PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Shepparton?

alacrity
09-02-2010, 11:08pm
I have just gotten my Nikon D3000 and can't even take a picture of a spider and web out the front door and have resorted back to my 5 year old P&S. I don't suppose there is anyone in the Shepparton area that could show me the basics?

griffljg
09-02-2010, 11:49pm
There are a great bunch of people in the Benalla Camera Club about 60 km down the road. I was a member when I worked for VicRoads in Benalla and found them to be very helpful and friendly.

Harves
10-02-2010, 5:41am
I'm not far away at Echuca, happy to meet you somewhere and get you started with it if you like.

ricktas
10-02-2010, 6:35am
Whilst you are learning, refer to New To Photography forum as well.

There are several reasons why you cannot get a photo of the spider, the most obvious one would be that you are getting to close for your lens to focus. Lenses have a minimum focus distance, which means there is a point that anything closer than that distance cannot be focused on. So say your lens has a minimum focus distance of 20 cm, that means that anything closer than 20cm to the lens, cannot be focused on. So move back a bit and try again. The minimum focus distance should be recorded in the documentation you received with your lens.

Dedicated macro lenses are designed to allow closer focusing (among other benefits), for this very reason. So if macro type work is one of the things you are interested in, down the track you will need to consider a macro lens addition to your kit. Welcome to the expensive world of photography :D

alacrity
10-02-2010, 8:19am
I'm planning on going through the learning plan on this site. I was just hoping to unpack the camera and be able to use it in the auto mode without having to read a manual though! No such luck.

abitfishy
10-02-2010, 8:57am
Don't loose hope! Once you get the basics, you'll LOVE your DSLR. It will be worth the learning curve. Good Luck.

rene52
10-02-2010, 9:00am
Sorry I missed your first post. I am a member of the Benalla Camera Club and get over to Shep on regular basis. Again if you want to meet up we can go through a few basics and get you started with your DSLR.

Rene

Speedway
10-02-2010, 9:08am
Something I always say but don't always follow. "If all else fails, read the manual".
Keith.

alacrity
10-02-2010, 12:36pm
Thanks guys for your support. Am definately intersted in macro, the ##### does say macro on it but I am presuming that doesn't necessarily mean it takes macro pics....

alacrity
10-02-2010, 5:53pm
I spelt lens wrong again didn't I?

ricktas
10-02-2010, 8:27pm
I spelt lens wrong again didn't I?

Yes...hehe.:D

jrdnc09
10-02-2010, 10:58pm
Keep up the practise.
I felt very overwhelmed when I unpacked my new camera. However a few months on, I feel i have learnt so much and had so much fun during the process, that is life long!!! I take my camera everywhere and take photos trying out different settings all the time----one day i might just it right!!

This site is invaluable for assistance and tips and you will find your feet soon, just keep shooting.
Good luck

alacrity
10-02-2010, 11:04pm
Thanks jrdnc09, it is nice to know I am not the only one feeling a bit out of my depth!

Ozzi Paul
10-02-2010, 11:15pm
The macro term is used pretty loosely by lens manufacturers these days. In most cases it just means the lens can focus reasonably close to your subject. For real macro photography you would need a proper dedicated macro lens.

Beee
29-07-2010, 12:01pm
Yes alacrity! Benalla Camera Club is a great place to learn and enjoy your photography!
Our website - http://benallacameraclub.webs.com has our details. You're welcome any time.
We have over 50 members at all stages of the photographic journey, all learning together.
See you sometime?

Beee
29-07-2010, 12:03pm
Thanks Larry for the reference to Benalla Camera Club.
Hope all's well for you. Bronwyn