PDA

View Full Version : Vernacular Photography, Or Accidental Genius

maccaroneski
21-02-2010, 10:33pm
After watching the first episode of The Genius of Photography, and the discussion of Vernacular photography (i.e. basically the snapshots that the first Kodak cameras, developing, printing and marketing system allowed) and reflecting upon how inspiring a photograph can be, irrespective of the gear or technical mastery behind it, I thought of a particular photograph in an album that my mother gave me to digitise.

In amongst the usual snapshots, fuzzy focus, thumb over the lens etc etc that you find in these things, there is a shot of my elder brother taken in about 1969 or 1970 on whatever P & S mum had at the time. For me, I think that this shot falls into "Accidental Genius" category.

Anyone else got any examples that they want to share? It doesn't have to share a similar story - it could be a group shot of a workplace that you were in that you cam across, or maybe even a passport photo that captures the real essence of the person - if it's a great image whilst not necessarily being "well captured" on great gear with forethought and planning, post it here.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4374894295_e02d8447b2_o.jpg

Aussie Battler
22-02-2010, 9:42pm
Just loving this show, have something in mind, just gotta find it.