PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Trigger

Crumb
13-02-2010, 8:31pm
Just received my my new toy from my loving husband (he made me say that) a lightning trigger.

I have scored two bolts from it (mistakenly my husband deleted one) so I have only have proof of one we were testing it out last night with a lighter and just happens we coped a bolt. Its out of focus and boring but I will post anyway.

Has anyone got any ideas or feedback on them at all?

stevemack
13-02-2010, 8:42pm
Theres not really much to do with them other than stick em on and wait
unelss you have a sensitivity dial on it to stop it firing off at every god given flicker in the sky,even the ones the eye cant see.Lots of memory is a good idea hehe :th3:

steve.

Philr
13-02-2010, 8:47pm
Hey Nicole lightning triggers are fun to use. I use mine mainly for daytime lightning otherwise it is near impossible to capture them. Lightning after dark is easier as you can leave the shutter open a lot longer. The easiest way is to set the lens to manual focus, if it is daylight it is easier to focus where you want or on a particular point, but in the dark it is hard to judge. If you set the lens to infinity focus you will get a pretty sharp pic. Don't forget a tripod is a necessity and if you keep the iso around 100 or 200 you will limit the amount of noise in your end result. Hope this help or if you need some info or suggestions feel free to ask me and I will try and help you out.

Analog6
13-02-2010, 8:48pm
It's a doozy of a capture. Where did you get it, and what did it cost, if I may be so brash?

Philr
13-02-2010, 8:50pm
Odille they are readily available on ebay or or there are a few companies in the USA that make them. I have seen one of another chasers here in QLD that made his own. I paid about $200 for mine from memory.

Crumb
13-02-2010, 9:34pm
Yeah its pretty poor but as I said we weren't even trying and funny enough we coped it. Anyway we got it from America lightningtrigger.com it cost about $200 as well.

I love getting lightning pictures but dont want to waist my time with that when I could play around and get more shots like my first few.

Enteeam
17-02-2013, 2:37pm
Hey Nicole lightning triggers are fun to use. I use mine mainly for daytime lightning otherwise it is near impossible to capture them. Lightning after dark is easier as you can leave the shutter open a lot longer. The easiest way is to set the lens to manual focus, if it is daylight it is easier to focus where you want or on a particular point, but in the dark it is hard to judge. If you set the lens to infinity focus you will get a pretty sharp pic. Don't forget a tripod is a necessity and if you keep the iso around 100 or 200 you will limit the amount of noise in your end result. Hope this help or if you need some info or suggestions feel free to ask me and I will try and help you out.
I wouldn't categorise the process as near impossible to capture, a little more difficult maybe, but with trial and error, many acceptable and a few very good images can be had. I am a novice, but reading as much as I can on the subject, and then putting some of that to practice has ironed out a few of the bumps that invariably arise. As an example, the following are two images that I got on my first outing during daylight.

Metadata for both 0.3sec. at f/22 ISO 320 Ubertronics Strikefinder Pro canon 60D 28-135mm lens Benro Tripod

I may have jagged the shots, but i have since repeated the exercise a couple of times with similar results. Fortunately we are in our monsoon season up here (Darwin) right now, so we can be easily assured of getting more practice for the next couple of months.

(Humble apologies! I misread your post, and I agree that it would be very difficult without the Lightning trigger)

Villida
17-02-2013, 2:47pm
I have never heard of a lightning trigger until now. They sound fascinating. I shall investigate further.