25pm
Got my Black Rapid RS DR-1 double strap via Singapore earlier this year. A big photo shop in Perth sells them now, and I believe the distributor is in I think either Qld or NSW.
I have my Nikon D300S with 70-200 2.8 hanging on one side , and my Nikon D80 with 150-500 on the other side. They are excellent for my purpose of photographing aircraft, Just lift one up shoot as required , 'drop' it down the strap , lift the other one and shoot with that.
I have worn it for over four hours with both camera's attached and found
it quite comfortable and easy to wear. A great piece of gear especially if you into 'action' type photography. One point - remember if you have it attached to the tripod mount on your gear [where it is best ] when you have to change lens REMEMBER the LENS is attached to the strap and the camera IS'NT so beware you do not forgot and drop the body. I nearly did but made a 'safety link' with an old camera strap, attached to the camera body and the DR-1 strap, so when unhooking you always have the body and the lens secured by straps.
Great piece of gear.

smallfooties
26-06-2010, 1:25pm
i know camera electronics in perth stocks them... they cost about $76 - $99....

dragomir media
18-07-2010, 10:58am
I bought my RS DR-1 from the Black Rapid site...quick delivery, no hassles.
For people with multiple cameras - this is the best thing you can get. Like douglasdc8
Ive worn mine for hours (weddings/birthdays), and its just brilliant comfort wise.

baldrick
19-07-2010, 3:01pm
Just a small word of caution about this strap, a number of people have reported failures resulting in cameras hitting the pavement.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/107650-blackrapid-r-strap-rs-4-a.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=32800305

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/771373/0?keyword=blackrapid#7064390

Simmo

wattsgallery
19-07-2010, 3:26pm
Loving my RS-7 - shot a wedding with some pretty heavy gear on all day and no sore neck or shoulder. Will take note of the warnings above and try and hook up a safety backup in case the screw comes lose (not that it shows any sign of it). Thinking of a fishing trace between the camera lug and the clip - open to ideas if someone has a good suggestion, definately dont want to go back to the neck strap days!!

campo
19-07-2010, 3:46pm
Just a small word of caution about this strap, a number of people have reported failures resulting in cameras hitting the pavement.

I'd put it down to user error - especially the screw coming loose.

If you read the BR instructions, it says to moisten the rubber a little before tightening - it does make a difference and you'll be hard pressed to undo the Connect2 if you moisten it first.

In 20+ weddings and countless other shoots, i've never had an issue with either of my two RS4 straps. Come to think of it, I know another pro 4-5 photographers that use the black rapid gear and none of them have had an issue either.

That said, I use optech pro straps (http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=) and the short bits (not the neckstrap bit) are permanently attached to the camera by the eyelets. When I'm using my Blackrapid straps, i just loop the optech straps through the RS4 as a "safety".

2cr4ck
19-07-2010, 5:57pm
I bought my RS-7 from Blackrapid web site, it took 5 days if I remember correctly.

draco
19-07-2010, 10:03pm
hmmm.. will check this out and probable get one.. :D looks pretty neat at first glance..

creativepro
23-07-2010, 11:56pm
Hi

I have a Nikon D700 + a Nikon 24-70 mm lens

Just caught up with the post on Black Rapid straps .

I am a middle aged women and am thinking of possibly purchasing the R strap .

Some questions:

1. How safe is against theft ( cutting the strap) - or is the strap theft proof such as pacsafe?

2. How to protect the camera swinging in a large crowd - or else to cause damage to the camera especially when travelling overseas?

3. Is this better than purchasing the OP/TECH STRAP i. e is it as comfortable to wear . Does it pull on the shoulders or body?

Thanks

Sue

Ross the fiddler
29-07-2010, 10:16pm
I ordered a cheap copy from Link Delight. It only cost $25 & has a belt system similar to Black Rapid but an opening catch that overlaps & connects to a plate which includes a slot for a small strap if desired. I will probably get a Black Rapid mounting screw (when I get a battery grip for my camera). I guess I will find out just how cheap this Chinese version will be. If it's any good, I will write a comment on it & point out any failings it may have.

I know, cheap usually means cheap, but I will see just how cheap then won't I.:rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
29-07-2010, 10:29pm
Hi

I have a Nikon D700 + a Nikon 24-70 mm lens

Just caught up with the post on Black Rapid straps .

I am a middle aged women and am thinking of possibly purchasing the R strap .

Some questions:

1. How safe is against theft ( cutting the strap) - or is the strap theft proof such as pacsafe?

2. How to protect the camera swinging in a large crowd - or else to cause damage to the camera especially when travelling overseas?

3. Is this better than purchasing the OP/TECH STRAP i. e is it as comfortable to wear . Does it pull on the shoulders or body?

Thanks

Sue

If you're worried about the cutting of the strap, Sun Sniper make one with a steel cable in it. There is a Sydney supplier selling them on ebay.

creativepro
29-07-2010, 11:25pm
Looking forward to your review Ross

sue

bigdazzler
30-07-2010, 12:45am
my BR DR-1 arrived today ... unfortunately they stuffed up my order and only sent me 1 x Joey-2 mod and not the 2 that i actually ordered.

Strap is great though, very happy with that. Theyre definitely not cheap though .. $200+ for the strap and 2 x joeys.

creativepro
30-07-2010, 2:52pm
Wow that is expensive . Let us know how you go with it.

I have now considering the OP/Tech Pro Loop Camera Strap +Sling Kit for Nikon D700? What do you think?

Sue

bigdazzler
30-07-2010, 4:36pm
That was for the double strap, 2 x joey2s + shipping from the US. With exchange it ended up costing me about $215AUD. If Id bought it here it would have cost me at least $260. The DR-1 alone is $190 here, and the Joeys about $35 each.

magrose
30-07-2010, 9:43pm
Mine's on it's way. Ordered the RS-W1 which wasn't available till late July. The BlackRapid site ships for $12 whereas BH is closer to $40!

bigdazzler
31-07-2010, 9:23am
Mine's on it's way. Ordered the RS-W1 which wasn't available till late July. The BlackRapid site ships for $12 whereas BH is closer to $40!

late July ?? todays the 31st ... it dont get any later :D

creativepro
31-07-2010, 4:38pm
Is there any reason you decided on the BlackRaid and not the
OP/Tech Pro Loop Camera Strap +Sling Kit

Sue

my serendipity
02-08-2010, 5:52pm
I'm also interested if anyone knows if the joey pouches attach to the new women's strap RS-W1? And if anyone has any experience with these. As for safety regarding the camera falling after the screw worked itself loose, I have seen people use a figure 8 knot and some climbing rope as a safety loop. I have no experience with it myself but looks like a great idea.

bigdazzler
02-08-2010, 8:06pm
After moistening the rubber washer on the fastener I will be very surprised if it comes loose. I can hardly move it with all my strength.

MarkChap
02-08-2010, 8:55pm
After moistening the rubber washer on the fastener I will be very surprised if it comes loose. I can hardly move it with all my strength.

Plus 1 for that, I don't see that the fastener will work it self loose.

bigdazzler
03-08-2010, 7:33am
my BR DR-1 arrived today ... unfortunately they stuffed up my order and only sent me 1 x Joey-2 mod and not the 2 that i actually ordered.

Quick update on this ... Turns out I sent my email about getting this fixed up to their automated email system. Needless to say no-one got it and thats why i hadnt heard back from them. My mistake ... :rolleyes::o

I just emailed their customer service dept. (the correct one this time) and they got back to me in less than 10 minutes saying they would send out my missing item immediately. Thumbs up for quick response and service :th3:

creativepro
03-08-2010, 5:32pm
What made you decide on the BlackRapid RS DR-1 Double Camera Strap and not the Optech Double Harness?

sue

bigdazzler
03-08-2010, 7:23pm
quality ... Id heard good things about the materials in the BR stuff, and was told that they should last for a very very long time. I wasnt sure about the Optech stuff.

bigdazzler
15-08-2010, 1:20am
Quick update on this ... Turns out I sent my email about getting this fixed up to their automated email system. Needless to say no-one got it and thats why i hadnt heard back from them. My mistake ... :rolleyes::o

I just emailed their customer service dept. (the correct one this time) and they got back to me in less than 10 minutes saying they would send out my missing item immediately. Thumbs up for quick response and service :th3:

UPDATE: Received my missing items within 10 working days. Very well handled by BR :th3:

Ross the fiddler
15-08-2010, 7:18pm
I ordered a cheap copy from Link Delight. It only cost $25 & has a belt system similar to Black Rapid but an opening catch that overlaps & connects to a plate which includes a slot for a small strap if desired. I will probably get a Black Rapid mounting screw (when I get a battery grip for my camera). I guess I will find out just how cheap this Chinese version will be. If it's any good, I will write a comment on it & point out any failings it may have.

I know, cheap usually means cheap, but I will see just how cheap then won't I.:rolleyes:

I've recieved my Quick Strap which could be taken as a very good copy of the Black Rapid RS4. Someone else has done a good review of it here http://blueweedphoto.blogspot.com/2009/11/imo-review-q-strap-knockoff-thats.html & I won't redo it as he has described it very well. The only thing with the Link Delight description/photo was the clip shown. This is not the clip supplied, but the one recieved is shown in other reseller's advertisements (as it is in the above review). I also didn't recieve the small bit of tubing which isn't much of an issue. I really like the whole sling assembly supplied using the bracket (aluminium) which also allows for a grip strap to be attached (for when there is no battery grip on the camera), although I am the sort of person who buys something then looks to see how I can make it better, so I hope to make a new bracket with the Velbon tripod mount on it. I will take photos of it when done.