PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening in LR

Lani
14-02-2010, 2:26pm
I was looking for some info on sharpening in LR, and came across this (http://x-equals.com/blog/?p=1792).

I haven't been able to get good results with just output sharpening using mogrify, so thought this may be of interest to others.

I would be curious to know if anyone uses a sharpening plug-in for LR too, specifically to allow for selective sharpening?

Allann
14-02-2010, 3:07pm
I don't use LR much anymore after discovering Nik Software. thanks for the link though, was an interesting read.

nigo75
14-02-2010, 3:31pm
Thanks for the link Lani:)

clm738
14-02-2010, 4:37pm
Hi Lani, I have been using LR sharpening since shooting RAW. I have just started to use the adjustment brush to do selective sharpening. You can use this over and over to get things as sharp as you want. Darren (kiwi) put me onto Mogrify and I use this, usually at #2 for export sharpening (for screen) as I felt the lightroom export sharpening wasn't enough.
Don't know of any other sharpening plug-ins for Lightroom, I keep looking. I hate not having a preview of your sharpening at export. I export to desktop, check sharpening, then if I have to, keep doing it till I get it how I like it. A very slow process indeed, but I don't know any other way.

kiwi
14-02-2010, 4:39pm
LR/Mogrify settings I use

Radius 1.52
Sigma 1
Amount .3
Threshhold .102

Lani
14-02-2010, 4:46pm
Ok, I am officially an idiot, I didn't actually know there were more sharpening options, I was just using output sharpening, cos I was following a tutorial from some one else. It might have been referring to an earlier version.
Thanks, Darren. :th3:

MrJorge
15-02-2010, 12:46pm
I gotta get onto this Mogrify bandwagon...

Allann
15-02-2010, 2:03pm
I used mogrify for a while but for both sharpening and noise reductioni haven't found anything better than nik software (no I don't have shares on the company, they are just that good). Being able to selectively apply pre-sharpening and then noise reduction before output sharpening has changed my images considerably for the better, and having them as seperate layers in cs4 is a bonus.

Lani
15-02-2010, 4:38pm
The beauty of mogrify though, is for bulk output of images...
anything that is going to print or needs special pp, I do in CS4. As you say Allann, you can't beat having the image saved as layers, and being able to apply selective NR or sharpening. But from a time-saving point of view mogrify is great.

MrJorge
15-02-2010, 4:52pm
The beauty of mogrify though, is for bulk output of images...

Exactly what I need for sports shoots...

Allann
15-02-2010, 4:53pm
But from a time-saving point of view mogrify is great.

Can't dispute that. I have found the bulk update/export from lightroom similar enough to not need mogrify. I also use the bulk "edit in" facility to do the output sharpen as this usually applies to the entire image, and then with another click export to a sub folder called "print" or "display" depending on the type of sharpening is applied as both are very different. I then bulk upload the display folder to my website. If prints are ordered I send the print folder image to the printers meaning that it is a better version than the display version for printing.

rogklee
17-02-2010, 11:47am
nice very helpful, thanks for that

kiwi
17-02-2010, 11:54am
My photos are 99% crystal sharp out OOC (JPEG), so I find that slective sharoening is just a giant waste of effort and time. A mild and generic run through LR/Mogrify and bobs your uncle