PDA

View Full Version : Histograms

Seesee
11-07-2007, 6:00pm
Just how does one access the histogram from someone elses picture posted here, it doesn't show in exif info ? I ask because every now and then someone comments on a the histogram reading from a posted picture. I can only view it on my own camera or editing program, not once it's posted ?

ricktas
11-07-2007, 6:17pm
Ok,. i will tell you how to do it, but remember by copying the image to your PC, do not save it to your hard-drive as you could be breaching copyright. So just do the following, check the histogram and then close it without saving.

UNLESS - you have the owners permission to have a copy!

Open the image in AP that you want to check

Open Photoshop

on the image you want to see the histogram for (on the AP page), click and hold, then drag down to the toolbar where photoshop is sitting, which will open photoshop, then on your photoshop workspace, drop the image. Then view the histogram in photoshop. EASY

cheers

Rick

Briancd
11-07-2007, 9:19pm
SeeSee, that someone could have been me. I save the image and open it with my image editor. The first thing I do is look at the histogram. If you use levels it creates a histogram to enable the adjustments to be made.

Ricktas - I would think that saving images from the net does not in inself breach copyright. It is what you do with the images that may infringe copyright. e.g. claim as your own, sell, use to make up another image etc.

Seesee
11-07-2007, 9:27pm
Ah OK, I figured it could be done by opening it in my photo editor { Elements } but that takes a while to open on my lappy, 512 RAM, I was hoping it was something simpler than that........thanks, no dramas :cool:

mpot
12-07-2007, 9:52am
Ricktas - I would think that saving images from the net does not in inself breach copyright. It is what you do with the images that may infringe copyright. e.g. claim as your own, sell, use to make up another image etc.

Just viewing the photo in your web browser is already saving it to your hard drive....in your browser's cache directory ;-)

Cheers,
Martin.

ricktas
12-07-2007, 11:13am
Hi guys,

I understand that just viewing it on your pc from the web saves it to your temporary internet files.

However, i had a long conversation with a lawyer regarding the saving of images on PC's from the net.

After much investigation, i have been advised that if it is stored on your PC in the temporary internet cache directories you would probably be ok in a court, however if you stored the image in "my documents" or similar it could be deemed as having been stolen as it would be argued that you physically saved the copy, rather than a process of using the internet

So to err on the side of caution, i would not save a copy to your hard disk.

cheers everyone

Rick

Bax
12-07-2007, 1:41pm
I think you'd be reasonably safe saving an image that is posted on a public forum though. Especially without any indications like a business name, website and Copyright logo.

That's my understanding anyway, if it's a general image posted on a public forum it's a free for all.

If people are worried - there is always full sized watermarks etc.

ricktas
12-07-2007, 1:51pm
agree Bax,

Just trying to point out that if a dispute arose between 2 members for some reason. Having images on your computer could be seen in court as having stolen them.

I am not saying its something that will happen, just pointing out the legalities. Hopefully everyone here is nice enough to not steal and use someone elses images.

Bax
12-07-2007, 2:01pm
Indeed.. Just read your copyright link in another thread - Was news to me.

Fez
12-07-2007, 8:13pm
So, getting back to the subject, I have seen many members mentioning the exif data with the pictures posted. No matter how I try I have not yet located any exif data on anything posted here, unless it's typed in that is.

I take it that the method used to view the histogram is the same as the exif?

ricktas
12-07-2007, 8:19pm
depending on your browser, you can view the exif data (if the poster of the image hasnt stripped it) by right clicking on the image.

In firefox you can get a plugin that lets you view it all and when you right click you get an option to view the exif data.

Not sure about IE, as i dont use it.

Fez
12-07-2007, 8:27pm
Yep, I use IE and the right click only gives me the usual properties, not the exif.

Seesee
12-07-2007, 9:22pm
So, getting back to the subject, I have seen many members mentioning the exif data with the pictures posted. No matter how I try I have not yet located any exif data on anything posted here, unless it's typed in that is.

I take it that the method used to view the histogram is the same as the exif?

Exif data is activated simply by a right mouse click on a picture, so long as that pictures exif data is attatched, and you have an exif reading program installed on your computer like Opanda Exif ? This is different to viewing someone elses histogram where you need to save the picture to your Photoshop editing program.

Opanda Exif is a free download, just google it and download, free, easy and dam handy.

Fez
12-07-2007, 9:29pm
Thanks for the info mate.