PDA

View Full Version : Cheap light stands

Bax
23-02-2010, 6:19pm
The next logical path after purchasing another two flashes.

Lighting stands.

Why is it that these are 50 dollars each for cheapies on ebay, and 200 on actual retail websites?

Are there any alternatives that people have found? Can't go into bunnings and buy a cheap extendable rod. Give it some legs and fit a ball head to it.

Riverlander
23-02-2010, 6:25pm
I have seen some cheap - $25 - stand for sheet music. I intend to follow it up and see whether they could be used for flash and umbrella etc.
Will post here again in the next 3 days..

coolie21
23-02-2010, 6:39pm
The servaas (http://servaas.com.au/light-stands-c-47.html) ones are very good and pretty cheap. I have the air cushioned one

A music stand would not be high enough for a lot of shots

nick351
23-02-2010, 7:10pm
I recommend the ones from Digital Camera Warehouse, I have both a 2.8m and 1.8m. For $50 and $35 respectively, they do a good job.

Bax
23-02-2010, 7:28pm
What other adapters are required to fit a flash onto them?

I'll be shooting bare at this stage.

coolie21
23-02-2010, 7:48pm
A flash will go on directly if you have one of those plastic flash stands that have a tripod screw onthe bottom but you won't be able to angle it down.
You need an umbrella adaptor (about $16-20)

Xenedis
23-02-2010, 8:15pm
I bought a pair of LightPro 3.1m air-cushioned light stands at Dragon Image in 2008.

These stands were $66 each.

I've seen the exact same stands in Photo Continental (large B&M in Brisbane) with a different brand. I cannot recall the price.

From what I know, this particular stand comes from China. It might be labelled with a different "brand" depending on who's selling it, but it's the same item.

These stands are great, and have capability to mount horizontal tubes as well.

IMO, there's really no need to be spending $200 on a light stand.

birdie
23-02-2010, 10:53pm
I bought my lighting gear from ##############... they've got a great range at reasonable prices... give them a google :-)

JazzXP
24-02-2010, 9:12am
I bought my lighting gear from ##############... they've got a great range at reasonable prices... give them a google :-)

Another thumbs up for Image Melbourne. I went out there yesterday. Very helpful in what I was after.

JM Tran
24-02-2010, 12:10pm
I use some gas cushioned light stands from Image Melbourne for my Bowens strobe lights, and also 580EXIIs mounted with the brolly holders, they are very sturdy and reliable.

but try and get some sandbags or weight for outdoor usage as mine has been knocked over by strong wind in the past with brollies on it, broke a flash receiver unit:)

SRR33
24-02-2010, 12:18pm
I use some gas cushioned light stands from Image Melbourne for my Bowens strobe lights, and also 580EXIIs mounted with the brolly holders, they are very sturdy and reliable.

but try and get some sandbags or weight for outdoor usage as mine has been knocked over by strong wind in the past with brollies on it, broke a flash receiver unit:)

+1 for light stands from image Melbourne.

+1 for sand bags

FlippedOut
25-02-2010, 10:33pm
Yeah i agree on the imagemelb ones, good value for the money and fairly sturdy aswell

Bax
25-02-2010, 10:39pm
Cheers guys. I've sent an email off somewhere ??? Can't remember even though I did it 10 minutes ago.

I purchased the flashes tonight, so now I need the stands, and preferably a cheap carry bag that will fit both stands.