PDA

View Full Version : So you want to ditch the M$ tax? Which Linux is for you?

Kym
22-02-2010, 2:12pm
... and your not that technical... then Mint is for you!

It is based on the Ubuntu distro, but with all the extra's most people need added in their desktop setup (eg. media codecs etc.)

One of the problems for non technical people using Linux has been that "It's great, BUT you need to add x,y, and z" to make it work for you.

Mint solves this by putting all those common extra's into one easy package.

I've used Ubuntu for the last few years and really enjoyed it. Mint is Ubuntu with the bits I normally add manually already there. It is a joy!

So if you want to miss the Microsoft and Adobe taxes this maybe the answer!
You also get Open Office and all the other Linux goodies in one hit.
note: Open office will read and write Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.

The GIMP (as reviewed by Rick) is included; so your photo editing needs are also sorted.
There are a total of 41 graphics apps including image viewers, scanners, converters and editors.

Refer:
http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2359956,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

MarkChap
22-02-2010, 2:26pm
All sounds good

In theory, but for very non techy types like me

MattC
22-02-2010, 3:44pm
I think a mate of mine programs for the mint release - or one of the versions.
I might look at putting it on my netbook - thanks for the links.

arthurking83
22-02-2010, 8:47pm

So if you want to miss the Microsoft and Adobe taxes this maybe the answer!
note: Open office will read and write Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.

even the newer docx format(and equivalents in their other programs, if they've been updated too :confused013)

One thing that infuriated me(on my sis's PC a while back) is that she got the latest version of Office and sent me a docx file. Stuffed if I knew what to do with it, so had to find some conversion program from M$ to convert it back to a readable format.

... Swines!!(M$) :action: Was there any reason to update the file format?

Kym
22-02-2010, 9:13pm
even the newer docx format(and equivalents in their other programs, if they've been updated too :confused013)

One thing that infuriated me(on my sis's PC a while back) is that she got the latest version of Office and sent me a docx file. Stuffed if I knew what to do with it, so had to find some conversion program from M$ to convert it back to a readable format.

... Swines!!(M$) :action: Was there any reason to update the file format?

In this case the new formats are a step forward being propriety XML rather than propriety binary. :crzy:

KevPride
22-02-2010, 9:28pm
"So if you want to miss the Microsoft and Adobe taxes this maybe the answer!
note: Open office will read and write Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.:"

Hi Kym this is interesting as I have been toying with replacing my ageing MS XP OS, what problems could occur with existing programmes & files I already have on system. Only reason I did not jump on Windows 7 is that I had to go through the process of starting up a second file backup & it is not a tack on with XP as it is if you have Vista.

Can it be operated as a second system to trial before ditching XP.

Kevin

pilbara togger
22-02-2010, 11:31pm
Yes. Once you have downloaded Ubuntu (and I would assume that Mint is similar) and burned it to disk, you can boot from the disk in Live mode.

Basically, this allows you to run the operating system from the CD without installing anything or altering your hard drive at all. You can have a play and see if you like it, and if you don't you can just shut it down and take out the CD. Nothing on your hard drive will be changed, and Windows won't be affected.

Ubuntu can also be used alongside Windows on the same machine. I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, but keep a small XP partition as well- mainly because the printing companies that I use have Windows uploading software. You can choose which OS you boot into at startup.

I am a huge fan of Ubuntu, and while I've never used Mint I imagine it is just as good. It is far more simple to use and maintain than most imagine, and it is much more secure. Best of all, the support forums are filled with helpful, knowledgeable people who are happy to assist you if you need it.

grw46
23-02-2010, 9:39am
I'm a long time Mint/ linux user as is my 11 year old G/daughter and would not go back to Win$$$$ if they paid me.
No anti virus ,addaware , spyware , trojans and safe secure on line dealings.:th3:
I do run win7 but only for Lightroom ( a free Beta version;)) and transfer photos between the 2 systems as required.

Kym
23-02-2010, 9:52am
I am a huge fan of Ubuntu, and while I've never used Mint I imagine it is just as good.

Live disks are very good for a trial.

Mint is Ubuntu++ - mainly all the extra media stuff that Ubuntu won't load due to perceived IP issues.
Mint uses Ubuntu (and other) repositories for updates etc.
So if you love Ubuntu; you will be ecstatic with Mint.