PDA

View Full Version : Sydney meets calendar

NikonNellie
23-02-2010, 6:25pm
Well Sydneysiders we now have a calendar of events starting to happen. :party6:

Amphot and I have started putting in events for the year. Some events do run over a few days which gives members the opportunity to go on another day, either by themselves or with other members if they can't make it on the specified meeting date.
We are trying to cover all genres of photography to make our shoots many and varied - some may appeal to you and some may not. :confused013
I will endeavour to try and include information about the venue, e.g Cafe available, photo opportunities, meeting time and place, etc.

The calendar can be found here:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/calendar.php?s=&month=2&year=2010&do=&c=2

Unfortunately at this stage we cannot format the text to distinguish between Sydney and NSW meets. NSW is the first state to have this calendar and it is on a trial basis at the moment. If all goes well Kym may be able to set one up for each state and we may be able to have different coloured text for different groups within the state calendar. It's all very exciting.

While Amphot and I will be deciding on meeting times and places, if members have better knowledge and would like to offer up some better suggestions, please do so by a PM to either one of us (this should avoid having multiple posts in the NSW Meet forum)

As you can see our next meet will be at Rookwood Cemetary - time and place to be decided yet as I need to make a few enquiries and to see if permission is required.

I hope that you all will find this a useful tool in your photographic life!

maccaroneski
23-02-2010, 6:34pm
Excellent work Narelle! And thanks Kym.

As discussed the other day, as well as the larger meets, you might just want to post where you are going and when if it's a shoot that you are planning and wouldn't mind some company without going the whole hog of starting a thread, organising a roll call etc etc.

NikonNellie
23-02-2010, 8:15pm
Maybe we could do Wollongong but The Southern Highlands is a huge hike for us Sydney siders. I'll see what I can find unless you have any suggestions wildenikon?

AmPhot
23-02-2010, 9:02pm
How about something in the 'Gong - half way for you & us. ;)

Xenedis
23-02-2010, 9:06pm
Good job, gang.

Is there any way for notifications of meets, or do people need to actively click into the calendar?

maccaroneski
23-02-2010, 10:09pm
Maybe we could do Wollongong but The Southern Highlands is a huge hike for us Sydney siders. I'll see what I can find unless you have any suggestions wildenikon?

It's not that big a drive to Bowral - M2, M7, M5 and you're there. You'll pay $150 in tolls though...

Xenedis
23-02-2010, 10:13pm

Wollongong and the Southern Highlands are pretty much the same distance away from greater Sydney. One's just west of the other.

If you want the Southern Highlands, you take the M5; if you want the Gong, you take the F6. Similar distances, basically.

ricktas
23-02-2010, 10:17pm
Good job, gang.

Is there any way for notifications of meets, or do people need to actively click into the calendar?

Not via the calendar, but you can subscribe to a thread and you will be kept informed via email of the progression of that thread. Use the 'thread tools' menu at the top of a thread, to subscribe to it.

Xenedis
23-02-2010, 10:20pm
Not via the calendar, but you can subscribe to a thread and you will be kept informed via email of the progression of that thread. Use the 'thread tools' menu at the top of a thread, to subscribe to it.

Ta.

I knew about thread subscriptions, but if the idea of the calendar is to list all of the planned meets, thread subscriptions won't help much there, unless someone announces each meet in a centralised thread.

NikonNellie
23-02-2010, 10:48pm
Excellent work Narelle! And thanks Kym.

I would just like to let you know that Amphot has done the majority of the work so far - inputting nearly all of the dates. Great job Amphot! :wd:

Just remember guys this is a work in progress and will take a little time to complete the whole calendar as I need to do some research on some of the locations. We are still open to any suggestions which you can post here.

Xenedis
23-02-2010, 10:59pm
Just remember guys this is a work in progress and will take a little time to complete the whole calendar as I need to do some research on some of the locations. We are still open to any suggestions which you can post here.

Have you seen the NSW Free Photo Guides site?

http://freephotoguideaustnsw.blogspot.com/

This is a collaborative effort to document location guides for photographers.

Plenty of Sydney locations are documented.

The key to keeping things interesting is not to have the same type of meet all the time. I'm always keen on dawn or dusk 'scape shoots, but others may like to do things completely different, or have more of a meet and greet than a shoot.

peterb666
23-02-2010, 11:23pm
It's not that big a drive to Bowral - M2, M7, M5 and you're there. You'll pay $150 in tolls though...

Avoid the toll roads, costs 5 minutes and save $150.

maccaroneski
24-02-2010, 3:42pm
In answer to John's earlier question, maybe we could just drop a post in here to indicate you've added something to the calendar? Then you could simply subscribe to this thread and be informed as soon as something is added.

For example:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=58&day=2010-2-28

BTW I made a mistake and put it in for today (D'oh) so please ignore that... the 28th entry is correct.

NikonNellie
24-02-2010, 5:23pm
In answer to John's earlier question, maybe we could just drop a post in here to indicate you've added something to the calendar? Then you could simply subscribe to this thread and be informed as soon as something is added.

For example:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=58&day=2010-2-28

BTW I made a mistake and put it in for today (D'oh) so please ignore that... the 28th entry is correct.

Tony
You should be able to edit your mistake by clicking on the event on the calendar and going to "Event Options" and then "Edit Options". I tried but the options are not appearing on the screen. It looks as if only the person who entered the event can edit the information - which makes sense!

Xenedis you can get a reminder of the event by clicking on the event and then go to "Request Reminder for this event".

I don't think we need to drop a post in this thread each time a new event is added. Members can check for themselves if a new event has been added. Members should be just able to go to "Community" then "Calendar". Choose the month you require with the drop down menu and then click on the event which will show you all of the information and this is where members will have to be vigilant in entering appropriate information such as time and place of meet. If you require a reminder of the event then click on "Request Reminder of this event". Easy peasy!

NikonNellie
03-03-2010, 6:10pm
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MT. TOMAH MEET HAS BEEN MOVED TO SATURDAY MAY 1ST - this later time should give us a more spectacular display.

Bennymiata
08-06-2011, 3:30pm
Are there any meets scheduled for June 2011?
I've tried checking the calendar, but there's nothing on it.

Xenedis
08-06-2011, 5:48pm
Are there any meets scheduled for June 2011?
I've tried checking the calendar, but there's nothing on it.

Anyone can organise a meet and place it in the calendar.

If there's a photoshoot you want to do and wish to make a meet out of it, post a thread and update the calendar.

Scotty72
08-06-2011, 5:56pm
I am actually free this Sunday (and holiday Monday) morning: does any one want to out shooting in the freezing winter air at sunrise?

John, wanna go sacrifice yet another 5D to the Gods at Kiama?

Xenedis
08-06-2011, 6:01pm
wanna go sacrifice yet another 5D to the Gods at Kiama?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm taking a long break from dawns and seascapes. (Not due to the Kiama Incident.)

peterb666
08-06-2011, 6:49pm
I am actually free this Sunday (and holiday Monday) morning: does any one want to out shooting in the freezing winter air at sunrise?

John, wanna go sacrifice yet another 5D to the Gods at Kiama?

I am free on Sunday morning. Would a 7D be a suitable sacrifice? I have already seen a 5D gifted to Neptune.

Scotty72
08-06-2011, 7:59pm
I am free on Sunday morning. Would a 7D be a suitable sacrifice? I have already seen a 5D gifted to Neptune.

I would hate to steal the limelight from Johhno

KeeFy
10-07-2011, 3:09am
Anymore outings? :D

Scotty72
10-07-2011, 11:59pm
No doubt there will be soon. I think these cold winter months are slowing us warm blooded types down a bit :)

NikonNellie
11-07-2011, 12:28am
I have run out of ideas so I would be very happy if someone came up with a suggestion for August. There is one coming up in September to Bella Vista Farm Open Day and Amphot has posted a couple of car meets that members may be interested in. :)

peterb666
11-07-2011, 1:11pm
Suggestion for early August Sunday - Early morning "suspension" bridge at Northbridge/Tunks Prark/Willoughby Bay followed by picnic breasfast in the park.

antiskeptic87
12-07-2011, 12:13pm
I'm always keen for a meet up :)

My suggestions areeeeee (and forgive me if they've already been done or suggested!)

- Sunset at Mrs' Macquaries Chair
- Night time (think beautiful long exposures), from Luna Park back towards the city
- Sunrise at beaches in the warmer weather
- Fagan Park at Dural (I like heading down there for macros in spring/summer, however portraits would also work here)
- Mahon Pool at Maroubra (early morning)
- La Perouse - Bare Island

Aaaaaaand I'll add any more I think of :)

NikonNellie
13-07-2011, 7:33pm
Thanks for your input Krystle - most of them have been done, but that is not to say that we won't revisit some of your suggestions. Keep thinking though! :D

enVision
18-07-2011, 4:53pm
The only thing I can suggest is sunrise/bushwalk in the mountains. However I understand this would be a massive effort for some, and others may not want to do the bushwalking side of things. But yeah, that's all that comes to mind for me.

mkooper
25-06-2012, 12:28pm
There is nothing in the calendar for July 2012 ... Is this still active or should it be removed from the sticky?

peterb666
25-06-2012, 9:22pm
Hi Mark, everyone is quite welcome to organise a meet so if you would like to do so, go ahead. Post in the NSW meets forum and link a Calendar post to the forum.

peterb666
20-01-2013, 11:43pm
posted in wrong thread

aocc
03-03-2014, 5:06pm
No Sydney Meets then for a few years ???

NikonNellie
03-03-2014, 6:39pm
Yes we have them regularly. We have one coming up this Saturday if you are interested. The meets are posted here:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?94-NSW