PDA

View Full Version : CS4 or elements?

eemiassim
19-02-2010, 12:47am
I have been using a downloaded trial of CS4 and I LOVE IT! I really would love to buy it but unfortunately do not have $1000. Would I be disapointed if I brought elements instead? How much different are they really?

I might have to download elements aswell and see what it is like.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Im a confused newbie here.

pgbphotographytas
19-02-2010, 8:01am
I have only used version 6 of Elements and as it is s much cheaper program of course it is not going to do as much as what CS4 does but then who really uses all the features of CS4?

I have just started using "The GIMP" and so far it is doing everything I want and is free :th3:

Lani
19-02-2010, 8:50am
You could get an education version, some places need documentation such as Teacher registration, union card, others don't. It is fully functional but much cheaper.
I am not too sure on what Elements can and can't do, I know plenty of people that use it, but if you already like CS4, the academic version may be an option.

pgbphotographytas
19-02-2010, 9:08am
You could get an education version, some places need documentation such as Teacher registration, union card, others don't. It is fully functional but much cheaper.
I am not too sure on what Elements can and can't do, I know plenty of people that use it, but if you already like CS4, the academic version may be an option.

My understanding is that you have to be a teacher or student to get the student version and you can not use it for commercial work.

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

"Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?

In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only."

maccaroneski
19-02-2010, 9:09am
You should really qualify for an educational version if you are going to buy one though... if you don't qualify and you do get one, you might as well just download a torrent of a cracked version because you are still breaching the licensing conditions in either case.

Lani
19-02-2010, 9:45am
The academic version is different to the student version, Paul.
who knows....OP may be a teacher or student or have one in the family? I am not advocating breaching any licensing conditions. ;)

fillum
19-02-2010, 2:30pm
Aimee I think you have answered your own question, download the Elements trial and see if you miss anything that you've been using in CS4. Elements should handle most of the basic stuff such as brightness/contrast; sharpening; saturation; cropping; cloning; etc.

I'm 2 versions worse off than Paul as I'm still using Elements version 4. I don't know how much Elements has changed between version 4 and the current release but my understanding is that:
- Elements is (mostly) 8-bit processing vs 16-bit in CS4
- layer masks are more versatile and easier to use in CS4 (masks on adjustment layers only in Elements)
- Elements doesn't have channel mixer (is that what it's called?)
- Elements doesn't have a history brush
- Elements doesn't have curves adjustment (although a plugin may be available)
- etc.

For me, this list is reason enough to move to CS4, but only because of the lower student price. (My son has just started high school and will shortly be buying CS4 - although he may not know it :)).

As Paul suggested it would be worth checking out GIMP as well.

Good luck...

eemiassim
19-02-2010, 2:39pm
Thanks, ive used gimp and I just dont like it. I dont know why? I think I am going to have to just save like crazy and get CS4 I will miss my curves adjustments and layer masks...

Will download Elements today and see what its like.

Speedway
19-02-2010, 2:51pm
I have Elements5 and am still working my way through it after over 4 years. It does everything i want.
Keith.

jjnic
19-02-2010, 3:15pm
my understanding is that the comercial version is about $1000, the educational version is cheaper at about half the commercial version price, the student version is cheapest at about half that again. The difference being the number of licences with each version. ie commercial = many licences. Educational (for personal or educational use. no evidence required) = 2 licences. Student version (student ID required) = 1 licence. have a look at www.engineIT.com.au and in particular http://www.engineit.com.au/shop/index.php/adobe-photoshop-extended-cs4-education-version-for-windows.html

jj

para
19-02-2010, 3:47pm
You still need to supply a student or uni card for educational version with most companies.
it`s about $400.00 but can only have it on 2 computers student version $200.00 1 computer only

mcdesign
21-02-2010, 10:40pm
I was able to get the education version as I teach one on one but not officially! and not for a fee. Adobe allowed me to have it, I must have been persuasive :D. Elements won't do curves and quite a lot of other things that I rely on in Photoshop, cropping to a pacific size is a case in point (in the version I have - 6) it is quite frustrating if you are used to Photoshop.

Try and get the education one if you can and beware of the pirate copies, a lot of functions don't work as a friend of mine found out. as