PDA

View Full Version : Advise please

firefly
06-02-2010, 9:41am
I shot a few wedding photographs last weekend for a friend. In the morning it absolutley poured down then just in time for the ceremony it came out sunshine and happy days. The issue i have with some of the photographs is the glare from the drenched road/ground has put a few flared out spots in some of the photographs. I have never been presented with this issue before and I am just after some advise as to what I will need to do in the future to prevent this from happening. Thanks heaps :th3:

nigo75
06-02-2010, 12:00pm
Im only new to the game but im guessing a Polarizing Filter would help out not that I use one but they have been used in a few situations ive read about.......:umm:

firefly
06-02-2010, 7:28pm
I have a Polarizing filter but they are mainly for preventing colours from being washed out i.e. sky appears more vibrent a deeper blue then washed out I had a lens hood which is a given really, thanks any who for your help

Harves
06-02-2010, 8:05pm
A polarising filter can also reduce glare, but not in every case. Not sure how you would go with the loss of a couple of stops due to the filter.

arthurking83
06-02-2010, 9:37pm
another vote for the polarising filter.

the idea that the polariser is used to deepen the blue in skies(I think) is wrongly assumed.

It's one of the things that a polariser can do, but not all the time, and in every situation. So the assumption that this is the purpose of a polariser doesn't fit nicely!

A polariser can reduce glare by a significant amount in all situations, and eliminate it completely in some situations(but not all!).

I only wear polarised sunglasses, rain hail or shine, purely for that reason as my eyes have become overly sensitive to glare over the last few years :confused013

.... and the side benefit of wearing them almost all the time, is that you can instantly see where the blue sky is! :th3:

the loss of approx 1 stop of light in the shadow areas is worth it for the extra dynamic range it gives in the highlight areas, which is more like 2(maybe more) stops.

In cases where the highlights are going to seriously impact on the image, I meter off that part of the image and over expose them by 1-2 stops, knowing that in PP I can reduce them to manageable levels(shooting raw) and then recover as much shadow detail as possible without introducing excessive noise.

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:15pm
sometime turning the polarising filter a little can reduce glare on your subject.