PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 2 ??

MarkChap
22-02-2010, 4:20pm
I downloaded and installed the trial version of lightroom yesterday.

My question, do I shell out for Scott Kelby's book now or just muddle around google and you tube until I decide if I intend to contiunue with Lightroom ??

The develop module is ok, it is pretty much the same as ACR, so actually adjusting my images is no biggy, it is all the rst that has me confused.

monkey
22-02-2010, 4:45pm
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-20/

MarkChap
22-02-2010, 8:10pm
Yep, all well and good, but it doesn't show me how to get my photos into lightroom in the first place ??

Go figure

Lani
22-02-2010, 8:12pm
It took me while to get my head around it but am really glad I stuck with it, Kelby's book is good value. Having said that with LR3 about due for release, you might want to hang fire for a bit?

DAdeGroot
22-02-2010, 8:24pm
Yep, all well and good, but it doesn't show me how to get my photos into lightroom in the first place ??

Go figure

In the Library module, click the Import button on the bottom left of the screen.

You can choose to add to the library without copying, good for when your files already reside where you want them to be, or to copy (good for card readers and cameras).

ricktas
22-02-2010, 8:25pm
Lightroom is really flexible, take importing photos into the catalogue, you have several options, Import them into the catalogue, but leave the actual files exactly where they are now, import then and move the files to a new file structure, etc

I think you will need the Scott Kelby book (or something similar) to understand it. It is quite customisable, and it lets users choose the methods that best suit them. But that customisability, means that it can be confusing for those new to Lightroom, as it means more choices and decisions, rather than one click and one method.

MarkChap
22-02-2010, 9:14pm
See now thats what adobe did, they show you how to import the photos.

But it doesn't work. what tha, fiddle fidlle fart around and ahhhhhhhhh thats the answer I need a catalogue ??

I actually think I have sorted the getting photos into Lightroom now

There are a few things I am not too sure on so will keep fiddling and see if it is worth the change

DAdeGroot
22-02-2010, 10:09pm
There are a few things I am not too sure on so will keep fiddling and see if it is worth the change

Well worth it in the long run as it quickly becomes intuitive.

BTW, biggest tip ever - tag your photos on import! It makes it a LOT easier to find a particular shot later.

MrJorge
22-02-2010, 10:42pm
Halfway through the book after buying it on the weekend. Have used LR1.4 for a long time. Never used LR2. But I learnt a fair bit so far and now am desperate to get LR2.

Very worth the $$$ the book.

MarkChap
22-02-2010, 10:50pm
Well worth it in the long run as it quickly becomes intuitive.

BTW, biggest tip ever - tag your photos on import! It makes it a LOT easier to find a particular shot later.

Thats not a biggy for me, I always keyword/tag first thing after import now using bridge, so that part will just stay.

I am liking the collections, and if I can figure it out I think smart collections may be very good.
I will be able to have for instance all my bird photos automatically in a smart collection, just click it and there are all my bird photos ?? has some potential

Brishawk
22-02-2010, 11:00pm
Good advice MrJorge, a mate of mine said much the same thing to me today :th3:

MrJorge
22-02-2010, 11:01pm
Good advice MrJorge, a mate of mine said much the same thing to me today :th3:

You must have a very smart mate Brishawk... listen to that guy.

DAdeGroot
23-02-2010, 7:44am
I am liking the collections, and if I can figure it out I think smart collections may be very good.
I will be able to have for instance all my bird photos automatically in a smart collection, just click it and there are all my bird photos ?? has some potential

Yep, works as advertised ;-)

If all your bird photos are tagged with the word "bird", create a smart collection with the single "rule" as: Keywords contains bird
Voila!