PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - USB Help

Kenny A
07-02-2010, 10:39am
Hi, I'm only new to the world of DSLR. I have just unpacked my new Nikon D5000... yippee.

Charged the battery, Inserted Memory card, taken 20 practice pics, load Nikon software. it all sounds good so far. connected USB lead to camera & PC and NO JOY....!!

Computer won't read the new hardware device. Plugged in my old OLYMPUS into the same port and it reads fine.

Have I missed something in the set up on the PC or the camera.

Any thoughts on what to do or try next would be appreciated....:umm::umm:

Cheers

DAdeGroot
07-02-2010, 10:41am
Have you launched the Nikon software and tried to import from there ?

Is the camera turned on ?

Have you read the manual ?

Miaow
07-02-2010, 11:00am
I'd say you'd need to install the software/drivers on the cd that came with it before it will recognise it - should all be in the manual :)

I @ M
07-02-2010, 11:04am
Kenny, if it is similar to other Nikon models there should be an option within the menu on the camera to set the USB option to a "mass storage device" and then any computer should recognise it as purely another "drive" connected to it.

If you have one, a card reader, either internal to the pc or external and connected by either USB or firewire is in my opinion a preferable way to transfer files.

accesser
07-02-2010, 11:56am
Yes if the Nikons have the mass storage option do that but it sounds like you need some drivers are you connected to the internet ? XP and later operating systems should just go out on the web and pull down drivers when you connect a new device.

If you really get stuck do you have a card reader ? you could use that rather than connecting the camera via USB cable.

arthurking83
07-02-2010, 1:39pm
You won't need drivers, unless you're using something like Windows 3.1 or something anyhow! :p

It's most likely the USB Mass Storage setting. I thought Nikons came with the default setting of Mass Storage, and not PTP.
The PTP setting is used when you tether the camera to the PC as a capture device.

A card reader is the best way anyhow... generally speaking, faster too.(and cheap)

Kenny A
07-02-2010, 6:06pm
Thanks for all the idea's.

I'll go with the card reader as it's appears to be the best all round option.

Cheers...:wd:

Roof
07-02-2010, 7:12pm
use another USB port, can make a difference

phild
07-02-2010, 8:04pm
Plugged in my old OLYMPUS into the same port and it reads fine.
I've seen the same problem with a PC at work that the boss downloads his Canon from. He simply unplugs and the USB port refuses to read anything including USB sticks.

Try using the Safely Remove hardware option (in the systray bottom RHS of screen) on the Olympus before plugging in the Nikon, it may be that the Olympus software hasn't released the USB port.

Kenny A
14-02-2010, 9:14am
Hi,

Ok..it's fixed.
The problem was the USB ports in the front panel of my PC which could not handle the high speed that is required for these DSLR cameras. Once I connected directly to the ports on the rear of the unit...bingo...everything worked nicely.

However...I'm also now a proud owner of a external card reader. A great little tool in it's self.

That's again for all the helpful tips.

Cheers...:):):)

Roof
14-02-2010, 11:50am
use another USB port, can make a difference

Ok..it's fixed.
The problem was the USB ports in the front panel of my PC which could not handle the high speed that is required for these DSLR cameras. Once I connected directly to the ports on the rear of the unit...bingo...everything worked nicely.

Told ya