PDA

View Full Version : How do they do that??? Interested to learn.

alextdel
08-02-2010, 10:34pm
I have been looking at the competition winning photographs. They are all superb.
:umm: What is the best protocol for finding the settings used, do I just ask within the thread, or is there a clever way of getting the information from the published photo? (In the same way that photos from the camera carry the metadata re shutter and exposure within the file. I kind of assume that the file format on the webpage doesn't carry this info - happy to be proved wrong!)
Cheers
Alex

kiwi
08-02-2010, 10:45pm
Hi mate, are you using IE ? If so download Opanda EXIF viewer, if firefox there's a plug in for EXIF viewers also

The settings will not tell you all that much though, just the camera settings

maccaroneski
08-02-2010, 11:05pm
I think anyone you ask will generally be flattered enough to give you all the gory details... so don't be shy.

ricktas
09-02-2010, 6:14am
As Darksome says, we remove all EXIF from competition entries to ensure the entry remain anonymous. So ask the winning photographer in the winners announcement threads. I am sure most would be happy to help.

However there is a lot more to a good photo that what settings were used, and it all takes time to learn. There could have been filters used on the lens, post processing to enhance it in their editing software and more. Learning to take photos like those that win our competitions takes time, practice and learning.

Post some of your photos in the members photos forums and read the feedback, work on it, and you will get better and better.

Dylan & Marianne
09-02-2010, 11:10am
More than happy to spill the beans on anything and I'm sure so would all of the other winners ( I think )
Most of it really goes with the old adage "practice makes perfect" , only perfect is just a goal , never truly obtainable :)

Avalon
09-02-2010, 11:31am
I had a look at your website dtoh,
I found it not only full of beautiful images,
but it has lots of info about how you create them too. :)
Thanks for sharing. :)

Dylan & Marianne
09-02-2010, 7:44pm
no worries - my view is that the more beauty we portray of the world and the more people who can do it in any medium, it's one of the roads to the corny but virtuous aim of world peace :)

seinfeld100
03-05-2010, 10:21pm
thanks for the info guys!

arthurking83
03-05-2010, 11:04pm
.... my view is that the more beauty we portray of the world and the more people who can do it in any medium, it's one of the roads to the corny but virtuous aim of world peace :)

:D

while World Peace sounds all inviting and and wonderful, I think it's not quite what it's cracked up to be!
Imagine how Robert Capa, Eddie Adams, Tim Page.. etc would never have made their mark on the world without the violence of war. :p

bigdazzler
04-05-2010, 8:08am
:D

while World Peace sounds all inviting and and wonderful, I think it's not quite what it's cracked up to be!
Imagine how Robert Capa, Eddie Adams, Tim Page.. etc would never have made their mark on the world without the violence of war. :p

I missed you AK .... :lol: