PDA

View Full Version : Nightscape HDR

rogklee
17-02-2010, 9:49am
Hey,

Anyone got any tips for making HDRs of night time landscapes. I've noticed when I do it (automatically as I'm still learning bout HDRs) it enhances the noise in the image. What techniques can I use to improve my image? *using either CS3 or photomatrix

Thanks

dbax
17-02-2010, 10:00am
you might need to look at some noise reduction software, Neat Image, Noise Ninja or Noiseware to name just a few.
Most are availabe as Photoshop plugins or stand alone and have free trail periods. There are some freebies about but I haven't looked for a few years since getting Noiseware.

fillum
17-02-2010, 5:35pm
Roger have you tried using the in-camera long-exposure or high-iso noise reduction settings (if applicable)? Don't know how effective it would be as I've never used them but might be worth a try...

Cheers.

andrask
05-05-2010, 9:51am
Could you give an example of the "noisy" nightscape HDR image and the exposure data. That will provide a better basis for comment.

aycee
09-05-2010, 10:54am
There are a couple of issues here.....HDR works much better when there are wildly different colours and light all over the photo ..like speckled light and early or late light..its not so good on the less coloured night scapes but saying that because night scapes are often noisy coz of the time exposure HDR will enhance the noise

HDR is never the answer it is always part of the answer..do some adjustments in either something like camera raw and use noise filters before dropping them into HDR programs and not all HDR programs are equal

you can often get as good if not a lot better by using the AEB work in PS and masking in the tops and bottoms and using Lab colour for the boldness and lots less noise

hope that helps..manual is always better but slower IMHO

Alan!